Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I like my beer cold. Very cold. A cooler is the perfect place to float my beers in ice. Every three years we end up buying a new one. I am going to seriously consider a Yeti now, for I want to put an end to the three year cycle. I also prefer them in a cooler, because as Shari said, the constant opening of the fridge makes it work much harder to keep the food cold. Buying ice is a minor inconvenience for the ability to have my beer super cold.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I think it's probably "Horses for courses."

For years, I managed to get by putting beer bottles in a nice cool trout stream to chill. But sometimes colder is better, so then I got an ice chest. Over time, two large bears smashed it open and ate the contents, and a guy hit it with a car once (no, don't ask!), but no real damage. But it did get "ugly" as the years wore on and the battle scars mounted, and so I bought a new one. Use it once or twice a year. It's gettin' "ugly" also.

Yeti is s'posed to be bear proof (though I doubt it - I've watched bears bend open or "peel" car doors in Yosemite) and it looks nice. But I suspect that over time it'll get "ugly" just the same.

And moslty an ice chest doesn't travel with me because of the room it would take up in the truck bed (probably could put the generator in it though) and because I get enough ice from the 'stream's fridge for my adult beverages and iced tea ... so I don't think I'll be getting one. I am with 2air here - I carry a little fold-up soft side thing to get stuff from market to 'stream fridge. But if I WERE gonna' get one, this guy looks real nice, no doubt about it.

Dang, maybe I just need a bigger truck or a bigger 'stream!

Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Man, some of you must not ...errr... "camp"... like I do. For a 3-day weekender, we fill the fridge and two ice chests, and still need to store warm drinks in the TV to rotate into the ice as needed.

This looks like a very cool cooler. Only thing missing is the long handle and wheels...

"Here's to you, Mr. Rolling Cooler Cooler Roller"
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #18
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
[QUOTE= many folks carry ICE makers and these are pretty cool gadgets too...
or use the small 12v chiller things '[/QUOTE]

we also started out with the cooler/buying ice thing.

our 22' AS only has the tiny refrig with the even smaller freezer. we doubled this by plugging in another compact refrig and running it while we drive or when we have shore power or use the generator.

it still took forever to make only a small amount of ice.

we recently bought a portable ice maker. just add water and soon you have more ice than you can use. we take the ice as it is made, put it into baggies and store in the freezers for late use. ours can be set to make several different size cubes.

runs real quiet and does not draw too much electric.
can be bought in stores or online [ebay, etc].

no more buying ice! no more warm beer!!

check them out and buy a good one.
worth every penny!

az-streamer

FCU WBCCI #1601
I Donít Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
The Silver Biscuit

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I was stoked about the Yeti until I broke down and bought one. Aside from being incredibly heavy, I didn't find it's ice holding performance to be any better than the higher line Igloos etc. I sold it on Craigslist out of frustration.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie39j View Post
I was stoked about the Yeti until I broke down and bought one. Aside from being incredibly heavy, I didn't find it's ice holding performance to be any better than the higher line Igloos etc. I sold it on Craigslist out of frustration.
My first impression while shopping was ICe retention for that kind of money has to be unbelieveable. But in reality, it can only a little better. Not a lot but a little.

You will end up buying more "Igloos" in the long run.

I do believe the ice retention will be superior<not by far superior> than normal ice chests just beacuse of the construction, seal gasket lids, 3" foam lid. Rotomolded...etc, but no miracle worker.

Some people buy these yeti's wanting miracles....They are NOT fridgrators. They are coolers. Ones that LAST.

OH FYI..I didn't buy it for the longevity of the ice. I hope it comes as a bonus,...which it should,,,,,but I bought it because it WILL be LAST one I'll ever buy. They are heirlooms!!! No joke.

I buy a new Ice chest every three years regurarly. Handles break. Drain cap pops off or breaks.....Lid hinges fall of...etc. This is a long term investment, just like my Airstream.

But, Opinions Vary.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #21
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
I think it's probably "Horses for courses."

For years, I managed to get by putting beer bottles in a nice cool trout stream to chill. But sometimes colder is better, so then I got an ice chest. Over time, two large bears smashed it open and ate the contents, and a guy hit it with a car once (no, don't ask!), but no real damage. But it did get "ugly" as the years wore on and the battle scars mounted, and so I bought a new one. Use it once or twice a year. It's gettin' "ugly" also.

Yeti is s'posed to be bear proof (though I doubt it - I've watched bears bend open or "peel" car doors in Yosemite) and it looks nice. But I suspect that over time it'll get "ugly" just the same.

And moslty an ice chest doesn't travel with me because of the room it would take up in the truck bed (probably could put the generator in it though) and because I get enough ice from the 'stream's fridge for my adult beverages and iced tea ... so I don't think I'll be getting one. I am with 2air here - I carry a little fold-up soft side thing to get stuff from market to 'stream fridge. But if I WERE gonna' get one, this guy looks real nice, no doubt about it.

Dang, maybe I just need a bigger truck or a bigger 'stream!
Bear Proof:

YouTube - YETI Coolers - Bear vs. YETI

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Yes, but ... these guys aren't doing what I saw bears do to my cooler twice: wind up and whack the lid from the side just as hard as they could - both times sent full (~70lb?) coolers flying 8-10' ... maybe the Yeti would stand up to that, maybe not. I'd bet not. But I am impressed with how much abuse it took, and how it took the weight load. And no matter what, it's a "cool cooler!" It's just a solution for no problem that I have.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
yep those 1/2 pint fridges in tiny'streams are a challenge. 2air'
Sadly you have just described our twenty five footers fridge.

Coupled with our favorite pastimes of boondocking in the desert all summer and we enjoy replacing our fluids one 12 ounce bottle at a time. An ice cooler is a critical piece of survival equipment.

Hauling the ice chests is no problem as two of them a generator, gas, firewood and other odds and ends all fit in the back of the truck.

Plastic Colemans have about a two year effective life before their ice holding ability plummets.

It seems though that a Yeti holds ice only a bit better than a fresh Coleman. Plastic Colemans are cheap. (Wait for the Big 5 yearly sale.) Seems using and then recycling the Colemans would be the way to go.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote