Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Forum Software Upgrade...

I am curious to hear what everyone thinks about the new forum upgarde. It will take some getting used to!

I am still working on getting all the features restored after upgrading the forum software. Please post your comments, bugs, suggestions, etc. here and I'll try to address them as fast as possible.

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
where's my 24 hr review?

Is this the "new posts" tab at the top?
marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I like it... it's gonna take me a bit to find my way around.

So many new things...so little time!

Ok, a few questions...I was in my CP and there is a thing called attachments. I've attached a whole bunch of stuff in the year plus is there a quota for that? Also there is a counter for downloads. Does that mean everytime someone actually downloaded the image? If that's the case, folks really liked my gear shifing avitar!
Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Ditto to the 2 prior questions. Will links to each posters profile and photos return eventually?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:40 PM   #5
qqq
4 Rivet Member

usually "uprgraded" means more complicated & less efficient.

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Well you asked Andy and I never want to dodge a good question.

Too early to tell how easy it will be to pick up the new layouts.

It really is going IMHO depend on what the increased "features" equals.Weighed heavily against any feature that are now lost.

If it was just some cosmetic tweek then I say you should have left well enough alone. But if it helps us retain members, or archive valuable info in a more proficient way then BRAVO.

If the Karma is gone that is a blessing. Maybe some folks will quit posting just to see the "scoreboard" light up. However the rivets were sort of appropriate. But please consider leaving the Karma trophy in Chicago or Charleston or wherever it went to hide. Good Riddence. Ya know if you leave certain children with too many crayons they'll scribble on all the walls & furniture and trash the house.

If the report posts to moderator is gone that is not good. EDIT I just found that feature it is now just an icon to open the report box.

Is this the long awaited "major" upgrade? I look forward to learning the ropes of the new interfaces.

BTW it appears from my quik trip around that if one abandons a custom avatar that there is no way to replace with anything but the forum avatars. Is that the case?
Well you asked.
Thanks for the time.
jaco
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I logged out and then could not log back in. I got a message saying I had to wait 15. mins. I visit the forum briefly and often as life permits - get rid of the 15 minute time out.

While searching foums, I was denied a search because "only one per 10 second is allowed" - too slow.

My other half Janet's Husband is unable to log in at all..... maybe a good thing and finally...

I'm not crazy about the ad bar right at the top - but understand the rent may be needed.

On the plus side - This is still a great site and I'm glad that Andy makes it happen!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:26 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Thumbs up good so far!

looking good so far, first thing i was looking for was the "last 24 hour" feature.

handy if one is in a hurry.

keep up the good work andy!!!

john
Old 03-29-2004, 02:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I suppose the calendar's just taking up space right now that will be used for photos? Or does it fulfill a function that isn't apparent to me yet?

And I miss the eBay link of old. But the site looks bright & clean, and I don't share Hart's pessimistic forecast or Jaco's wish to stop people from posting whenever they flippin' well feel like it.
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:13 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

How do I delete all cp messages in 1 stroke?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Some pages don't have a convenient "home" button at the top (probably an oversight for the moment) and I liked it when the threads on the home page listed the latest poster rather than the thread-starter because, frankly, I divide people into categories based on how useful their posts tend to be & whether I should go to the trouble of checking out the thread just now. But maybe I should poke around a bit in the new tools before jawing away too much....
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I'm just happy that it is back up and running. With the site down, I was thinking about selling my computer last night, since I don't do much else with it these days but read these threads! Thanks Andy!

Is there a way to see who is online?
Are smily faces gone or is that under "Go Advanced"?

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool It will take time

Similar Threads feature of being able to place the 'cursor' over the threads title to read the context inside that thread is kewl. As far as for the rest of the layout, etc..That's gonna take some time getting use to. The background level is a bit bright but, that may be due to the fact that I'm using a LCD monitor and, it's background light lites up my room already~..All in all, I like it with just one exception, that being the ads at the top..But..rent is rent..(thanks to whoever said that~!)
One question needs your attention~!
This question has been asked by numerous folks on here and, we need to have it cleared up for all of us~
When I or, anyone else for that matters, post an PM or send e-mail to another individual, either on this forum here or sent via W3..Do you or anyone else have the abilties to view, access the context of that material in any way shape or form? Is a backup copy of either the PM or email kept on the server as well, even when it's been deleted>??
And, also..don't base your ans on the fact that 'just because' my question doesn't cover any specific unknown detail either.
A full reply is expected from you and, not from any Moderator..Plse~!!
I feel this is the only way that this question will ever go away is, to ans it fully and completely.
Thanks Andy..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Thumbs up Good Job Andy !

I've noticed that some of the links are missing at the bottom of each post. The one I really miss is the "home" button at the top of the page.

Does this new format for posting have a spell checker?

Thanks Andy for keeping up on thi site!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I like this "quick reply" feature!

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:32 AM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
When I or, anyone else for that matters, post an PM or send e-mail to another individual, either on this forum here or sent via W3..Do you or anyone else have the abilties to view, access the context of that material in any way shape or form? Is a backup copy of either the PM or email kept on the server as well, even when it's been deleted>??

Andy posted this a few days back but you may have missed it. Neither he or the Moderators have any way to see the message traffic in the PM system. The Email system is a pass through , no email that is sent to or by a member is stored from what I know about the software. Also if you delete a PM it is gone. The system does not archive them into a folder like outlook does.

I will let Andy speak to the actual features of the upgrade but I like the clean interface, just waiting to get some of the "extra" pages back with the cool quick links.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:55 AM   #17
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Talk about in your face capitalism!

How many Airstream products are actually listed in ALL of the advertisements at the top?????????

I am not impressed with a sell out.

Software is okay, just needs some fine tuning. I suspect the activity level will decline even lower than it was last week.

Some numbers were clouded by the "Activity" level. 500% have interacted at least once or are considered active but the fact remains that only 11% have posted more than a substantial 20 times.

Most people are incapable of being interactive because they could barely get past the registration process. Now the newbies and predominantly PC novices are going to have an even tougher time getting acquainted to the forum. I am certain that time will heal the activity level but I cannot help but think that the forum will degrade in activity for a while.

As for Karma, another mislead! As compared to Forum Apparel, Forum store goods, Forum membership stickers, and anything else that was promoted at one time or another. For those people that did not catch the maiden voyage, karma was originated as an incentive to interact with a promise of redemption for prizes or Forum goods.

Move aside membership and make room for paying customers!

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Smile Just my thoughts

Brett
Quote:
Andy posted this a few days back but you may have missed it. Neither he or the Moderators have any way to see the message traffic in the PM system. The Email system is a pass through , no email that is sent to or by a member is stored from what I know about the software. Also if you delete a PM it is gone. The system does not archive them into a folder like outlook does.
While I respect you and, what your status as a Super Moderator represents.. My questions were directed to Andy and, it deserves to be answered in-depth only by Andy, as I feel only he has these details.

53FC
Quote:
A full reply is expected from you and, not from any Moderator..Plse~!!
These are question for Andy..
Then, I take it that all the on-line activities of this resident server that "airstreamforums" 'lives on' isn't off loaded to a "backup" server for recovery of all it's activities? Does this apply also, to the server which the email goes thru? Do you or anyone else have access to this?
I personally feel that everyone should be aware of and, know that all internet activities are not just simply send to a "bit bucket heaven".
I like to see the link to the thread where your (Andy's) reply was posted (?) as such..I'd like to read it in it's original contexts~
This question had been raised by others and, I just like to see it laid to rest once and, for all..Maybe, an addition to the forum policy statement covering this is in order..??
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:27 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Andy-

I spent the bulk of my career as director of Informaton Systems for a large corporation. Trust me--at first you'll hear, "I like the old system better." Then after the learning curve--appreciation of the improvements. Then some valid suggestions to improve it.
heybeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:45 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

I have a 1280 pixel wide computer, but the new forum is seems to be designed for 800 pixel wide monitors. So I have two inches of "wasted real estate" on each side of the web page. The old forum was adjustable. Can we make this one adjustable too?

- Charlie