Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Giving up the Airstream dream for now

I got a great deal on a Keystone Vantage 19UL and will be using that for the next few years. I put it in the category of "next best thing" and may upgrade a few odds and end on it to make it more AS-like.

I bought this thing for $15k brand new and so far it's been absolutely problem free, tows great and is unusual compared to regular fiberglass trailers. The downside is it's kinda heavy at 5,000 lbs, but I have a big truck, so it's no problem.

Someday I might be able to justify the $80-90k for a new AS, but not at this time with the priorities I have for my $$.

Love the forum though, and I will probably stick around a bit for ideas, etc.
wncrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
You could have bought a nice used Airstream for 15k. I only paid 7k for mine and it was ready to roll. No way I could afford a new one either.

Enjoy your Keystone. If ever you decide to buy an Airstream, they will be available in all sorts of condition, sizes, ages, and prices.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
I got a great deal on a Keystone Vantage 19UL and will be using that for the next few years. I put it in the category of "next best thing" and may upgrade a few odds and end on it to make it more AS-like.

I bought this thing for $15k brand new and so far it's been absolutely problem free, tows great and is unusual compared to regular fiberglass trailers. The downside is it's kinda heavy at 5,000 lbs, but I have a big truck, so it's no problem.

Someday I might be able to justify the $80-90k for a new AS, but not at this time with the priorities I have for my $$.

Love the forum though, and I will probably stick around a bit for ideas, etc.
I had to Google that trailer but it looks pretty nice. Glad that you're staying for the fun

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Airstream owner, Thor Industries, also owns Keystone; so you are not straying far. Also, the Keystone floor plan looks similar to a 19-foot Bambi.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
BAH! HUMBUG!

No one ever gives up the dream, you're just going through some practice with the training model. (Had a Coleman pop up for years, lol) Take good care of it, and it'll be the nice trade in for your Dream Come True.

I'm still working towards my dream of a 27' International Sterling, without the current UGLY flooring.
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Airstream owner, Thor Industries, also owns Keystone; so you are not straying far. Also, the Keystone floor plan looks similar to a 19-foot Bambi.
I was wondering why they were getting sued for infringement until I realized they were both owned by the same folks.

Vantage is discontinued though. Guess they figured that people would pay 1/2 the price of an AS for a premium trailer, but they guessed wrong. AS is the only brand that command those kind of prices.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Congratulations on your new trailer and enjoy it, no matter what the brand might be.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
It looks pretty nice on their site. Enjoy it.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
They look nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keystone Vantage 19ul.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	189896  
Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
OP: I looked seriously at those before buying my vintage Airstream. The 19 is actually 23ft overall. If I could of gotten the deal you did I would of bought one. Too bad they saw fit to drop them from the line. I am ready to move up in size and might have to do some shopping around and see was is still available. Please give us a review when you get a chance.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Man that is a cool camper! Tell us how it goes!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
I've been out a few times in it. It has the torsion axles and 16" wheels, so it tows phenomenally well. The biggest plus is the size of the kitchen area and the bath. You do give up a walk-around bed. It may be a bit tight for a couple that isn't coupling all night . I've encountered a few travelers with the 29 and 32' models at rest stops. Those models seem unwieldy to me and are much heavier than advertised. Glad I stayed on the smaller size.

Like the idea of no slides to worry about. Wish it had a power awning. Wish the under sofa storage was hinged somehow - it's a pain to get in there - but it's spacious. I may change out the AC unit for a more lower profile unit - just for aesthetic reasons. I may also veneer the countertops with quartz material. I am going to put additional batteries and a dedicated charger and inverter for boon docking trips. I may also swap out one of my roof vents for one with a fantastik vent fan. Tanks are more than adequate for my short trips. Not sure a week long trip would work without using a blue boy.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Enjoy it and have fun with it. Wait for your warranty to expire before you do any upgrades. We all have our wish list and our remodeled/refurbished/renovated/renewed/re-purposed Airstreams all end up on the same forum site.

Enjoy the journey and safe travels. Happy Fourth, what a way to kick it off! Take advantage with the Vantage!

SL4BLLT
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote