Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
, Texas
X,

We ventured out recently for our 1st towing experience with the Touareg and our 28' International CCD. Like you, we had a very good experience. I am not the resident expert on towing, but the ride was very smooth and stable.
I must say that our scenery was not quite up to the caliber of what is in your photos... very nice!!

In short, the Touareg and the CCD seem like they were made for each other.

Towhead
Towhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Kimili, we made the dinette into one bed for the German Shepherd (put a sheet and two sheepskins on it to protect it and to "soften" it up. Underneath, the Pekingese slept on her dog bed (muffled her snoring). Of course, the Jack Russell slept with my wife and me... Where else?!
LOL!! I'd love to see pics of all of them in bed!

That mattress sounds great!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:23 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
How I could have missed this post is beyond me...X, that looks very nice. We do the same for our Shep mix... after all, the queen's needs must be taken care up!

Towhead, I am happy that the VW works well with your 28'. Still, it would make me very uneasy as I have a car with a longer wheelbase, body on frame, robust upgraded everything and I'm only towing a 25' coach and can already see the limitations. I think in X's case, he is pretty well mated, but I gotta say, my gut tells me that the 28' is just too big. Sure, like my setup it can do it, the question still remains, should it be done. I'm no expert and as I said, I'm mostly going from what my gut tells me here, but if you're happy with it.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMILI
LOL!! I'd love to see pics of all of them in bed!

That mattress sounds great!
KIMILI,

Here you go!!!

The three skallywags in bed:

67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 04:24 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
KIMILI,

Here you go!!!

The three skallywags in bed:

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love them!!

...Better not show that pic to our pups or they'll be jealous...they sleep under the dinette on a banal, regular dog bed...
Old 08-03-2004, 05:49 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

That's a pretty set up Xray, nice to know it all works well. Been looking at the same tow vehicle for the 19'Bambi CCD coming soon and wondered how it handled the hills. Also following your posts on the ipod so hope to figure that out when the unit arrives, can't wait to get it.

BTW your dogs are darling, we have a 7 month old JR named Ernie who will rule the Bambi!

Congratulations
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 01:02 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Touareg Folks

We have a 16CCD and are thinking about a Touareg for a tow vehicle. Sounds like you guys have been having great success with the VW. Are you still happy? Is the V8 enough power? (like X-Ray - we also live at 7500' feet in Santa Fe - so altitude is an issue.) Any options you would vote for or vote against?

thanks for any thoughts

PP
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod people
Touareg Folks

We have a 16CCD and are thinking about a Touareg for a tow vehicle. Sounds like you guys have been having great success with the VW. Are you still happy? Is the V8 enough power? (like X-Ray - we also live at 7500' feet in Santa Fe - so altitude is an issue.) Any options you would vote for or vote against?

thanks for any thoughts

PP
Don't even give it a second thought. You will be thrilled. Be sure you have the air suspension and the V8... 'nuff said. You won't even know the 16' is back there. PM me if you want to discuss over the phone.

Great news having another Santa Fe Airstreamer on the forums!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
X

Thanks for the update - I'm glad your still happy with the Touareg. It has to be an improvement over the Discovery we are now using. Seems like we have a similar tow vehicle history - but after all the Discovery seems to be one of the most common vehicles here in Santa Fe.

We're off to the green chile festival this weekend and then it might be time to start looking at the year end closeouts on VWs.

thanks for the invite to PM you - I probably will do so in the near future!

PP
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Quote:
X

Thanks for the update - I'm glad your still happy with the Touareg. It has to be an improvement over the Discovery we are now using. Seems like we have a similar tow vehicle history - but after all the Discovery seems to be one of the most common vehicles here in Santa Fe.

We're off to the green chile festival this weekend and then it might be time to start looking at the year end closeouts on VWs.

thanks for the invite to PM you - I probably will do so in the near future!

PP
I loved my Disco 2 (owned two of them). But for towing? It was an effort even pulling a Caravel... The VW is no comparison.

I'm hoping the LR3 will have a little bit more towing spunk but I doubt I'd consider trading the Treg - it is just that good. The Disco was a great pooch hauler with dual sunroofs and the "superlock" feature. That I miss.

Enjoy the festival - we were out at Julians last night...

Hey! I was just thinking. I think I poked my head in your 16' CCD once. Did you get it in ABQ? Dan told me he ordered/sold it to some Santa Feans towing with a Disco. Nice coach!
Old 09-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Touareg Folks

thanks for any thoughts

PP
IMHO, the V8 Touareg would be a great match for the 16' CCD (even at 7500 feet). My gut tells me that the V8 Touareg would be safe and solid up to a 22'. Like everything, everyone has opinions and does what they'd like. Me personally, I'd be a bit uneasy towing anything larger than 25' having had first hand exp towing a 19' Bambi and a 25' Safari. They are night and day different in how they act behind a passenger car or quasi passenger/suv. In my case, I modified a full size Chevy that would exceed what the Touareg could do on paper...but that's just it...on paper tends to sound better than what actually happens in real life. Again, this is just my opinion based on my exper and talking with others in the community.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:56 PM   #32

I just returned from my second trip in as many weeks, in my 3 week old 22' Intl. CCD. I have the same exact Touareg (even same color) as Xray, except I think our wheels are different ;-)

Over Labor Day weekend, my wife and I took our trailer to Kerrville, TX from El Paso (about 500 miles each way). We followed our friends who have a 25' Intl. CCD, with a Cadillac Escalade tow vehicle. We had no problem keeping up with them (75 - 78 mph) and actually had less (I should say no) trouble in the hills.

Last weekend, my wife, our 100 lb Alaskan Malamute and I went to Cloudcroft, NM (over 7000'). We had no trouble pulling up the steep climb from Alamogordo, NM into Cloudcroft. We stayed at a small RV park in a secluded box canyon, next to about 6 other trailers and 5th wheels. Prior to leaving, one of the neighbors cautioned me, stating that I needed to get a running start out of the park (had to go up a steep incline on a gravel road). Needless to say, we had no trouble pulling up the hill. The 4 wheel drive didn't hurt either.

I am very happy with the Touareg and trailer. The combination has provided my wife, dog, and I some much needed "escapism".
cyclesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Smile

CS,

Nice write-up. It's a great experience you are having. I'm not the least bit surprised. Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
xray,
Thanks for sharing both your experience and the fantastic pictures~
Would it possible to ask you for some close up pictures of the hook-up between the T-Rex and the 22' CCD???
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:27 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
xray,
Thanks for sharing both your experience and the fantastic pictures~
Would it possible to ask you for some close up pictures of the hook-up between the T-Rex and the 22' CCD???
ciao
53FC
No problem.

Might be a couple weeks or so... I don't have any photos of the hookup and I won't be towing until around the 1st of October...

Adios,
Old 09-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I modified some of the end of this thread. Those posts were of no additional value to the subject matter here.
For the record the Forum does not endorse or recommend towing an Airstream at 75 miles per hour plus! However you are all adults and can decide for yourselves what is considered safe and acceptable behavior.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote