Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Florida Storage & Humidity

Hey all!
We're getting near our trip to the Keys (Oct 19 - Nov 1) and I need some advice about storage in Florida and humidity. Our plan is to stay the two weeks and leave the 'stream in storage on Long Key until the spring, when we will go back and pick it up in the spring, giving us another reason to go back.

Question is, when we leave it in storage, what steps should I take? I was planning to put out some damp rid. I've read here before that I should add some veg. oil to the traps to make sure they don't evaporate. My dealer is telling me that I should leave open the ceiling vents for ventilation, and he is telling me that I should get Maxx vent covers. They will protect against rain at the expense of a little ventilation loss.

Should I really leave anything open? Will it just let in more humidity? What about tire covers? Absolutely neccesary? All advice, particularly from those of you who have stored in Florida, will be appreciated.
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
You are not going to "let in more" it will be there, what you might do is let in water, rain in the sub-tropics is a little different than up north. Comes down in buckets or is driven sideways by the wind. Good advice on the max vent covers, however I wouldn't leave a vent open during the last month of hurricane season.

Damp rid will work in small areas, draw or closet but do the math 27X8X8= cu ft. read package and determine how many boxes you would need, and if the crystal actual take out all the moisture they become a liquid.

Make sure veg oil doesn't attract vermin. My chewed wires were probably chewed because the wire manufacturer decided to use soy oil as the plastizer.

Tire covers will stop sun but bigger problem is salt on metal, as in electric boxes, brakes, any exposed surface.

While you are in the storage area check other trailers see what they are doing.

Have you considered storing north of the keys, someplace high and dry?
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
a small comfort is that the winter is the "dry season". i put damp rid in the clothes closet and it is water when i get there. i'm sure it is water long before my return.

i don't leave any vents open. i figure that it will more likely let a vent get ripped open in a hurricane or even a storm.

the advise to store it inland is a very good idea.

would someone be able to periodically vent and inspect the trailer?

if you do tire covers i'd get the tires to sit on an edge of them to prevent their blowing or walking away.

strap down the lp tank cover. i lost mine two seasons ago because the latch shook loose.

if you want storage just south of miami, send me a PM. i might have a contact for you.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I left mine in Fl for 5 months, everything was closed up tight.

All was well when I returned.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
I wouldn't leave it in the Key's period. Too much salt, water, & wind. You'll spend the first two days of your Spring vacation getting it back in order. Take it back to the mainland.

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 AM   #6
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That's a good point I was up north, there are two storage spots around Homestead, one is an RV park Miami Camp with a hugh field another on US 1, a bit dumpy.

THe RV park is Miami Everglades Campgrounds Miami RV Camping Southern Florida

It has a new name but it is a very nice spot to stay, we used it numerous times as a base camp at $50 a day and drove down to the Keys, avoiding the not only the high cost but availibilty in the Keys.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Park and Recreation

a few less bells and whistles at a great price. neat, clean and park rules are enforced. no permanent residency.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Nice spot yes, but the other park IMO is nicer and in better safer area!!!!

Also I don't think they do any storage.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
yes, miami camp has lots to offer, especially for families. as for safety, i've been fine at l&p. there is security and it's loaded with long time regulars that watch out for everyone. the wedge layout is rarely seen and offers a nice distance between units.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
We stored ours at a hotel parking area for a week in Miami while I was attending a conference. It took me a while to trust it, but our Fantastic Fan has the rain sensor, so we left it open. It closes during the lightest rain. The solar panel kept it charged up.

Even tough we were able to check on it nearly every day, that didn't stop the AS from invaded by ants. Apparently, a palm frond from a nearby tree had fallen, and was leaning on the rear bumper which formed a bridge from the ground to the AS. It was a learning experience. Now, if we plan to be parked anywhere for a length of time, we are more aware of tall plants/vegetation near the trailer, and sometimes spray a little insecticide around the tires and on anything that may touch the ground, such as hoses and electric lines. This was a necessity at the fairgrounds in Perry, GA during the international rally.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Thanks

Thanks everybody for the input!
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote