Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I think he was saying he bought a fully restored AS done by an auto tech. Outside appears as impressive as the interior!

Dzn: I'm trying to sort out if I'm ok with my 2003 Toyota sequioa with a ProPride hitch. The trailer is 4300 and my capacity is 6300. What do you think?

The trailer is in great shape and need some advice with the TV.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If your Sequoia is rated at 6300 and your (unloaded) AS is 4300, you should be fine as far as max trailer weight and GCWR are concerned. The only thing my crystal ball worries about at all is what your rear axle weight rating is and if you will be close with tongue weight (including PP hitch) all your passengers, toys and equipment in the back, the dog, cat, etc. Only the CAT scales will say, but unless you're carrying a lot of "stuff", I predict you're OK.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
If your Sequoia is rated at 6300 and your (unloaded) AS is 4300, you should be fine as far as max trailer weight and GCWR are concerned. The only thing my crystal ball worries about at all is what your rear axle weight rating is and if you will be close with tongue weight (including PP hitch) all your passengers, toys and equipment in the back, the dog, cat, etc. Only the CAT scales will say, but unless you're carrying a lot of "stuff", I predict you're OK.
Thank you, Sir. Here's the info from toyota:
GAWR, FT:3160
GAWR, RR:3550
Sequoia GVWR: 6500
GCWR: 11,800

my family weighs: 450lbs (5 of us in total). Hope I'm not torturing you with this. Just want to make sure i'm doing anything stupid or irresponsible. After all we are just after some fun and adventure.

We are picking up the trailer next month in florida and bringing it home to NJ.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you're really concerned, before you go, load up everybody with a full tank and your usual travel gear and run the Sequoia over the cat scale with the front axle on one pad and the rear axle on the other. Report out your readings. Without knowing your actual loaded AS tongue and axle weights we'll still be handicapped, but we would at least know how much rear axle reserve you would have.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
After trying a number of systems I've settled very happily with the Anderson Hitch/weight distribution/anti sway system. $449 on amazon and about an hour to set up. SUPER easy to hitch/unhitch. No sway, little to no bounce. I frankly forget my 64 Overlander is behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
57BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
thanks again Rich. I'll run the sequioa over to get weighed as soon as I can. As far as the airstream, I'll ask him if he knows the approximate loaded airstream weight. as far as the airstream axle weight, what should I ask the seller to do at the cat scale. He's been willing to help me along.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57BB View Post
After trying a number of systems I've settled very happily with the Anderson Hitch/weight distribution/anti sway system. $449 on amazon and about an hour to set up. SUPER easy to hitch/unhitch. No sway, little to no bounce. I frankly forget my 64 Overlander is behind me.

what's the tow vehicle your using?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Rich, I'm also running into alot of posts that mention a short wheelbase and how 118" may not be good for a 28' trailer. How does wheelbase play into the equation? Man, I'm going to have to buy you a few beers for all this help.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just ask him if he knows the unhitched tongue weight and axle weight of the trailer loaded for camping. That'll get you in the infield of the ballpark.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Just ask him if he knows the unhitch tongue weight and axle weight of the trailer loaded for camping. That'll get you in the infield of the ballpark.
thank you Rich. Will do. Found this interesting blog post about another guy who was using the same truck as his TV:

toyotasequoia - www.paushe.com

I still know I have to use math but he seems to have more trailer than I, yet having success with it. It appears that his Hensley is part of the equation. I'll be going with the ProPride, but I understand they are very close in performance.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Very close in performance, but the PP is a bit lighter than a HAHA. I forget exactly, but I think about 30# lighter.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
2013 silverado ltz, with beefed up suspension/tow capacity. Rated for 6,800 the AS weighs 3850, it was restored to as near original as possible.

57BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Fidalgo Island , Washington
Beautiful rig! And a lifetime of happy memories for you and your family. Safe travels!
Oregon Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Ms View Post
Beautiful rig! And a lifetime of happy memories for you and your family. Safe travels!

Thank you!!