Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
Give me advice for a new airstreamer in NV!!

Hey, I just got a 2009 25' International Signature and I will be bringing her home this week.

I'd like to get some opinions from you experienced folks as to WHAT I SHOULD GET for my new AS. Tell me about things you wished you've had when you first bought your AS.

This is the first time for our family to own a camping trailer, so we're buying basic stuff like locks for the trailer, my wife is covering up some cushions so that kids don't mess them up. Tell me what else I NEED, SHOULD get for our brand spanking new AS, thanks
lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
A foam mattress for the front bed, nice chairs for outside, a Weber Q 220, and bicycles.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings lvcat2004!

Welcome to the world of Airstreaming!

Among the things that you may want to purchase at the dealership if not included with the purchase would be:
  • At least 75' of high quality white RV potable water hose. You will find cheaper at WalMart, but based on the three that I purchased at the beginning of the season they only last at most for three trips before the connectors begin to leak uncontrollably. I purchased these to replace the 14 year-old hoses that I purchased at my Airstream dealer when he set up my tow vehicle.
  • At least 20' of high qualite sewer hose with the required connector for your coach (probably Thetford -- quality that far outlasts Valtera -- IMHO) as well as the angled connector for the campground sewer connecion.
  • A 25' heavy duty RV extension cord to match the service on your coach -- either 30-AMP or 50-AMP.
    • 30-AMP to 15-AMP converter plug
    • 30-AMP to 50-AMP converter plug
      • I have found it beneficial to have the basic plug type as well as the similar model with the short pigtail as one will not always work with the box found in some campgrounds.
  • An external water pressure regulator to protect your potable water hose as well as your coach (connects directly to park water supply).
  • A plug-in 120-Volt AC voltage monitor -- this is helpful to protect your air conditioner from low voltage situations -- the typical RV model has the safe voltage levels shaded in green.
  • A plug-in ground fault/polarity check device -- it has three LED lights that illuminate in different configurations to tell you if there is a problem with the park's electrical delivery system.
  • At least one-quart of Walbernize for your coach's finish.
  • The suggested shampoo for your Zip Dee awning(s)
  • A dump valve terminator cap with the extra garden hose connector if you plan on rallying or caravanning.
Some other things that I would suggest would include:
  • A set of McKesh or equivalent premium towing mirrors if your tow vehicle does not have wide-reach towing mirrors among its optional equipment. Proper rear-view mirrors are an investment in long-term safety.
  • Two of each color clearance/marker light lenses -- may save great inconvenience if one is damaged by road debris or in the process of replacing a defective bulb.
  • A spare set of tail light lenses if your coach doesn't have the LED light package.
  • A spare emergency crank handle for your electric tongue jack.
  • A spare tire and wheel if your coach doesn't already have one as one of its options/standard equipment.
  • A spare cartridge or two for the on-board water filter if your coach has one of these installed.
  • A premium 24" level to assist in leveling the coach when parking as well as the generally recommended min-levels to check that the freezer is level.
  • Leveling blocks (orange "leggos") if you prefer an alternative to lengths of boards for leveling.
  • At least 4 wheel chocks for securing wheels when parked.
  • A half-dozen high-quality hose washers for your potable water hoses and water pressure regulator.
  • A can of Silicone lubricant for the arms on your ZipDee awning(s).
  • A quality torque wrench with proper socket for the lugs on your coach's aluminum wheels if so equipped -- any time one of these wheels is removed, it is necessary to retorque once every 50 miles for the first 100 or 200 miles depending upon which recommendation that you follow.
  • A high-quality tire guage to check the pressure in the tires on your coach as well as tow-vehicle -- I carry one made for over-the-road truckers that measures to more than 100 p.s.i.
  • A small 120-Volt AC compressor to fill tires before departing campground -- I have found this to be a much easier solution than trying to find a fuel station with a working, accessible air supply station.
Good luck with your new coach, and enjoy the adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
Kevin, that is an amazing list, exactly what I was looking for. There is a Camping World nearby that seems to have a lot of the stuff that you listed above, but can I purchase some of this stuff at Wal-mart and such??

Thanks again and keep it coming if anyone else has other suggestions.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up

WoW Kevin, impressive!

I kept looking for something to add and only come up with:

Silver bubble wrap type insulation, cut for solar guards and skylights during summer months.

A fly swatter.

12' Teloscoping ladder.

Get on the roof and check for cracks at all screw location on the skylight (solar dome)

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anniston , Alabama
An outdoor rug approx. the size of your awning. After many, many purchases, we've finally found one that's easy to clean and lasts a long time. Leisure Mat - Item - Camping World

"It is better to wear out than to rust out"......Wally Byam
happycamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings lvcat2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcat2004 View Post
There is a Camping World nearby that seems to have a lot of the stuff that you listed above, but can I purchase some of this stuff at Wal-mart and such??
I buy many of my camping supplies at WalMart, and most are name brand, high quality products. The RV potable water hoses are the only items that I have purchased among their RV supplies that have been of inferior quality -- and it is possible that I just happened to get three defective hoses. The one thing to be aware of is that the sewer accessories that they carry are Valtera, and you will likely find that your coach has Thetford fittings which are best purchased from your dealer or ordered from Camping World -- I have found that the Camping World stores that I have visited usually do not stock the Theford components, but they are readily available through the catalog (one of the reasons that I always carry spares).

Another item that I would caution against buying from WalMart is the torque wrench. A Sears Craftsman will be more expensive, but comes with a lifetime guarantee and is known as a quality product. You may also need an extension as well to give you adequate leverage when checking lug nut torque -- unless the specifications have changed, wheel lugs are usually torqued to 100 ft. pounds. Another possible source for a quality torque wrench might be found through your regular mechanic -- just explain to him/her what your need and why, and he or she may be able to point you in another direction.

Enjoy your adventure!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
These are the items I use the most often:

Toothbrush
Down comforter
French press
corkscrew
credit card

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
Janet - you go girl! I'm with you!

I am driving to California to live in my new beauty for the 1st time. She will be at a park for my school year. I have pictures but won't actually see her until I arrive at the park where she will be.

What should I bring for her? I only have a Cherokee and what will fit in her to take. I will bring some of my kitchen items (gotta have the coffee pot!) and bedding etc, what else? I would love the outdoor carpet, thanks for that link, but I'll probably have to do Walmart on my budget for the time being. I will have my desktop and a printer so will need to hook that all up. There is not a TV in it, but that is ok. A small stero I will bring with my music.

What else can anyone think of? How do you vacuum the carpet? Do I need to insulate the water lines in northern Calif where it does snow, but not much?

Thanks for any ideas. I too loved the extensive list above, but I'm not towing, so all that I don't need.
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
Durango , Colorado
How do you add images to your profile? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!
connorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Great Lists! I remember, one year ago, I was asking the same questions. Until you get out there, you never know what you would like to have - but there are those items that you need to have. I carry an extra extension cord for plugging in. I've had to use it twice as the only available box was more than 25' away from my AS. I would recommend the purchase of the multiple locks available from any supply store. You can lock a ball in your hitch when not it use; lock the latch down so noone can open it to hitch up and thirdly, a lock that keeps my hitch on the tow vehichle (TV). One key operates all three of the locks - I use them all the time. The knowledge knowing the locks are in place gives me a lot of comfort when we are away from the AS.

I like having an extra cell phone charger on the AS so I don't have to worry about carrying one with me all the time. Batteries - lots of batteries for the camera, and so many ofther items that constantly need to have a set of batteries to keep it's life going.

I had purchased flapper stoppers to keep the awning from blowing in a hard wind. I ran into another AS owner at a campground that had an older set - he didn't like his stoppers and I did - I liked his model better than my new ones. He liked my new ones - they fit his awning. We traded and I've never been disappointed in them. I have straps that run across the awning in case of a really hard wind - but, when that happens, I usually put the awnings away. I feel safer that way.

Best wishes - just think, next year at this time, you'll be answering these questions for other newbies. ENJOY!!
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
A few things we have or still want to bring along.
Good folding chairs for outside.
Outdoor carpet for under the awning.
Seat covers. (dogs, kids or the beach can really trash the seat cushions)
External pessure regulator for city water.
Extra hose and extra waste water hose. (they alway seem to break at the worst times)
A portable generator for remote camping.
A blue-boy.
A small portable grill.
Spare lamps and fuses.
A shower tent. (our trailer has the outside shower, beach sand is best left outside the trailer)
A portable darkroom - OK, this is my hobby. You need to bring what ever you like to do.
Outdoor lighting, this can be anything you like to add a little light outside.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
A few things we have or still want to bring along.
Good folding chairs for outside.
Outdoor carpet for under the awning.
Seat covers. (dogs, kids or the beach can really trash the seat cushions)
External pessure regulator for city water.
Extra hose and extra waste water hose. (they alway seem to break at the worst times)
A portable generator for remote camping.
A blue-boy.
A small portable grill.
Good tips.
Not so sure about the BLUE BOY. Where do you hang it?
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A sense of humor.

Patience
Old 07-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I also bring a small electric heater for when hooked up so I don't have to use the furnace to keep the trailer warm at night. A cheap $10 one keeps my 28' trailer warm even in high 30 degree temps...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The electric heater's a good idea. We got a ceramic disc unit and use their electricity instead of our propane when we can. Got it at the end of winter on sale real cheap. I also have a 2' latter I bring which makes reaching the awning locks and washing windows a lot easier.

Kevin
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
A few questions:

What type electrical cable do you use at home to charge up the battery, for example the day before going on a trip. I've seen 15 Amp at Walmart, is that enough for just charging and running the referigerator running?

Sewer hose: I've only seen the twist on fittings with hooks sticking out, I don't know what Thetford fittings look like. And where do you store that 90 deg. elbow that goes into the sewer drain?? I think my AS has a hose storage tube, but not sure about the elbow. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings lvcat!

Quote:
A few questions:

What type electrical cable do you use at home to charge up the battery, for example the day before going on a trip. I've seen 15 Amp at Walmart, is that enough for just charging and running the referigerator running?
I suspect, that in the long-run, you will be better satisfied with a dedicated outlet for your coach. With a dedicated 30-AMP 120-Volt AC circuit, you can safely run your air conditioner while loading/unloading your coach --- I know that it certainly makes those two chores much more pleasant here in the Midwest. If you choose to go with an extension cord, be sure to use an extra heavy cord (I would just use an RV 30-AMP extension cord and place the adapted right at the outlet on the house). Charging the batteries and operating the refrigerator "should" be possible on a 15-AMP circuit.

Quote:
Sewer hose: I've only seen the twist on fittings with hooks sticking out, I don't know what Thetford fittings look like. And where do you store that 90 deg. elbow that goes into the sewer drain?? I think my AS has a hose storage tube, but not sure about the elbow. Thanks.
Thetford fittings can generally be identified by their color. Most (if not all) Thetford fittings are white, while most (if not all) Valtera fittings are black.

My solution for the sewer hose and fittings is determined by the coacch. My Overlander doesn't have a bumper storage compartment as it was removed by a previous owner, so I carry all of my sewer fittings in a large, green Rubbermaid box -- when towing with the Suburban it rides in the rearmost corner of the cargo area -- when towing with the Cadillac, it rides right at the door and is the first thing removed when the door is opened. The Minuet has a bumper storage compartment where the sewer hose and fittings are stored as well as the electric cable.

Enjoy your new adventure!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I've got an 08 Safari with that storage tube. It's a joke. About all you can do is store a spare waste water hose in it. I keep my working hose in a tube that goes in the back of my truck. What was AS thinking when they did away with the bumper storage?
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

I like the tube'r.

After storing the slinky in the bumper locker for 18 seasons I was happy to get the "tube". It would slink all over the compartment taking up a lot more room than necessary. Plus it was always wet, and whatever else was stored there had a good chance of getting a little cr@pie.
I bought a 25 footer when we got the Classic, only had to cut about three feet off to get it in the storage tube. Haven't really needed anything longer....yet.