Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Unhappy First mishap with our Airstream.

Yesterday on our way home from working as volunteer staff at the Yankee Air Museum's Thunder Over Michigan air show we had our first mishap with the Silver Dog House. The curb side tire threw the tread and steel belts and in the process did a pretty good job of pounding the wheel well and belly pans. At first glance it did not look to bad but after closer inspection we are not so sure it is a small thing.

Changing a tire on the shoulder if I-94, one of the oldest stretches of interstate in the country, which has almost no shoulder, was one of the scariest things I have ever watched my husband do. I am afraid I could not be of much help other than hand him tools.

We completed the two hour drive home on the spare, through lots of construction zones, worried the whole time that we would loose another tire.
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a similar failure of a Goodyear tire. Contacted Goodyear who examined the tire and determined the tire was bad. Even though this tire was at least a few years old that came with a used F350. Goodyear paid me $1500. There was some initial hassle and buck passing about who gets contacted first the dealer or the corporation, but it all worked out. I really did not expect to get any settlement.

There is also nothing preventing you from filing a claim with your insurance company (that's what you are paying for) and also the tire manufacturer/dealer.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Assuming you had Goodyear's.. you can contact the liability claims dept at this address:
pdct@goodyear.com for an application to document your loss/damages.

I was very happy with how they handled mine.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
That's a pretty surprising thing to happen on a 2008 trailer. Did you have a practice of checking tire pressures each trip? If so, I suppose most likely secenario is a tire defect and if so, hopefully you can recover your repair costs.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Yes, we check tire inflation before EVERY trip. We had been on a trip two weeks ago and checked the pressure before we left on this weekend trip. There had been no change. My husband is very careful about being sure there is proper tire inflation on all 6 tires on the ground and the two spares on the TV and the trailer.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Husband has returned with a new set of tires. The dealer was really helpful and after looking at the tire said that it was not that badly worn. There had to be a defect in the tire. So we will be pursuing a claim with Goodyear.