Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
MILBRIDGE , ME
Good Sam club roadside assistance

Hello, all....I just recently picked up my new 19' CB Flying Cloud at Colonial Airstream (which, by the way, was awesome and very professional - highly recommended), and went on my first trip to Maine. Everything turned out really well, no major problems at all. In preparation for this trip, I joined the Good Sam club for a year because I figured what the hell...it's not too expensive, and I'll try it for a year to see what it's all about. Just the other day, I received an offer from them to join their roadside assistance plan for a reduced rate. I'd like your feedback on whether you think it's worth it, or if you have other recommendations. Is it all that it claims to be? Thanks for your help.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
We signed up for Good Sam and their Roadside Assistance for similar reasons, but have never had to ask for assistance.

FYI the new search function in the blue box above works great, so these other threads/posts may prove helpful:

https://www.google.com/search?q=good...com&gws_rd=ssl

Happy trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
We have Good Sam Roadside and while O haven't had to use it for Airstream we have used it a couple of times for vehicles and it has been very prompt
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Super cheap insurance if you are in the boonies

Participation in Roadside has been an on and off thing for us. We generally choose to activate a year's coverage when doing multi-month, nation-wide trips in any given year.

I do all my TV & trailer maintenance semi-annually and test every system before departing for any trips longer than a few days and within a short distance of home. Despite diligent attention to detail and lugging a fairly full set of spare parts (like bearings, etc.) so I won't get caught far from home without critical/hard-to-find speciality parts, we have called upon GSRA twice with our trailer in ten years. Both times the experience was excellent, prompt, and a real budget saver. An issue far from town, 6 states from home will truly spoil your day.

Luckily, the only non-trailer traveling event we experienced was when a squirrel ate the wiring harness of my wife's car over a weekend while visiting her sister's place. The tow truck was there within 30 minutes and the local dealer had her on the way the same day.

For what it has been worth to us... I'd say go for it.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Did you not get the free two years coverage with CoachNet when you purchased your new trailer?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
Rather than go with the Good Sam we went with enhanced AAA coverage - can't remember what is is called but it covers the Airstream too. I think it was cheaper than Good Sam and we have the AAA anyway for regular driving. When you need someone in the middle of nowhere chances are the same repair people are contracted to both companies anyway. Works for us.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
About 3 years ago we had a curbside rear tire blow at MP 235 on I-25, literally a few feet outside the Albuquerque City Limits, on a Sunday afternoon. First call was to Farmer's Insurance (included in our policy and I wanted to test it). Second call was to AAA (53 year member at that time). Third call was to Good Sam RA.
Both Farmers and AAA said they would have their service providers call, as did Good Sam.

First to callback was AAA who said it would be three to four hours.

Second callback was the Good Sam dispatcher who said they had their contractor on the phone and would transfer me to him so I could talk him in for a landing. Needless to say we went with Good Sam and the service was excellent.

Third callback, way too late, was Farmers who wanted $250 charged to a credit card before they could give us a time because we were beyond their service radius!!!

The only bad thing I could say about Good Sam was they sent a Line Backer who refused my offer of a torque wrench and ended up torquing my lug nuts beyond the 150# range of my torque wrench!

Needless to say we're big fans of Good Sam. They specialize in RVs and out-of the way places (if anyone is interested, I can tell you about their lockout service half way between Las Vegas, NM and Raton, NM in the middle of nowhere). Somehow I think the Gods of I-25 are against me.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
I have had Good Sam Roadside Assistance for approximately 20 years and I love it. I am glad to say that I have never had to use it on one of my RVs over the years but have used it many, many times for my other vehicles. Their service has always been helpful and quick - and I have never had to pay an extra fee. I would highly recommend getting the Good Sam Roadside Assistance.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Hi,
We joined Good Sam Roadside Assistance after a camper/ tow vehicle issue that involved my two brother-in-laws returning from a trip to the mountains. One brother-in-law's truck died on the side of Interstate-85 with camper attached. The other brother-in-law tried to help with the truck issue to no avail and wound up running his battery down. Long story short, they got back on the road again after a tow truck came for the tow vehicle and our nephew rescued the camper with his truck and jump started his dad's truck.

After this fiasco we did some research and picked Good Sam primarily for two reasons.
(1) They have a great app for your phone that let's them know exactly where you are when you call for assistance.
(2) They will tow your camper to the nearest campground if your tow vehicle has died and will also tow your tow vehicle.

By the way the brother-in-law with the tow vehicle with the dead battery, joined when we did and on his next trip out, he had a blow out on the side of interstate 40 and ripped the gas line out from under the trailer. Good Sam came promptly and towed the camper to a camper repair place on a Friday afternoon. The damage was too much to repair in an afternoon so they wound up bringing the camper home.

After all of this we also bought a lithium portable battery pack and battery operated safety hazard blinkers.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #10

1999 25' Safari
Charleston , South Carolina
Good Sam Roadside assistance

I highly recommend them. We have had nothing but good experience with them. They came to our aid many times throughout the years. Twice on an Easter Sunday afternoon. They sent out experienced servicemen who were able to get us on our way. We have our checklists and try to do our due diligence before each trip but have found there is always that element of surprise.
Libertyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
The one time I needed help, Good Sam was useless. After hours of waiting (and NOT hearing back from Good Sam) I finally was able to get the help I needed on my own. I never signed up with Good Sam again and, can NOT recommend them. I now have AAA Premium RV coverage.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
My brother in law broke down on the way to Alaska with his F-250 towing a fifth wheel. They had to get the whole rig towed many miles into the night. The towing bill was $2,200 and Good Sam covered it. If I recall you have to have the towing on your plan.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have had GS Road Service for 33 years. Nothing but the best of service. They have fetched the TT three times and family autos and TVs so many times I can't remember how many. If you had a bad experience it was probably a bad contractor whom I hope you reported to GSRS. On several occasion when I could not contact them they gladly reimbursed me for the service paid out of pocket. Overall, I would say they are outstanding.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
After 11 years and 68,000 miles, we finally got to call Good Sam. Our tow vehicle was making rattling noises the last 30 miles to the campground in a remote part of Utah. It sounds like it was coming from the area of the transmission, but I couldn't find anything loose. I called Good Sam and despite a very poor cell connection, they sent a tow truck from the place I was going to have look at the truck 30 miles away. No problems.

Turns out it was one of catalytic converters right next to the transmission—stuff banging around inside. Now i have to wait for the other one to go.

When we were on the Alaska Hwy, we heard stories like the one Brian posted above—maybe they are the same story, repeated over and over for many years. For large scale truck or SUV repairs, Whitehorse, Yukon, is the only place with dealerships for hundreds and hundreds and more hundreds of miles, at least Good Sam will take you the distance to where it can be fixed, not just at some gas station with one wrench and screwdriver.

There are different Good Sam memberships—there travel club gets discounts at RV CG's and Camping World (I think) and the roadside assistance is an insurance plan. First year with any roadside assistance plan is cheaper, sometimes much cheaper.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Get it. They are good. Worth the $. We like it because we have a single axle like the original poster...and stuff happens. We have other roadside services with our insurance, etc, but I've always felt like Good Sam a better grip on RVing than the others.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:04 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Tifton , Georgia
We've had GSRS and used them once two years ago. We had borrowed a friend's TT and lost a wheel bearing outside Amarillo, TX. Called GS who said they would contact service and call us back. They did but said it would be a 2 hour wait as tech was on another call. They checked back with us every half hour.

Tech arrived just over 2 hours later and found we required new bearings set plus new drum. Went to pick it up and back within 90 minutes, repaired and asked we follow him back to service center where he lubed other 3 wheels. Charges were over $500 out of pocket. Bearing set, seal and drum where about $140 of the total if I recall (it's been 2 years).

I understand having to pay for parts, but was told since tech had to make multiple trips we were responsible for any over the first. I had been under the impression they covered the service call and while we paid for parts, that would be all. At least that was how they explained it to us when we signed up.

Was the explanation wrong or where we ripped off? I've never been given an explanation by GS or CW. Right now we have coverage thru our insurance but am considering buying a Road Service specific policy.

Comments, explanations, etc is appreciated.
xyzabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
My experience was not so good with GS. We were in Bakersfield and locked ourselves out of our AS and truck. Called GS and they said MAYBE 2 hours. Booked it, waited 45 minutes and called our State Farm and State Farm was there in 45 minutes. Cancelled GS and then they showed up anyway at 2.5 hours after the call.
We signed up with Coach Net this year and have not had to use them yet!
Just our experience. I do continue to follow such threads as this.
Thx
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #18
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
We've had GS for years and I have had to use them several times during our travels, most recently in June near Ft Kearney, NE. As always, their service was prompt and communication was excellent.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:55 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
MILBRIDGE , ME
Mojo, Yes, thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about that what with everything involved in the orientation. In any case, it was valuable to get everyone's opinion on the GS roadside assistance program. Thanks again.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
I was AAA for many years. They didn't cover my trailer(s) without a rider. When I did call them, one night at the office, they said it would be an hour. It was two hours and I remembered I was sitting in the office with the keys to some company trucks. I met the AAA driver on my way out in the parking lot, 2.5 hours after the initial call and told him he wasn't needed any more.

Good Sam road side assistance covers all the cars, trucks, and trailers (5) for the same price, without extra riders. They come when called shortly there after. The money is about the same. Family is covered.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote