Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 31
First Impressions - 30 ft Flying Cloud

First impressions of the new rig. I have purchased a 30’ Flying Cloud with the lounger chairs in front. Towing with ProPride hooked to a Toyota Tundra 4WD Platinum. P3 brake control. Truck seems to have plenty of power, at least at lower elevations-haven’t been above 2000’. It is stable in crosswinds and dealing with large trucks.

A few minor problems, water hoses reversed at basin-hot water on the right and leak in drain under kitchen sink. There is a leak in the aft quarter with hard rain and wind.

Yesturday I recieved a Safety Recall Notice from Airstream. They put the wrong axles on the trailer! I bought it from Sutton RV in Oregon. A trip from Whidbey Island down to get the axles changed out. I am very pleased with the service at the dealership, fair, frendly, and professional.

I ordered the trailer with several options, 40# aluminum tanks. The heater uses more propane than I expected and is much louder. I have been living on a sailboat for the past five years, heater on the boat is far superior. Stove and oven are fine. Water heater works well and being able to run electric and gas simultaniously will keep me in lots of hot water for showers.

Put on the solar option, at 48 North in this climate it is useless. The batteries run down when the unit is not occupied. The only load the conrol panel for the fridge and subwoofer. Hope for better results when I go South.

I have a King Dome 2200 on the roof, need to choose Dish Network or Direct TV. I was just told by a local installer that Dish Network may not be in business much longer??

The weights seem to be reasonable, truck with two people full fuel and shell over bed, 100# in the back

Front axle 2650
Rear axle 2250
Total 5050

Add trailer, empty water, full propane, equipped galley and household.

Front 2600
Rear 2900
Total truck 5950

Trailer 5500

Max weights truck

Front axle 4000
Rear axle 4150
GVWR 7200
Max Towing 10100
Max combined 16000

Max weight trailer

Max gross 8800
Max cargo 2048

I am pleased, tows well and comfortable space to be in. already starting to plan modifications. I feel like a 18 year old who just got his dream car.
__________________

__________________
unsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
purman's Avatar
 
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,542
congrats, We use to live south of you in kent/Renton. Yep the solar is useless out there except for maybe a month or two. But yes it you go south our out west and south west it will be great. Good luck...
__________________

__________________
Jason

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
New Member
 
Irwin , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Still happy w/ 30' Flying Cloud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsui View Post
First impressions of the new rig. I have purchased a 30’ Flying Cloud with the lounger chairs in front. Towing with ProPride hooked to a Toyota Tundra 4WD Platinum. P3 brake control. Truck seems to have plenty of power, at least at lower elevations-haven’t been above 2000’. It is stable in crosswinds and dealing with large trucks.

A few minor problems, water hoses reversed at basin-hot water on the right and leak in drain under kitchen sink. There is a leak in the aft quarter with hard rain and wind.

Yesturday I recieved a Safety Recall Notice from Airstream. They put the wrong axles on the trailer! I bought it from Sutton RV in Oregon. A trip from Whidbey Island down to get the axles changed out. I am very pleased with the service at the dealership, fair, frendly, and professional.

I ordered the trailer with several options, 40# aluminum tanks. The heater uses more propane than I expected and is much louder. I have been living on a sailboat for the past five years, heater on the boat is far superior. Stove and oven are fine. Water heater works well and being able to run electric and gas simultaniously will keep me in lots of hot water for showers.

Put on the solar option, at 48 North in this climate it is useless. The batteries run down when the unit is not occupied. The only load the conrol panel for the fridge and subwoofer. Hope for better results when I go South.

I have a King Dome 2200 on the roof, need to choose Dish Network or Direct TV. I was just told by a local installer that Dish Network may not be in business much longer??

The weights seem to be reasonable, truck with two people full fuel and shell over bed, 100# in the back

Front axle 2650
Rear axle 2250
Total 5050

Add trailer, empty water, full propane, equipped galley and household.

Front 2600
Rear 2900
Total truck 5950

Trailer 5500

Max weights truck

Front axle 4000
Rear axle 4150
GVWR 7200
Max Towing 10100
Max combined 16000

Max weight trailer

Max gross 8800
Max cargo 2048

I am pleased, tows well and comfortable space to be in. already starting to plan modifications. I feel like a 18 year old who just got his dream car.
Hello,
My wife and I are looking at a new (holdover)2010 30' Flying Cloud.
We too have a Toyota Tundra for TV (2011 Dbl Cab, 5.7l, 4WD, Two Package).
Are you still happy with your 30' Flying Cloud? Any words of warning or suggestions for upgrades?
Thanks
__________________
evanscn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 31
Yes still very happy with the rig. No major problems with trailer or truck. I changed the mirrors on the truck to extending Toyota tow mirrors and replaced the gas tank with a 46 gallon tank. 400 mile range now. The only significant change to the trailer was replacing the stove with a Force 10 boat stove. The Amana the came standard was not well designed. The hole in the counter is a standard size so it was a simple drop in change. If I had it to do over I would get exactly the same trailer and truck.
__________________
unsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 31
One thing to add. The propride is a great hitch. I have towed in high winds and in the snow over passes. The truck feels more stable towing than just driving. I average about 10 MPG towing.
__________________
unsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Question 30' lightweight

unsui,


"Add trailer, empty water, full propane, equipped galley and household.

Front 2600
Rear 2900
Total truck 5950

Trailer 5500"

Am I reading this rite.... 30'...5500lbs on the trlr axle's, hitched, loaded, with WD bars set?

Wish I could get anywhere near that with our 25'.

It also has under-rated axles, two 3500lb with a GVWR on the trailer of 7300lbs. All we got from AS..."oh well"

Glad to see their finally doing the right thing.


Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV wt..jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	155206   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT Weights.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	155207  

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 31
Yes, your right-it was my first trip through the scales-not CAT scales. Ran through CAT scales on the way to Burningman and I was over max on the truck. I was carrying two 2400 generators, full gas in truck, full water in trailer. 35 gallons of gas in gerry cans and 50 gallons of water in gerry cans plus all my burningman gear in the truck bed. Don't remember the figures but no discernable change in handling and still had plenty of power at 4000' elevation.
__________________
unsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
unsui,


If you don't mind I'm curious as to what axle your trailer came with and what did AS replace them with?

The axle weight rating's should be on the PDI/delivery sheet that the dealer gave you at delivery, should look something like this....


It took me three years to realize we had a problem.


Your very lucky that your rig only weighs 5500 hitched ready to go.

The tickets I posted above were fully loaded for two+ weeks of "dock'n".

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,421
Blog Entries: 2
The 300 pounds would be part of the hitch weight. Axles are correct in my opinion. jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,421
Blog Entries: 2
Ten to 15 percent on hitch. jim
__________________
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
The 300 pounds would be part of the hitch weight. Axles are correct in my opinion. jim
My axles?

7640lbs trlr axles loaded with WD set, and good load on str axles.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member
 
2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 31
trailer is 8800# max. Each new axle is 4400# Just checked the last CAT figures. Truck is well under on each axle but pushing max GVW. trailer came in at 7650# loaded for travel.
__________________
unsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsui View Post
trailer is 8800# max. Each new axle is 4400# Just checked the last CAT figures. Truck is well under on each axle but pushing max GVW. trailer came in at 7650# loaded for travel.
OUTSTANDING...looks like JC has really stepped up and acknowledged an obvious shortcoming.

Bob
__________________

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not my Flying Cloud SilverHoot 1950-1955 Flying Cloud 0 10-10-2009 11:09 AM
55 flying cloud, how much? Lychgate Trailer Values 5 07-11-2007 06:14 PM
help with a '62 Flying Cloud stevenormand 1960 - 1963 Flying Cloud 1 02-24-2006 09:28 PM
A/C on a 55 Flying Cloud - how? RichardT Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 1 11-16-2004 07:58 PM
I think this is a '55 flying cloud?? jaynshae 1950-1955 Flying Cloud 5 09-05-2004 10:50 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.