Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2008, 01:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Andy,
You hit the nail square on..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Thor has a little depth but the best thing that could happen to them is for Warren B to buy them and instill some level of marketing into the company.

Harley Davidson makes more money off the cloths and other junk they sell than they do off the bikes. Airstream has about the same type of fanatical following as Harley, even tough most would not admit it. Given that fanatical following that no one has yet marketed to Airstream could most likely survive through this period just selling accessories and designer cloths to existing owners. They have the trademark they just aren't using it.

I have never understood why a company with minimal dealer locations refuses to sell parts and those few accessories they do have directly. They may not have heard of the internet yet.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Sunny South , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The new Scout prototype, from the outside, looks like an old Shasta, well sort of.

But, when you look inside, WOW!

Andy
The Scout looks very progressive inside and out, but the name seems a little dated, conjures up visions of the Confederacy or little girls in green uniforms. I do hope they sell well, sure would like the company to continue.
A/SimpleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I like the name Scout, It makes me think of someone who is out front, ahead of the pack. It seems to be a perfect way to bring the younger crowd in and anyone else that may want a nice small light weight trailer with the Airstream Company and quality behind it. I hope it goes in to production. I predict it out sales the Base Camp by a mile.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
It seems to be a perfect way to bring the younger crowd in and anyone else that may want a nice small light weight trailer with the Airstream Company and quality behind it. I hope it goes in to production. I predict it out sales the Base Camp by a mile.
A highly valid observation. We always needed something a Nissan Murano could tow. Or heck, even a 4-cylinder Highlander.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
A highly valid observation. We always needed something a Nissan Murano could tow. Or heck, even a 4-cylinder Highlander.
Bob.

Maybe Airstream is working towards using the ulitimate TV.

The Wally famous..........................Bicycle.

Light weight trailers equals lighter weight tow vehicles, and of course, lighter weight hitch torsion bars too.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:10 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Scout/Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The new Scout prototype, from the outside, looks like an old Shasta, well sort of.

But, when you look inside, WOW, a different world.
Hi, my first thought was that it looks similar to a Shasta, but modernized. I think it is a pretty neat trailer, but I don't think it should be called an Airstream. Maybe a subdivision of Airstream and a whole new line of trailers branded "Scout". I have a bad feeling that this is an early attempt by Airstream to stray away from the traditional classic design of today's Airstream trailers. And phase out corrosion/clearcoat concerns Etc. and compete with the cheap brands. [secret life support?]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
iStream?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:14 AM   #49
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I bicycle alot. Over the years bicycles have become extremely light and fast, with improvement in quality and strength. This has in part been done with use of materials such as carbon fiber, magnesium alloy, etc.
As TT's grow lighter, I hope that they follow a similar trend of improving quality at the same time.
I worry that the industry is in a panic to make lighter units by the least expensive means possible. I would hate to see a whole new generation of unimagined equipment failures.
Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Just saw Andy's reference on the AS "Scout" prototype in this thread. While I like looks of the "Scout" prototype, I don't think it looks like an airstream nor meet the requirements for their new trademark protection, ... but that's just my opinion. I'll let the lawyers haggle that one out.

What I do think the Scout looks like is the refined older sibling of Tab-rv.com - T@B Microlite teardrop RV travel trailer campers - Tab which has grown out of it's cartoonish cute looks. No complaints there.

As for AS focusing on something new, that's a good thing and I wish they would look at addressing some of their issues with their current models. When I stopped by at the Eugene dealer two months ago (early Nov), there were new models on the lot with filiform corrosion around some the rivets near the beltline.

We were considering just buying a "finished" one to get a on the road sooner and the continue the work on '75 Safari... but I expect my old trailer to have corrision (it's 33 years old). I don't expect a new trailer to have it before I pull it off the lot.

My two cents.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #51
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Nope. Tow the Scout with a Scout. Something like this.

Tim

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Cool! I got a 76 Scout with *too* many mods. It that a '74?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #53
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
IMHO the real "killer" today in an industry like RVs is the current credit squeeze. Even if dealers want to stock product (TTs) they can't get credit to do it, they would have to find cash from their opwn pockets, and what retailer is going to do that, supposing he even could?

Even worse, if an end user (you and I) want to buy an AS, you won't get the easy credit you could a year ago to buy it, even iuf you are completely credit-worthy.

The same banks that were happy to loan the dealers and us oodles of cash a year ago are now so afraid of their shadows that they will not make loans, despite the multi-billions of bottom line profit they have been making off us for years.

Sad, and self-defeating.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

Thor credit

BREAKING NEWS
Thor Details New Credit Program at Trade Show
Dave Barbulesco
RV Business
Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Thor Industries Inc. openly promoted its previously announced Thor Credit program at the Louisville Show that will provide a much-needed retail lending source for the Jackson Center, Ohio-based company’s dealer body.

“The entire industry has suffered from decline in availability of retail credit and our dealers have constantly been asking for us to help them out,” said COO Richard “Dicky” Riegel. “It’s important that we have wholesale floorplan financing, but retail credit is truly the missing link.

“The benefits are two-fold. Dealers can increase retail turns and sell-through to help move products. And, potentially, this will help restore the hold-back profit center where participating dealers make a margin on sale of retail financing.”

The program will offer financing on all new Thor products along with used products of any make. Riegel said that Thor would be originating the loans – all prime or super-prime – then selling the paper off “to various financial institutions including small and mid-sized banks.”

Riegel reported that Thor was on a swift timetable regarding the program’s official launch. “We intend to be originating loans as soon as possible in the show season,” he said.

The plan resurrects the company's previous credit program, which was terminated when partner GE Money exited the RV retail lending arena in May.

“Thor credit has been in business since 1994 with a few different partners,” Riegel said. “When GE exited this summer, we immediately started working on reimplementing a program that would help our dealers during this critical time.”

The division will be led by former Thor Credit employees Ed Arienti, Margaret Gandolfo and Nancy Hartmann.

Riegel said the announcement was well received in Louisville, noting, “I’ve never been thanked so many times.”

He added, “We see Thor Credit as a major example of our belief in the RV market, and commitment to dealers and our shared consumers. This is an opportunity for Thor, with the strongest balance sheet in the industry, to use our strength to inject liquidity into the marketplace.”

Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #55
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287 View Post
Riegel said the announcement was well received in Louisville, noting, “I’ve never been thanked so many times.”

He added, “We see Thor Credit as a major example of our belief in the RV market, and commitment to dealers and our shared consumers. This is an opportunity for Thor, with the strongest balance sheet in the industry, to use our strength to inject liquidity into the marketplace.”
Well, that certainly shows a huge amount of faith and insight into what is actually needed today to sustain business.

The perfect move to make, glad they are in a position to do it and have the good sense to make the move.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Agree... the Thor announcement is good news. Are there any details on how this would affect the real world?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
The Scout kind of reminds me of the kits that Wally started with......

Thanks for the pictures Rich!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Update on financials

Thought I would share the current status of Thor

BREAKING NEWS
Thor Industries Reports Decline in 2Q Revenue
RV Business
Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thor Industries Inc. reported a 62% drop in sales for its fiscal second quarter, ended Jan 31.

In its preliminary report, the Jackson Center, Ohio-based firm said revenue for the quarter totaled $227 million, down from $599 million the previous year. RV sales were $135 million compared with $505 million the year prior and bus sales were $92 million versus $94 million.

Sales for the six months were $665 million, down from $1.36 billion a year ago. RV sales fell to $465 million from $1.17 billion while bus sales were a record $200 million, up 4% from $193 million last year.

Cash, cash equivalents and investments on January 31 were $306 million versus $234 million last year and the backlog was $392 million, down from $568 million last year.

RV backlog dropped to $175 million from $318 million in the year-ago period.

Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Had a nice chat with my local dealer today. He reports the bottom has passed. Things are looking up and he expects better sales for the rest of the year. I'm not saying we are out of the woods yet, I'm just saying that the worst is over. Airstream is a premium brand with a good product and great name recognition. I think it will hold if Thor can hang in there.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote