Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Financing Travel Trailer as 2nd Home Tax Deduction

Greetings to all!

I am new to the forums, but have been reading for a while. My husband and I are researching and shopping for our first Aistream, and we have acquired a lot of INVALUABLE information just by reading what you all have shared about your Airstream experiences! What a terrific resource you all are!

Well, here is my first question. Someone mentioned to us that whatever financing we get to purchase a trailer or motorhome can be declared in our tax deductions as though it was a 2nd home - so long as the trailer or whatever is a self-contained unit. Does anyone know if this is true? (We have a call in to our tax accountant, but, wouldn't you know it, he's out of town on vacation right now, so we haven't heard back with an official answer.) Anyone out there who itemizes deductions have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Mrs. Silverback
Phoenix
Mrs Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Mrs. Silverback, yes, if it self-contained and has it's own loan BUT qualified yes on using a home equity loan. Your mortgage and equity loan on the "home" are limited to some extent--can't add up to more than--here's where Brenda, my accountant, is not certain--the value or appraised value of "the home". Both state and fed tax deduction as 2nd home are OK.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:58 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Financing Travel Trailer as 2nd Home Tax Deduction

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Silverback
Greetings to all!

Anyone out there who itemizes deductions have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Mrs. Silverback
Phoenix
Yes I itemize, and a loan secured by the trailer is deductible. If I remember the real key is having the bathroom. I remember that some boats have the same status because they are self contained.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
my understanding is that it has to have a toilet, specifically...but perhaps its an entire bathroom. And you have to live in it for 2 weeks out of the year.

(that's what they told us when I worked at a car dealership, years ago, in reference to "conversion vans". you could put a "porta-potty" in it, live in it for 2 weeks, and write it off as a second home. they may have been stretching it, though )
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
It just needs to have bathroom/kitchen type facilities. Those things that any second home would have.

Should clarify that only the interest is deductable and any personal property tax if applicable. As Jack said the deduction is taken as an itemized deduction on schedule A.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:01 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Excellent! That's what we want!

It should be easy to spend 2 weeks, if that is a requirement! But just having someone verify that the deduction is possible is good news!

Thanks everyone - now we just have to find the right Airstream trailer for us!
Old 07-11-2003, 04:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up

According to the TurboTax "help" list it has to have the following capabilities:

1. Sleeping
2. Cooking
3. Permanent Toilet

Good luck!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I found these two questions/answers on the IRS FAQ website
Quote:
Question: I bought a 5th wheel trailer for vacationing. Can I deduct the interest on the loan for this 5th wheel? Where would it be listed?

Answer: You can deduct the interest paid on the loan you took out to purchase the trailer as acquisition indebtedness interest only if the loan is secured by the trailer and the trailer meets the requirements of a qualified home. A qualified home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, boat or similar property that has sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities. You can only have one principal residence and one qualified second home. Regardless of whether the trailer qualifies as a home, interest on home equity indebtedness secured by another qualified home and used to acquire the trailer may also be deductible. The interest is deducted as mortgage interest on line 11 of Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), Itemized Deductions.

References:

* Publication 936 (PDF), Home Mortgage Interest Deduction
* Tax Topic 505, Interest Expense

Question: What are the rules for mortgage interest on a manufactured home? Can I deduct the interest on the mortgage for the manufactured home if it is on a rented lot? Can I deduct the interest for the manufactured home and for the lot if I buy a lot for the home?

Answer: For you to take a home mortgage interest deduction, your debt must be secured by a qualified home. This means your main home or your second home. A home includes a house, condominium, cooperative, mobile home, boat, or similar property that has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.

The mortgage interest on a manufactured home may be deducted if the home is on a rented lot. If you buy a lot and place a manufactured home on it, the interest paid for the lot is also qualifying home mortgage interest, provided the mortgage is secured by the house.

References:

* Publication 936 (PDF), Home Mortgage Interest Deduction
* Tax Topic 505, Interest Expense
BlahBlahBlah...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Wow - that's about as official as it gets!

Thank you!