Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Food waste?

Believe it or not, the one appliance I miss the most since going full-time in an Airstream is not the dishwasher or laundry machines. It's the garbage disposal!

How do you guys handle food waste? With a garbage disposal, food waste is disposed of very neatly and cleanly. When cleaning pots and pans etc, the food now must be trapped by the sink strainer, the sink strainer dumped in the garbage can with invariably it being all gunked up/nasty have to scrape crap out. Then you have to empty your garbage can every single day due to the smell.

Surely there must be a better way! I'm almost to the point of trying to figure out a way to put in a disposal under the sink.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I do my best to wipe out, scrap out any food waste from pans and plates before washing them. This way I'm keeping the grey tank cleaner and lessening the chance of problems down the road. I usually don't have a lot of crud in the strainer after dishes.

The bigger challenge we have is finding a trash disposal option when boon docking. Some places it is easy but sometimes it is tough to find and we don't like storing trash for very long, especially with the food waste.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Garbage and trash goes in can. I have a cat and empty the box several times a day. Poop goes in a covered can and then emptied into the trash can and tossed daily.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Never having had a garbage disposal, and having no place to put a garbage can in the Interstate, I hang a Brawny, 3 gal black trash bag from a hook on a lower cabinet....and use it.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Wipe all dirty stuff with a paper towel before going into the sink or down the drain, left over liquids as well. And they all go into the trash.

Emptied daily to the large trash bins or whatever the park provides. Usually a short walk. Gives us exercise and another chance for the dog as well.

If it smells, we put into a larger bag and into the back of the truck it goes until the next day. So the park critters don't get into it.

No problems with any of these. Just have to do it, that's all.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I took the garbage disposer out of my house and compost everything. In the Airstream, I wipe everything off with a paper towel so that the least amount of grease etc.. is going to the gray tank. Then I wash the dishes with dawn detergent which is a great grease cutting agent.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
DITTO on what prior posters have said. Garbage grinders just movery waste around (to rot in sewer lones,septic systems and regional waste treatment facilities.
PLANNING can cut the amount of waste you will have... and simplify disposal. I use paper towels and junk mail catalogs, spare napkins I got from Starbucks to pre-wipe plates. Being single I've even eaten a few snacks directly from a boiling bag!
Coffee grounds are good fertilizer for evergreens so they can be tossed on the ground in many places.

A rubber scraper really gets most of the gunk off of plates and skillets, too. If you want something that can create a lot of grease.like bacon or meatballs, then make it in quantity to heat and use as needed. Get rid of 99% of the grease up front by pouring it into an empty can or jar.... then seal it and/or freeze it until you find a Dumpster or trash can.

You're going through an adjustmemt... that will quickly become normal. Happiness is finding the missing diamond from your ring in the drain elbow which will not happen if you're used to running a disposal after every meal!

Paula
Old 12-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We don't have much food waste but when we do, including scraping/cleaning the strainer in the sink, it goes into a small plastic zip lip bag and goes in the refrigerator. In the refrigerator it doesn't smell. We add to it when needed and leave it in there for up to a week.

We don't make much garbage. We empty our trash twice a week or so. Even at that it's typically only a small grocery bag. When we empty the trash the "specialty" bag from the refrigerator is thrown out too.

Sounds strange to store food scraps in the refrigerator but it doesn't take much room and keeps the regular trash from stinking and attracting insects.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I wouldn't want that going into the gray tank. Unlike the black tank there is no flush system. Use garbage can liners in the can, wipe the dishes/cookware as clean as you can before going into the sink for washing, and empty the can daily if possible.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I let the dog lick the pots and pans.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I let the dog lick the pots and pans.
Ha,ha,ha, and we thought we were the only ones who do this

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We also, scrape well before washing and use Dawn or biodegradable soap.

We keep those plastic bags that you put your fruit and vegetables in at the grocery store. Unlike the regular grocery store bags those clear bags usually don't have holes in them.

I will usually deposit our small plastic bag with meal scraps in a larger dumpster if we are near one after every meal. If not we have a Homer bucket in the back of the truck with a lid and it can go in there untill we hit civilization again.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
While I appreciate the convenience at home, I probably wouldn't use a garbage disposal in the AS even if one were available. Grey water capacity seems to be our primary limiting factor, and it would definitely run out sooner with a garbage disposal. I suppose this wouldn't be so much of a factor if we were staying where there were full hookups, but we tend to avoid those places as much as possible. Scraping and dog licking solves most of the waste in sink drain problems.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Although I put a new Waste King in the house last year, the wife won't let me put anything down there but liquids. She says it smells when food is put in there and ground up. So we don't use it at home and there isn't one in the AS. Since we don't use the one at home, we're used to it now and don't miss it in the AS. Like the others, we throw food waste in the trash can, but we don't have a lot anyway. To keep smells down in the trash can we put some scraps (like raw chicken or fish) in a Ziploc bag.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Paper towels and zip lock bags are your friend !

At home my wife bakes bacon in the oven a pound at a time on a baking pan lined with foil and when done and cool enough I put the pan in the refer to solidify the grease. When solid I fold the foil into a small square and place in a zip lock bag then put in the trash. The pan remains clean.

In the trailer I wipe the dishes and pans with a paper towel before washing.
Depending on location I may put the towels in a zip lock bag for later disposal.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote