Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TV Watching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
If you like a queen bed, go with a unit with the fore and aft queen. That about rules out a 25'. The 27' FB Classic is cool but some want more of a sitting space to watch TV. I set other restrictions on myself for boondocking, otherwise would think the 28' is great. A pickup bed is a fine place for bikes, generator, firewood, leveling boards and tools. Look for outside storage compartments on any unit you're looking at. You really need those for all the setting up gear you'll have for your Airstream.
Shame on you! TV? Open the curtains and watch nature...

Okay that's somewhat B.S. I do watch TV in maximum comfort in my 25 FB... Set the table down and loll on the dinette bed with a bunch of pillows. Definitely as comfortable as the average recliner and with a nice blankie....zzzrrrk. A simple tray and you can eat and drink Roman style while reclining on one elbow with a pillow wedged to prop you up. (Yep, I'll wear out the cushions, but then I'll replace them. Getoverit! USE it! I'd far rather wear out my Airstream than have it rot out sitting in a field.) It's a place to be comfortable and enjoy at the end of a sunny or rainy day. Have a glass of wine or a good craft beer and ENJOY. Even in my 25 I can have three friends over and all of us can sit with our feet up on the couch or dinette bed and there's about a foot more room in a 27 FB. (My mother is looking down from heaven going tsk-tsk, but..)

Thinking of a leg rest, I'm wondering if the storage doors below the seats could be engineered a bit? Hmmm.... hydraulic lifts? Just steal the hinges from an old recliner? Do I need another project right now? NO.

Paula Ford
Old 03-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
Two?

Paula (Foiled),

Am I correct in assuming that you have two late model AS trailers? A 22 and a 25? If so wow! How cool is that!

Do you (did you) like your 22 with the wet bath? Does the corner shower have less head room than the mid-ship shower on the 25?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #23
_

. , .
many first time a/s buyers...

buy a 2nd trailer....

and most who buy again buy larger.

seldom do folks go smaller. some do but downsizing is often health related or driveway related.

the question about 'ideal size for full timing' has been asked and answered repeatedly.

there must be at least 20 disconnected threads on this topic, every year.

there is no right answer.

go look at trailers; sit in them, lay on the beds, roll on the floors....

find the floor plan and style that suits your tastes and fits IN your wallet.

depending on how the size question is asked replies vary....

i asked if anyone with a 34 had trouble camping, or towing or parking,

and NO ONE with a 34 reported an issue....

in 2 years and nearly 40,000 miles i've only not been able to get into a park, ONE TIME.

and that was a wpa built state park. even my truck didn't fit solo and the city park was better camping anyway...

of course i've also driven my 57 ft of rigging through bank drive-in lanes and coffee stands too

back when i had a 28 footer EVERYTHING longer seemed too big, but size is truly relative.

2be sure there are a few famous campgrounds and small regions where size limitations are absolute.

but for the most part mohos, trailers and 5th wheels are getting bigger every year.

where ever fivers go we can too...

more folks full time in fivers than airstreams by far, but towing an airstream seems much easier to me.

most parks adapt. a few of the really famous ones can't or don't or have fewer sites for long boys...

IF one cannot use the outdoors because of season, location or weather,

or your mate doesn't bathe...

all airstreams become too small.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Size

You are right about going from a smaller Airstream to a larger one.We did this because we felt the Bambi was a bit smaller and we wanted more room.After owning it for about a year we swapped it out for the 25'er.It was worth the change.I thought we would do great in the smaller one but size did matter for us.She can now run her little butt off up and down the trailer with no problem and we now have the room to do other things.
We do plan to go bigger though once she gets older like I had mentioned in the previous post because I have a felling she will be bringing a friend along every now and then.
(I think that is a great excuse for a larger Airstream)

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I have a feeling she will be bringing a friend along every now and then.(I think that is a great excuse for a larger Airstream)
hey devoman that's a great reason to buy a larger a/s....

or perhaps you will have another baby!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #26
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Baby

One is doing me in just fine.You saw how she was at the rally.She a nutty little thing.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
She a nutty little thing.
well she is a cutie pie.

and will be a boy killer way too soon.

you are gonna need to learn to look mean some day.

cheers
2air'

Old 03-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
this has been helpful so far

2Air, Devo,

Thanks for the input. Your insights, experience and suggestions are indeed helpful. Wifey and I are really trying to hit it right the first time when we buy a TT. I suspect that our first instinct or gut impression is dead on in thinking that the 28W will be a nice blend of usability, towability, and affordability over the long run. We have looked at the AS models that interest us the most, but definitely wanted to hear from folks who have RV experience to share.

So far all of the responses to this thread have indeed helped to guide us to the 28W for a first choice and a 25FB (with twin beds as it feels bigger) as a second choice. I think we will have a good chance at making the best choice (for us) long-term purchase with the first go at it with either of these two. The 28W feels the most comfortable to us, and yes, comfort is very important to us. If we're going to spend this kind of cash it had dang well better be comfortable, enjoyable and durable. Otherwise we might as well just go on and use motel/hotel services, know what I mean?

Thanks so much for all your helpful conversation.

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
Old 03-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #29
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I am not sure how I missed this thread the first time.
The couch in my 06 Classic 31 dinette is comfortable. It is leather. I have spelt on it more than once.
I choose this trailer layout due the the abundance of storage.
I highly suggest a dedicated bedroom for whatever you choose.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #30
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Hotel Motel

Hotels and Motels.That is one thing I honestly can say I do not miss.
The 28 footer is a great choice.Plus you will have the walk around in the bedroom.One feature we do not have but right now works very well with what we got.In return we get a larger area to move around in.
That is the size we are planning on in the future.28' or bigger but it will be several years before we will be doing this.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:37 PM   #31
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
If you are worried about comfort, perhaps you would be better off with hotels or renting cabins. Good luck with what ever you decide!
Oh poppycock.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 03-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
"Oh Poppycock"

Thank you Sky, I totally agree. Comfort is one of the primary reasons that gets folks into travel trailers. If no one wanted comfort we'd all just use tents at the KOA.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
YES I do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannastream
Paula (Foiled),

Am I correct in assuming that you have two late model AS trailers? A 22 and a 25? If so wow! How cool is that!

Do you (did you) like your 22 with the wet bath? Does the corner shower have less head room than the mid-ship shower on the 25?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Bill, yes I do have two late model Airstreams. There's a lesson for the rest of you all there. Buy a bigger one than you originally think you'll want, especially if you're fulltiming! Murphy's law also states that the perfect model for you will be made one month after you buy yours. I do look at the 27 FB with lust in my heart, but it's really only two things that appeal to me more with that 2007 model. I want the bigger closet and the lobster bowl sink. Not gonna happen unless I win the lottery.

No, I'm not a millionaire but I've got a great deal on a condo campground, and exclusive of my tow vehicle costs I only spend about $4500 per year to camp including a cell phone and wireless internet. In this area a semi-decent house costs $300K and apartments are over $1K per month. Add utilities to either and jeepers, that's where you can get enough money to buy another Airtream.

My 22 CCD, the "Sparestream" is a guest house. My niece and her husband and baby will be my next visitors in May.

As to the wet bath... I actually liked it better than the current setup... though I seem to be in the minority. My reasons:
  1. How much time does one really spend in the pissoire? Less space there translates to more space elsewhere. The 22 has better closet space than the 25. I always did my makeup at the desk.
  2. Boondocking - fill sink with hot water. Wash whole body with nice hot water. Rinse. Done.
  3. Hangover - Sink makes a nice handicap grab bar to steady oneself as one arises... Flu, It might be possible to use the sink to puke WHILE seated with diarrhea...
  4. Shower size is actually roomier than 25's shower, though the ceiling might be low for really tall people
  5. Cleaning is so simple and fast. Scrubbing bubbles... rinse with handheld shower, wipe seat of toilet (you'll only forget ONCE), use paper towel to pick up hair from drain, done. In my current setup I end up wiping down the entire sink counter every time I brush my teeth. The entire inside of the wet bath is fiberglass so water spots are much less of a problem.
If you're contemplating full timing, go for the 27 FB SE especially if you want a queen bed rather than twins. The sideways bed will be a hassle for a couple especially if you need a potty break at night. The person closest to the front wall will either have to climb over his/her partner or pull the covers off and wriggle to the end of the bed to get out. You can't turn the mattress in the 25 because the top is cut to the curve of the wall.

If you fulltime, you will want to replace the mattress before too very long. It's pretty mediocre but is light weight. I put a really good innerspring in my 22 CCD with 4 corner cuts so it can be flipped, but I didn't realize the sucker would weigh nearly 100 lbs - oof! I rigged a strap to help me make it and flip it. Seriously thinking about going with a tempur-pedic when this one starts to piss me off.

Paula Ford
Old 03-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #34
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky
Oh poppycock.
Fair enough. The point I was trying to make is that at some point you have to realize that it is a camper and not a luxury spa.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:42 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Only in a Newell, etc

I don't think AS ever made anything close to a luxury spa. For that we'd probably have to look at a Newell MH or similar. But that could be nice too.

We like the AS because of its history, charm, durability, and modest comfort.

We desire to have a trailer because we've had some bad experiences with motels, and we want to be able to take our babies (dogs) with us without the trouble that comes with trying to find accomodations that take pets.

Thanks,

Bill