Old 07-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Wow! My 454 with 84k on it has to st for days for it to happen. Now my Yota is a rattler but at 195,000 miles I'm not real upset about it.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:48 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
If you hear noises ,and it makes you nervous ....don't buy it. It will only get worse, ..but then maybe you like to spend money. I have been driving and towing since 1950 and when after many years and miles it starts that noise I sell it before it becomes obvious.
The only engines that I know that click and clatter at start up are Rolls Royce Merlins.
But they are not for the average guy.They start at 2500 HP

Rae

Old 07-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Talked with the dealer I bought my SS from. Really nice guy, no BS or anything like that. I asked him about the piston slap issue. Told me that there have been issues, but nothing that he has seen first hand. I then got the standard GM company line about some knock won't hurt, etc, blah, blah, blah, then I asked him to look at Duramax/Allision crew cabs.

I like the 6.0L and also like the 8.1L, but to be honest, between what has been posted on this forum, www.pistonslap.com and the dealer ack that there have been issues, is enough to keep me away from plunking down $40k on a truck that **might** develop issues sooner or later. I guess I kind of look at it this way, if someone told me that a certain type of boat had issues, might be fine, but could have issues, would I get on board for a Lake Michigan boat ride? I also understand that there might be a whole bunch of emotions and amplified issues that increase the hype to the piston slap issue, however, as one person pointed out, with my luck, I'd prob get the clunker that had the issue and it would really upset me (moreso than any QC issues I've had with my 'stream).

Do I want to take that $40k chance?

I'd be really interested in hearing if any of you Duramax folks have had any issues, particularly when it comes to oil consumption. Maybe I'll start a different thread though.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Eric

Perhaps it the thin air at this altitude - have had several vehicles that use a bit of oil between changes

Anyway, I understand your decision - seems that buying a GM product is a 50/50 deal these days. I have a good friend who has had several Surburbans - this last one - 2003 is nothing but trouble for him - piston slap and has had electic problems too - like had to be towed once because it would not start - something to do with a defective security system. So he's gonna buy one of those new 4 door Toyota pickups.

One of the reasons I went ahead and bought a GM product is because I got a screaming deal on it $5,000 below invoice (yes you heard right) and I guess I lucked out, because I REALLY like the truck.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 11:54 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ken,

If it works for you that is great. Alt could have something to do with it.

I am very happy to hear when folks are pleased with a fairly large purchase. You hit the nail right on the head. 50/50. That seems like a hell of a chance given the cost...and that's not easy to ack given what a GM advocate I am. Now I know Airstreams have issues, but they have a better hit rate than 50/50 on the main components.

The whole thing that got me started on finally looking at a truck, was the accident I saw on my way home from Mackinaw and my displeasure of how my current rig handled when higher winds were around. Plus going up hills on the hwy really takes it's toll. I mean if I was going 65, I'd drop down to 50 so that I wouldn't have to downshift all the time (which is what tow/haul helps with).

At any rate, now that I am serious about looking into a new truck, I seem to keep peeling layer upon layer of stuff with the gassers GM has out. Guess this is what folks call doing homework. Funny thing is that the Duramax diesel folks have darn close to a 95% satisfaction rate. I even posted a thread here asking folks that I know will tow and their info was very positive as well, as was most of the info on thedieselplace website.

The diesel does come at a premium, but if I can get an '04 with all these discounts they are offering...seems like a good idea...if I can find one.

Eric
Old 07-24-2004, 08:23 AM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_safari
The old 5.7 was so incredibly reliable. What happened?

john
GM seems to be sacrificing tolerances for better MPG, for the CAFE standards. The more metal they can take out of the engine, and the more of the engine they can make out of aluminum the better mpg it gets,because it weighs less. Unfortunately some of them sound like a coffee grinder with a broken gear. A friend bought a brand new Tahoe, had the same issues with noise. His noise did go away after about 10,000 miles, but I would not have been so patient with it. And I don't know if the noise will come back, pretty bad for something that costs anywhere from $20-40,000 depending on what vehicle it is in. For that amount, I want it to serve me drinks, and drive itself down the road. Silently.
Terry
Old 07-24-2004, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I also researched the engine noise issue and found that it wasn't isolated to GM. There's also Ford piston slap websites and some individual Dodge threads. It does appear that it's gradually improved over the past 3 years. I went ahead and ordered the 8.1 liter Suburban with 4.1 for the wheel base and muscle.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tin Hut is right, I have seen and heard about other manufacs that also have similar issues. I was singling out GM since that is what I want to go with.

Tin Hut, when the truck shows up, what do you think you'll do if if has some knock when it starts up?
Old 07-24-2004, 08:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

what if

Blame it on my wife and drink heavily of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Tin Hut is right, I have seen and heard about other manufacs that also have similar issues. I was singling out GM since that is what I want to go with.

Tin Hut, when the truck shows up, what do you think you'll do if if has some knock when it starts up?

Old 07-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
My understanding is the 8.1 does have a much much better track record than the 6.0 - At the time I bought mine it was my understanding that 6.0 was the problem engine, had heard great things about the 8.1 - I know several people who have the 8.1 and really like it, the only bad things I've heard about the 8.1 are on web sites. It was Charlie Burke (well know Airstream tech guy) who convinced me to get the 8.1. I have to say, I would/will get another one.

I know you looked at that one Suburban, have you thought about finding another one? As we mentioned, they can be a bit chattery at startup - but should not knock.

And yes the Duramax has an even better record.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-24-2004, 09:03 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
OMG Tin Hut, I busted a gut laughing on that one!

Ken, I have been looking. Problem is that the 3/4 tons are fairly rare to start with (at least 3 dealers said the same thing). There are units out there, but in most cases they are a hundred or more miles away.

It's a bit hard to believe that there are more Duramax/Allison pickups out there than 3/4 ton Burbans, but I guess that should not be as shocking since I think GM sells by far, more 3/4 ton pickups than it does 3/4 ton Suburbans.

The search goes on. The one thing that I do know is that something has to replace the Impala SS as the primary tow vehicle.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I would think there are lots more Duramax pickups around than 8.1 Suburbans. Most of the 3/4 ton Burbs are 6.0. In my view for the small difference in gas mileage and a huge performance increase, I don't know why folks would not go with the 8.1 in the burbs, I think most think you'll get 6 miles to the gallon, so you don't see many 8.1's out there unless they are special order.

I really like that Impala SS - are you gonna hang on to it? Collector care for sure.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 07-24-2004, 09:42 AM   #27
Rivet Master

weight

Another thing that surprised me was weight/towing capacity between the 6 liter and 8.1 If you look at GVWR your really don't get that big boost in tow capacity until you get to the 8.1 Add 4 WD on the 6 liter and it really drops the capacity unless you go with the 4.1 gear ratio. I figured I might as well get the 8.1 and the 4.1 since the increase cost of the larger engine wasn't much. The 2005 model subs also have the in dash navigation system.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
There are units out there, but in most cases they are a hundred or more miles away.
eric

i think that you may find more 3/4 tons the father away from chi town.

you might want to try some of the smaller dealers up north of the wi/ill. border.

you might be suprized what you find once you get away from suburbia, the warranty will be honored no matter where you by it.

john