Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Has any of this story ever actually happened? If so a source would be nice to read.
Very possibly, most likely, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Overly dramatic!
I dealt with it for quite awhile at the Chevy Store....

I would have thought....but I guess not.

First 'up-grade' I did when we got the '06 Burb.....

Old OEM...

Reese V TowBeast...

Best advise so far....
........"If GM offers you a new hitch ask for the cash instead. Go get a real hitch from one of the many aftermarket folks. My 2004 2500HD hitch failed as did my 2007 2500HD. Cracks at the welds. GM round bar hitch is simply junk".....

You won't get any cash....maybe a hitch you can take home...... but thats about all.
I did advise a few of my customers to go buy a Reese that we installed, customer just paid the difference between warrantee time and menu price. GM just wants a warrantee return so they have a valid claim to charge the labor on.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Has any of this story ever actually happened? If so a source would be nice to read.
Not sure about the high speed version, but here is a low speed of the scenario.

https://www.instagram.com/p/e48kt1OOKb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/e479Z4uOJa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/fgSBAKOON_/

And notice my reply on the first image.. Airstream forums spreads the good word.

wandering_tim Well crap.. That does majorly suck. (Note to all who tow: Connect breakaway cable to something other than the hitch assembly. Ours is connected to a license plate bolt)

asolojourner @wandering_tim yes!! Why didn't they tell us that when they showed us how to hook everything up?? It makes SO much sense!

wandering_tim @the_ls_calypso I had no idea either. One time I posted our setup on Airforums and got the advice via friendly folks that way. You'd think a professional would know as well. I'm taking this afternoon to make sure all is well with our hitch. That is crazy scary. Hope it all works out ok.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Very possibly, most likely, for sure.

I dealt with it for quite awhile at the Chevy Store....

I would have thought....but I guess not.

First 'up-grade' I did when we got the '06 Burb.....

Old OEM...

Reese V TowBeast...

Best advise so far....
........"If GM offers you a new hitch ask for the cash instead. Go get a real hitch from one of the many aftermarket folks. My 2004 2500HD hitch failed as did my 2007 2500HD. Cracks at the welds. GM round bar hitch is simply junk".....

You won't get any cash....maybe a hitch you can take home...... but thats about all.
I did advise a few of my customers to go buy a Reese that we installed, customer just paid the difference between warrantee time and menu price. GM just wants a warrantee return so they have a valid claim to charge the labor on.

Bob
Thanks for the pictures. By overly dramatic I meant the description of a possible scenario, not the fact that the hitch could fail. This looks like the same hitch I had on a Chevy years ago, it was recalled then I think.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
A long time ago someone told me to spray paint my hitch as it was easier to spot a failure because the paint would crack. Anyone else heard of this?
Old 02-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
At the time I purchased the 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins, there was some chatter about failing welds where the hitch tube was welded to either side of the frame. Thus, I made the decision to acquire the Curt 15049 receiver.

I drilled a hole in the sheet metal below the tail gate and mounted an eye bolt to which I fasten the clip from the emergency battery power switch to the disc brake pump in case the truck and trailer get separated when under way.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Not sure about the high speed version, but here is a low speed of the scenario.

https://www.instagram.com/p/e48kt1OOKb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/e479Z4uOJa/

https://www.instagram.com/p/fgSBAKOON_/

And notice my reply on the first image.. Airstream forums spreads the good word.

wandering_tim Well crap.. That does majorly suck. (Note to all who tow: Connect breakaway cable to something other than the hitch assembly. Ours is connected to a license plate bolt)

asolojourner @wandering_tim yes!! Why didn't they tell us that when they showed us how to hook everything up?? It makes SO much sense!

wandering_tim @the_ls_calypso I had no idea either. One time I posted our setup on Airforums and got the advice via friendly folks that way. You'd think a professional would know as well. I'm taking this afternoon to make sure all is well with our hitch. That is crazy scary. Hope it all works out ok.

Thanks, that was a potential scary situation. I can imagine the outcome if that had been at high speed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
One of our Airstreaming colleagues had a hitch fall off a Chevy 2500HD as he pulled off the interstate entering a rest stop. He was astounded that it fell off when he was only going 15 mph and of course he had just been running 65 mph. He feels that it was just a matter of pure luck that it didn't let go on the interstate and all that could have come with that.

He too replaced it with a much heavier hitch. Sad that GM has continued to let this be an issue.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I have to wonder, with the huge number of GM trucks equipped with factory hitches, how many have failed? What percentage? I do not think I am going to run right out and replace mine even though my 25 is at the tongue weight limit for the factory hitch.
Larry
Old 02-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Forestville , California
My Chevy dealer called me yesterday to let me know about the recall and got me right in to fix it. Which is good because I leave on a 10000 mile trip on Sat.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Good dealer!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Even with my dodge, I check the welds and all often looking for cracks, is painted and shiney so rust and crack will show if it is there....

Tags