Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Frozen's Back!

Hi kids; Uncle Frozen is back in Alaska, having driven up from Vancouver B.C. We picked our 16 up from Traveland RV in Langley, B.C.. These guys were outstanding, and had the trailer fully prepped for us. We videotaped the walk thru, as suggested by you guys. We had the thing winterized there, and bought a used F150. US customs ate the Equl-i-zer hitch I ordered, so we threw on a Reese and headed up the road. The 16 towed like nothing. We hit high winds right away, but no sway. BTW, the dealer recommended not attaching the wt-dist. arms to increase traction to rear wheels. By day 2, we were deep into the Peace River logging area, with humongous logging trucks driven by obviously drunk canucks. First night in Prince George, where for our 1st night in the TT it hit -23C (this is easily converted to F:simply add 32 and multily by 9 millimeters). Anyway, we had a 1500 w ceramic heater to add to the furnace' output. We were toasty all night, and the furnace when all night w/o fumes or setting off the smoke detector. By day 3 we were confronted with Steamboat Mtn/Summit Pass which was 1)high, 2) narrow, 3) desolate, 4)icy, and 5) stupid. But the plate in my head said "go on" and we slid into Watson Lake for the night. The wildlife were particularly abundant and seemed to relish resting in the middle of the road just over every 5th small rise. Passing trucks threw handball sized gravel with enthusiasm, but the 16 took only a single quarter-sized ding. The road out of Kluane was polished ice with no maintenance in sight. We crept toward the border at 30-40mph, and saw not another vehicle for more than 2 hours. A lot of the "open year-round" gas stops on the map were closed (those wacky Canadians!), making for some fun discourse between the wife and I. Finally, the Border, where the Customs officer asked for my EPA certification for the propane heater on the Airstream. Hijinx ensued. My reasoning that the TT was made in the U.S. and therefore,most likely conformed with US environmental pollution law, was less persuasive than my supsequent gran mal seizure, which convinced the now-assembled group of officers to just get rid of the nut. Now back in Alaska, we were welcomed home by a snow storm with near zero vis. Anyway, the rigs now has all the road salt washed away, and is resting along side the house until king salmon season next spring. We love the thing which, by the number of inquiries we got from folks during the trip, everyone else does too.
Sorry for the long post, its been a long week.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Hi Frozen: Sounds great! So glad to hear your rig is in good shape. Pictures please? I'd especially like to see what the LP line looks like. I posted the fix for ours on the "track the quality of the 04s" thread. We just got ours back a week ago, can't wait for a chance to go out again. We've been using the heater and it should be OK now. I think the dealer prep is key to many of the issues / problems. I hope our 16CCD has seen the end of big troubles for us. We still have some QC issues that aren't right, but will wait till more are made and we've done more road testing. Glad you're back safe and sound!
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Braxton , Mississippi
Frozen, Don't apologize for the long post, it made for some pretty entertaining reading. Welcome Back.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Frozen,

Why put it away for the winter? It sounds like you did just fine getting it home. Your post put my wife a bit more at ease as we are heading up the coast of Oregon Saturday for 10 days and the weather is to be rainy and windy to start out. We had some wind in Idaho in Sept. and we handled it just fine. Did you chain up or is that for sissies? I'm hoping the surf drops a little from the forecasted 15' as I'm throwing in a surfboard. But I saw a crab boat heading out today so that means the surf will jump to 20'+ until sometime after Christmas, at least it always seem that way. Those crazy crabbers... Later, Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 08:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hola; the LP line still runs above the right front jack, but it seems to clear it even when fully retracted. I didn't use chains, and really only had it in FWD over the divide. The whole things was scary but actually towed without much problems.

A couple of things, I couldn't find a fire extinguisher; where are these in the 16CCD? Also, I looked on the roof and was suprized by the schmear of waterproofing liberally applied around every fixture. Is this normal, or did the dealer take the liberty? It looks like crap, but only birds should notice....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smalljpegtruck.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	3823  
Old 11-14-2003, 10:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Our fire extinguisher is right inside the door by bathroom door. Our roof is gooped but good too. Is that an awning? Sweet!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 11:43 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

<Our fire extinguisher is right inside the door by bathroom door. Our roof is gooped but good too.> Ditto for our little guy. How do the cabinets look? What did you decide to do about the hitch height?
MaShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:23 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Cabinets look good; I see what you mean about the need for a pull on the large drawer just inside the door. We never got the Equal-i-zer hitch (lost in Cutoms) so the height issue went away. My daughter (9 yrs) wanted to sleep in the TT so we spent last night camping in the yard. It got about -5F but we were toasty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	laneyjpg.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	3834