Old 07-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2006 19' International CCD
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Getting the Upgrade Bug

Hello All,
Just completed a five day trip and am really enjoying the airstream world. Nice to have a consistent high quality retreat to go back to at night.
Our 19' international is and amazing little "loft" however we are starting to feel like it may be a bit too tight for the 3 of us, especially with a little one that still must sleep with mommy.
We have a VW Touareg and don't plan on upgrading the TV, so looks like maybe 23' or 25' could be options. We don't like carpet or the furry walls, so are thinking international line again.
We saw the 25' FB on our trip and liked the layout. We also saw a 23' and it felt like ours but stretched out a bit. Like the extra sofa/bed and the increased storage.
Would love the thoughts of the 23' enough of a change or is 25 the way to go?

A few concerns we also have:
1) towing with the says 7700lbs and 25 would push it to the max
2) resale...the little guys hold their value well, my guess is the 23 and 25 dont as well. any big differences between the 2 of them?

ericwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
Hi Eric, we upgraded from a 19' to a 23FB and have not regretted it since. We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland and traded that in for a wider wheel base Chrysler Aspen. If you want to see how your TV performs with a 23' I recommend going to a dealer, hooking it up and taking it around to see how it will handle. Wheelbase is really a big component for safety, coupled with load weight of trailer, loaded weight of TV - with people and cargo. If the VW has a suspension that drops dramatically when a heavier trailer is dropped onto it, you might want to stay with the 19'.

ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
We chose the 25' Safari FB Twin bed model. We have a 2007 so there is carpet just in the bedroom but a sleek aluminum interior. I like that the shower and toilet are separate. The layout is wonderful but I'm a more than a little prejudiced.

We are newbies but our 18yo sons camped with us a couple of weeks ago and we had plenty of room to move around during the day and although a tight squeeze to get by #1 son sacked out on the couch with the pull out extender shelf, it was do-able. The four of us were able to sit around the table to have lunch as well. I must admit DS and I claimed the long couch side to spread out a bit

If your little one is booting you out of bed (been there alas long ago), my DSs are both 5'11" and they fit just fine on the couch and dinette for beds.

I will leave the TV discussion to others. It was a very large issue for us choosing our AS. After squeezing my 6'2" hubby into the corner bed while looking at the 23' we knew we were looking at a 25' for our own.

Have fun dreaming!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Size Matters

I did upgrade from a 22' CCD to a 25 FB SE Safari.

One thing about the smaller one I liked better was that I could park it in 2 parking spaces end to end. I fulltime and really needed a bigger one, however if I were using it for short trips only I'd keep the smaller one - easier to get into a gas station or grocery store parking lot, easy to park about anywhere and camp about anywhere. Perfect for a weekend - easy to hitch up and just go.

Do look around, but ask how you plan to use it. Upgrading is probably will be wise as your child grows, but it might well be put off for another year or two. ....Important to consider that if you wait a while, you'll probably also be ready to trade in your vehicle... And in a couple of years you might want a 27 footer.

Upgrading - once is enough. (take this from someone who wants a 27)

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You'll find a lot of us that have gone the 19' to larger path. Me being one of them.

I know what the numbers say and know all too well what the Canadians will say, but you are right on the money. About as big as I'd go is 23' with a T-Rex...any larger and you are talking 3 1/2 tons of RV with about 900lbs of hitch weight going larger. T-Rex was never designed for those weights, though folks do move large trailers with them...there is a major difference between moving something and towing something. I nearly found out that lesson the hard way. Hopefully you won't have to.

Airstreams are measured hitch to can easily take 3' off the total length and that is your interior space.....if you go larger than 23', I would in fact trade the T-Rex for something more robust..wheelbase shortness aside, it's unibody vehicle.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
I have a 2008 23' (rear bed, probably same bed layout as your 19') which we've had for a year. At first I thought the bed was too small but that was when we were sleeping head forward. now we always sleep head toward the back and even with the mrs being 8 months pregnant it actually doesn't feel tight. Yeah you wake the other person up when one has to get up for the bathroom in the middle of the night, but my guess is unless you drink heavily that's going to be the case in any trailer.

In terms of watching prices on rvt, my sense is that there are tons more 25' FBs than 23' FBs or 23' rear beds, so I think the smaller 23' seem to hold their prices a little better (new vs. slightly used). I really wanted the 16 footer and my wife (fiancee at the time) convinced me that like diamonds, bigger is always better. I'm glad I listened to her, particularly on the latter point.
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #7

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

Another vote for a 25' Airstream anything.....used.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Search for posts from devoman and westfalia on this site. They both have Touaregs and have upgraded from 19's to 23's and 25's. If you have a V8 with air suspension, you should be fine, but you may want to PM these guys for answers to your questions about going larger. The Touareg is a great tow vehicle for the smaller trailers.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we looked for three years before buying our 25'er and had purchased our tow vehicle first. There was two of us and two little dogs at first, but now just us. We have the rear queen with mouse fur walls, vinyl headliner, and carpet only in the bedroom. We loved the floor plan, even more since I remodeled our livingroom. Some people move up once and others move up twice or more. Time to do some real serious thinking this time even if it means a larger capacity tow vehicle. You might not be happy if you move up to a 23'er; And you won't be happy with a 25'er either if you keep your same tow vehicle.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote