Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Forward or reverse?

We're hosting in a small State park that is pretty busy on weekends, so I'm running around quite a bit when people are setting up. Some people put their leveling devices behind the trailer tires and back onto them, while others put them in front of the tires and pull ahead. Is there any preferred way? Does it make a difference if those comma-shaped levelers are used?

Some day I'll write a book about the "interesting" ways people level trailers. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm supposed to be the friendly face of the park, not an OSHA inspector. I just hope that when they have their accident it is at some other park far away from me.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have suggested pulling forward onto the leveling devices, because when your tow vehicle is in "drive", it will generally be in low gear when starting forward. When reversing, the gear used by the transmission is usually third.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
When reversing, the gear used by the transmission is usually third.
When reversing, the gear used by the transmission is usually “reverse” .

The gear ratio for reverse is usually the same as first or it can be slightly taller but it’s never higher than the second gear ratio.
Alumineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumineer View Post
When reversing, the gear used by the transmission is usually “reverse” .

The gear ratio for reverse is usually the same as first or it can be slightly taller but it’s never higher than the second gear ratio.
And here we go again.
Y'all can use whatever gear you want to use.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:59 AM   #5
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I haven’t been using the drive up, comma shaped levelers for very long, but I noticed when we were in Custer SP this summer on a pretty sloped site, that when I backed on to them, I didn’t have as much resistance to rolling back down the hill. I hope I’ve explained this clearly enough. We didn’t have an issue because we had everything else blocked and locked, but those levelers are like ramps, and mine seemed to be pointed in the wrong direction.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I have suggested pulling forward onto the leveling devices, because when your tow vehicle is in "drive", it will generally be in low gear when starting forward. When reversing, the gear used by the transmission is usually third.
I can go more than 80MPH in third.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
When I took Automatic Transmission 101 at Pikes Peak Community College (Fort Carson campus) Reverse used the gears for First gear. But, that was back in the day when 3 speed automatics were the state of the art.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use the Lynx lever blocks and I go either fowler or reverse with them. When I go to put them out I decide whether I want to be 8" further forward or back. Generally that means checking the level of the site and deciding where is best.

Both low gear and reverse gear will climb a 1 or 2" high block with great ease.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
The leveling device does not care which direction you go.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Thanks. When we had our little mpg I sometimes backed onto the leveling blocks and sometimes I'd pull forward onto them, depending on the site.

After watching some people here try to get onto their leveling devices, though, I started wondering if there was a preferred method. I haven't seen anyone actually measuring, but I have seen some take great care that everything is perfect. Then there are the others that seem to think that as long as some of the tire is more or less on the block they are good.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Well I go the direction that puts the sewer, or electric connection closer to the park utility connection as necessary.

I don't use the comma shaped blocks I use 2x8s and 2x6s. I can build up the height I need, get more most anywhere and use the extra for fire starters. The plastic ones smell really bad when you burn 'em.

Either way my pick up has more than enough power to move the 10k trailer...……...or I wouldn't be parking there. Drive or Reverse it only takes a little throttle. If it needs any throttle at all.

To be honest sometimes y'all tend to overthink this stuff.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming the leveling blocks are also acting as chocks .... which way is downhill on that site? Putting in the chocks on the uphill side only seems a lot less useful than the downhill side. Yes, chocks in both directions are the best bet. Look around the typical campground and see what people do ..... YIKES !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I never get the trailer exactly where I want it; it’s really a work in progress. So if it looks like it would be better off back a foot, I’ll back onto the levelers. If it looks like it would be better off forward a foot, I’ll pull forward onto the levelers.

The comma levelers come with a chock, so both sides get chocked (sort of). Of course I always chock the other side of the trailer with real chocks too.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I carry both stacking blocks and the curved levelers. Use as needed and what makes sense. I have separate wheel locks that go between the tires, and they will lock the duals together hard enough that the tires will skid before they can turn. I've informally tested this in both directions multiple times if I miss the "remove chocks" entry on the checklist when trying to drive away...

That said, if the streetside of the rig is 2 inches or less out of level to the high side, I don't bother leveling left to right, just fore and aft, so the fridge still works ok. Sleeping head up slightly is fine--it's head down that messes with your head. The head of the bed is on front streetside on this model.

I also don't usually deploy stabilizers either, unless we are parked for long term, or out in excess wind. Our rig does not rock all that much normally, and if DW does not complain of any slight trailer movement, it's good enough for me.

We did park for two days in the Texas Hill Country during a windstorm, and the rig still rocked a bit in the high winds even with the stabilizers down hard and the wheels chocked thoroughly. That was not a good day to travel, so we didn't.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote