Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 09:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well I have a little experiance in this. I help moderate www.coloradok5.com forums. The site has been averaging over 3 million hits per month for close to the last year and 12496 registered users in the forums. http://coloradok5.com/forums/ubbthreads.php It suck up 110 GIGS of band width a month. You moderators here thought you had it tough LOL.

What was done here with trying to organize the forums is great but the problem is so much changes from year to year ,model to model, plant to plant that it is very tought to document some things and we are not even counting mods PO's have made along the way.

The best thing I could recomend doing is create some good "Foundation" write ups. That way when somebody comes in and asks a question you point them to those write ups. If they have more questions then that can be disccussed. What it will take is people taking the time to document repairs and upgrades they do and make the effort to contribute these.

What Steve Fox (Mr. CK5 the sites founder) has done is the main site has product reviews and tech write up archives. As members do modifications and try new products they are welcome t
o do a write up. on the main www.coloradok5.com from page is three product reviews I have done in the last 6 months ( the Disc brake, CTM joints and Mile Marker our mine). Those rotate off into the archives as new ones are added to here http://www.coloradok5.com/tech.shtml or here http://www.coloradok5.com/review.shtml

The way write ups are turned in is the writer uploads the photo's to their members album. Then the write up is posted in "The bloody knuckle" (members forum so your not going to be able to veiw that one). So if one forum was set up for people to place ONLY contributing foundation write up's it would make it very easy on whomever takes on being the web master of that section. They would grab the pictures and store them on the site. Then grab the text and put the links in to the correct pictures.

One that would be great is WilliamHenchel. He has step by step photos of how to replace a full floor. If he could put a story together with those pictures and little tips that he figured out along the way it would make a great foundation write up.

Then as questions are asked like " how do I replace a heater core" They will get directed to here http://www.coloradok5.com/heatercore.shtml

It takes a while to build up those foundation write ups but once they are there and more people have contributions it will work. It's getting people to take the time to document stuff and make it availabe to others that is the tough part.

The water system is pretty straight foward. You have the older Air over water pressure system or you have on demand electric. A few write ups like "grover air pump rebuild" and "On Demand pump replacement" should be a good help to everybody.

The one that femuse has already pointed out is going to be a real nightmare is electrical. I just don't see how you can easliy sort that one out. two factories doing different things on models with the same name. This is like a Lucas electrical system. Things were different from shift to shift. Short of Airstream providing any electrical system info they have it's going to be hard to make anything other then general repair and upgrade information available. As write ups are turned in you will just have to start it off "Fuse upgrage on a 59 Caravanner built at the Ohio plant. Your A/S may vary".

What it would take is some space to store these out of the Forums and somebody to take the time to post them.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:44 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

I just went through my profile and my photo album and added a little information to my signature and photo descriptions. All I wrote was "'74 Tradewind Kitchen 25', Rear bath Center Twin, Mostly original except hardwood floors."

This little bit of information should help the search option become more effective. As I do modifications and post more pictures, I could type "'74 Tradewind Kitchen 25', Rear bath Center Twin, Hot water heater replacement." or something like that.

If we all take a little time to make these changes to our items, then the search tool could become much more powerfull.

Maybe if we get the ball rolling, then other links could be added by the moderators.

Patrick.

Old 03-27-2003, 08:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by PatCrusse
I just went through my profile and my photo album and added a little information to my signature and photo descriptions. All I wrote was "'74 Tradewind Kitchen 25', Rear bath Center Twin, Mostly original except hardwood floors."

This little bit of information should help the search option become more effective. As I do modifications and post more pictures, I could type "'74 Tradewind Kitchen 25', Rear bath Center Twin, Hot water heater replacement." or something like that.

If we all take a little time to make these changes to our items, then the search tool could become much more powerfull.

Maybe if we get the ball rolling, then other links could be added by the moderators.

Patrick.
That's a very good point. We use the same photo album software on CK5 as is used here. If somebody doesn't put in key words then the search engine is not going to work. Like Williams floor replacement should have. Floor Replacement as key words as well as the year and model of his A/S. The floor repair is very universal.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:34 AM   #18

Thumbs up

Patrick. 59toaster
Quote:
Both of you very clearly answered my point about what frustrates me: ALL THIS INFORMATION. so difficult or impossible to use it. So much potential.

Your remarks (as well as those of other members) have shown that you understand what the problem is, and that we can discuss it as reasonable adults should.
Last evening, I have received a rather insulting PM (full of terms that a lady such as myself would never repeat), from a member who obviously has some growing up to do. Just because I had the "audacity" to suggest we should all try to work at this together. When some people do not fully understand what a topic is about, maybe they should refrain from blindly swinging their saber around.

I do not have many informative pictures in my gallery yet, but I had them titled so they come up in a search. I thought this was the aim of this gallery.

Thank you in advance to all those who will make these modifications to their pictures. This is a good start that does not cost much.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Re: 2 cents worth to the eighth power

Quote:
Originally posted by pap

[And yes I would disable the registration for anyone who did not put down at least a home state (or two) and default the "my Airstream info" to require Year, Model, Length, and floorplan (rb/tw). And I would plead by PM with picture posters to go back and place year ,mod, length, & floorplan on each picture.

[/B]
Gee, I hope the forum doesn't go this route. I've been a registered member since 08/2002 and I follow it regularly, daily even. I'm gleaning all the information I can to prepare myself for the time we buy our trailer. I've found the forum extremely useful and have even made a few posts (very few since I don't have a lot to offer yet). I'm sure there are many other people out there who enter the AirstreamForums in the shopping stages. Are you proposing that all these people be shut out?
Old 03-27-2003, 11:34 AM   #20

I am sure I can answer for PAP here (and he can answer that himself too:

what we do not like are people who have things to share, and are not sharing. They may post great pictures, but we don't know what they represent.

There is nothing wrong in your case about not giving informations... until you get a trailer.

Then if you post pictures, it will be useful to let us know its year/model/... Something like "look at my dog sitting on the couch" should be posted as "look at my dog sitting on the couch of my 1974 International 29' ". Posting breed of dog is facultative.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

When ever the aluminum temp rises:

I remind us of our kinder, simpler, and more fun times:

Camper

Turn your frown ... upsidedown!

Dave

1967 Airstream Caravel 17'
Original ... Polished ... Pics not all searchable ... sorry!
Old 03-27-2003, 03:15 PM   #22
pap

Cool Clarification

Doug & Jamie of course Femuse is correct.
My point was that when registering or updating profile page, if you have not Airstream you put down none yet.
If you start filling in that you do have one, the default forces you to fill in fields giving year,length,model,and floorplan.
Of course anyone could lie about either if so inclined but why would they?

Also it is odd to me why folks would not even give their state of residence. You could still be mighty incognito even if I knew you lived in say Nevada. It's not like your phone number is it!

Occasionally the residence being known compliments the info that they might post. i.e. regarding license fees, sales tax amounts, local laws, pricing, etc. etc.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:47 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

I am for the war in Iraq

I'm tired of the constant crabbing and whining and picking on peoples opinions. (Good, bad, ugly, and or rebuttal) There have been certain people that have done little more in the past than
stir up the mud and attack some of our most valued posters.

I believe in expressing my opinions, but don't get bent out of shape when others disagree, or I voice my complaints directly with them via P.M.

This is NOT High School debate class, Nor is this forum really "ours" to alter and control at our whim. Be thankful and accepting for what it is.

Learn to use the search function.

Avoid calling people names ...

Dave
Old 03-27-2003, 04:25 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Some would rather vent publically than have a one on one...

Dave,

Couldn't have said it better myself....oops, I forgot..... this is not realted to the thread...I am buuusssted!!!!

Eric
Old 03-27-2003, 04:58 PM   #25
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the input you all!

Unfortunately I am very busy at my new job. I do not have time to custom build hte relational backend to a system described above. Maybe the WBCCI would be interested in using a database driven system to track the ownership of Airstreams and use that database to recruit owners that are non-members. It could be free to post your info but you would have to be a member to view it...

Things are moving in the right direction here at work and hopefully I will have some time to do some development in the next 3-6 months.

On that note, I am going to close this thread.

Thanks again for the input!

Andy

Closed Thread