Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Getting closer

Yesterday we finally had an opportunity to stop by Bill Thomas in Wentzville, MO. A young man named Matthew Elbert showed us a 2005 Classic 30SO that looked pretty good at first glance. Looks like the number on the front was 3178. Anyone know this coach?

What sort of issues should we look at if we get serious about this one?

One concern, and maybe I just wasn't reading the label correctly, is that I thought the sticker on the front left said GW of 9100 pounds, but just now I printed out the spec sheet and it shows a GW of 10,300 pounds.

Jo Ann has always wanted a slide, and I've been resisting them, since they generally reduce storage space and add weight and maintenance issues. Matthew said the slide only adds 300 pounds, but according to the spec sheet it actually adds 647 pounds. Since GW goes up by 300, though, the net weight cost is actually more like 350 pounds, so maybe that's what he was talking about.

He also said that it has electric jacks that are to be used to level the coach. They might be electric, but I thought that the electric tongue jack is used for leveling fore and aft and boards under the wheels for leveling side to side, and the stabilizers (jacks?) are only to minimize movement once the coach is level.

Bill Thomas is also a Heartland dealer, and Matthew said they would welcome our mpg as a trade-in because they have quite a demand for them. That's a plus, although I'm sure that they're not going to want to give me a lot for the mpg in comparison to what they're asking for the Airstream. Still, it might be worth looking into.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote