Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I also bring a small electric heater for when hooked up so I don't have to use the furnace to keep the trailer warm at night. A cheap $10 one keeps my 28' trailer warm even in high 30 degree temps...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
The electric heater's a good idea. We got a ceramic disc unit and use their electricity instead of our propane when we can. Got it at the end of winter on sale real cheap. I also have a 2' latter I bring which makes reaching the awning locks and washing windows a lot easier.

Kevin

Old 07-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
A few questions:

What type electrical cable do you use at home to charge up the battery, for example the day before going on a trip. I've seen 15 Amp at Walmart, is that enough for just charging and running the referigerator running?

Sewer hose: I've only seen the twist on fittings with hooks sticking out, I don't know what Thetford fittings look like. And where do you store that 90 deg. elbow that goes into the sewer drain?? I think my AS has a hose storage tube, but not sure about the elbow. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Give me advice for a new airstreamer in NV!!

Greetings lvcat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcat2004 View Post
A few questions:

What type electrical cable do you use at home to charge up the battery, for example the day before going on a trip. I've seen 15 Amp at Walmart, is that enough for just charging and running the referigerator running?
I suspect, that in the long-run, you will be better satisfied with a dedicated outlet for your coach. With a dedicated 30-AMP 120-Volt AC circuit, you can safely run your air conditioner while loading/unloading your coach --- I know that it certainly makes those two chores much more pleasant here in the Midwest. If you choose to go with an extension cord, be sure to use an extra heavy cord (I would just use an RV 30-AMP extension cord and place the adapted right at the outlet on the house). Charging the batteries and operating the refrigerator "should" be possible on a 15-AMP circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcat2004 View Post
Sewer hose: I've only seen the twist on fittings with hooks sticking out, I don't know what Thetford fittings look like. And where do you store that 90 deg. elbow that goes into the sewer drain?? I think my AS has a hose storage tube, but not sure about the elbow. Thanks.
Thetford fittings can generally be identified by their color. Most (if not all) Thetford fittings are white, while most (if not all) Valtera fittings are black.

My solution for the sewer hose and fittings is determined by the coacch. My Overlander doesn't have a bumper storage compartment as it was removed by a previous owner, so I carry all of my sewer fittings in a large, green Rubbermaid box -- when towing with the Suburban it rides in the rearmost corner of the cargo area -- when towing with the Cadillac, it rides right at the door and is the first thing removed when the door is opened. The Minuet has a bumper storage compartment where the sewer hose and fittings are stored as well as the electric cable.

Enjoy your new adventure!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I've got an 08 Safari with that storage tube. It's a joke. About all you can do is store a spare waste water hose in it. I keep my working hose in a tube that goes in the back of my truck. What was AS thinking when they did away with the bumper storage?
Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 AM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

I like the tube'r.

After storing the slinky in the bumper locker for 18 seasons I was happy to get the "tube". It would slink all over the compartment taking up a lot more room than necessary. Plus it was always wet, and whatever else was stored there had a good chance of getting a little cr@pie.
I bought a 25 footer when we got the Classic, only had to cut about three feet off to get it in the storage tube. Haven't really needed anything longer....yet.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote