Old 07-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
Link

Yes there is formaldehyde in just about everything and all things eventually outgas. There are two types of formaldehyde ,in most products the cheaper and more harmful and more widely used in the USA is urea formaldahhyde. Europe has different standards. I'll bet the European model airstream had to meet these. Darrell

Old 07-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
Ok but so what? We still don’t like it in high concentration.
So true. Arsenic also occurs naturally, but that doesn't mean I want to drink it.

Airstream seems like a forward thinking company to me. I'm waiting for them to pick up the ball on eco-/enviro-friendly, non-toxic materials for their RVs and run with it. But for now, I open up the door, windows, and vents in our Bambi whenever I'm able to.

-J

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Vintage

This is the main reason I went vintage. I stayed in my inlaws SOB for 4 nights and had to be taken to an urgent care facility for shots. We love camping and when the idea of a camper seemed like the next step we looked and decided on Vintage Airstream. In my restoration I will use lung friendly natural materials where possible to limit the impact on my body.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
This is the main reason I went vintage. I stayed in my inlaws SOB for 4 nights and had to be taken to an urgent care facility for shots. We love camping and when the idea of a camper seemed like the next step we looked and decided on Vintage Airstream. In my restoration I will use lung friendly natural materials where possible to limit the impact on my body.
Depends on how far vintage you go. I think pre-70s you're probably okay, but our '76 had it's fair share of odors from plastics and off-gasing. We felt like we needed to vent it as much as we do our new one. I think if we'd kept the '76 I'd have gutted it and rebuilt the interior to be more human-health friendly ( yeah right, like I have the skills for that!) Anyway, wouldn't it be nice if the the RV-makers would just think about these things a little harder?

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Camarillo , California
Link

We thought about vintage or used , but there is such a thing as vintage or used funk. you kind of trial an error it anybody with chemical sensitivity or asthma knows in minutes what they can tolerate. Treat your AS like you would your home(I know most of us treat them better) dry your shower after each use keep dust to a minimum and be careful when bringing new products into your trailer. Darrell
Old 07-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Airstream seems like a forward thinking company to me. I'm waiting for them to pick up the ball on eco-/enviro-friendly, non-toxic materials for their RVs and run with it. But for now, I open up the door, windows, and vents in our Bambi whenever I'm able to.

-J
You know, Airstream did do a more eco friendly thing...they went from the old exterior coatings to precoated aluminum from Aloca due mostly from what I understand to be due to the EPA issues surrounding Airstream coating it themselves.

Bottom line, if you go vintage, there are are other issues to look out for just like in the new units. Asbestos, lead paint would be my first guess.

But let's not just say Airstream, check out your car, tons of things in there far worse than what you might find in an Airstream.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Franklin , Tennessee
Go to the factory

If I were you and were serious about this (which I think you are) I'd go to the factory in Jackson Center Ohio and watch them put these trailers together and see the components they use.

I'd also talk to engineering.

I know the smell you speak of, but I think it may "vary" between models. Our CCD28 has different materials in it than (say) a Classic, but in any event the tours Airstream does are very open to discussion.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #22
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Is formaldehyde still an issues?

I’m revisiting this old thread because of the recent issues with formaldehyde in the news. When I bought a new Safari 10-years ago, it had a strong formaldehyde smell that took about 2-3 years to dissipate. I found it irritating and probably unhealthy.
I wonder if the newer trailers have the same smell.
Maybe the factory changed their source of fiberboards and glue.
Any owners of new Airstreams want to comment?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Rockford , Minnesota
I am here on the Airstream site because I recently attended an RV show and out of the dozens of units I entered, the Airstreams were the only ones that did not smell of plastics and adhesives. These AS units were 2014-2015 models with no coatings on the interior aluminum skin.

I am not allergic to the organic plastic and adhesives materials or smells - I just liked the cleanliness of the AS interior with the exposed aluminum. The absence of odor was just a side benefit.

Some of the RV units I entered smelled so strongly of plastics and adhesives it was overpowering. Like I said, I'm not sensitive to those materials but when I notice it - it's bad. Had my wife been along she would have rejected every RV but AS based on smell alone.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A 'non issue' once you air it out a day or so.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
I have asthma. We bought our Safari Sport new in 2007. The saleman had aired it out for several days before we came up to look at it. Never had a problem.