Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2004, 09:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Finally got my AS Home!

Well after only a month or so of waiting for 4 dry days in a row so the ground would be dry enough to pull my 31ft AS over it finally happened.

Got to say that when I drove down the first time to look the AS over I didn't do a good job at all, but this turned out to be a good thing.

Today was the day and we went down and pulled our baby right out like it had a desire to come to its new home. Pulled like a dream.

Positive things from today:

1) Tires were in great shape and were said to be new when the PO parked it there.

2) New magnetic brakes had been installed by PO before he parked it there and they are in great shape too.

3) Wheel bearings actually looked as if they had been packed yesterday.

4) Belly pan looks as if it was new too. Great shape.

5) Expected to have frame separation because it is a rear bath unit and it is a 1975. NO FRAME SEPARATION.

6) Floors are solid throughout, but didn't check around the toilet yet. I'll be checking that out over this upcoming weekend.

7) Big + here...I was already pricing out a pair of Worthington aluminum 30s and to my great surprise it has a pair of them on it. They just need the old polishing rag for a few hours and they will be great looking.

8) The dent on the left front panel that I thought was so bad looks like I can pull it out with the suction cups. Not nearly as bad as I had thought it was.

9) The trailer is really dirty from sitting under the trees for 4 years, but on the good side it looks like the clear coat is still good and it seems to have a lot of shine under the dirt.

10) All the keys and all locks work properly.

11) It even came with a 1974 service manual. I think this should be ok even though it is a 75 model.

12) It had antifreeze (The pink stuff) injected by the PO when he parked it and its still in it. Other than a good washout the water system seems good.

14) Have to skip 13 here; I think it doesn't have any leaks either. It had been sealed by the PO when he parked it and it never moved. Also no smell of mildew or mold inside.

Negatives from today:

1) Main awning is completely shot. At first I thought I might be able to fix it up, but no go.

2) Awning over front and over back windows are shot too. Looks like its going to get a rock guard and maybe one in the rear too.

3) Carpet is completely shot, worn out so I will be putting down a new floor. Right now I am thinking of a thick linoleum or pergo. It’s a toss up right now, but I kind of think I will go with the pergo….If you have an opinion please let me know.

4) Can't be sure on this, but the electric jack in the front didn't seem to work. Didn't have a battery to put in where the old one was and couldn't jump directly to it. So if it doesn’t work I guess I need a new one.

Well finally got it home so I guess its official...........I'm really an Airstreamer...

Guess the first order of business is to give it a really good wash and then to start sealing it and checking for any loose rivets............

Overall................

IT'S BEEN ONE GREAT DAY!

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !

Sounds like a G R E A T day to me! Bet you can't wait until the weekend to dive in...

Enjoy!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Congratulations John! And welcome to the club! If you don't mind , how much did you have to give for your find? Hope you have lots of fun. Camping is just a side benefit to owning an A/S. Working on it and spending time with it is very addictive, watch out, but I think its to late.

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Congatulations John!

I have to agree with Leonard about the addiction part. After 2 months we're heading out on our maiden voyage this weekend. We were't so lucky as to have a PO who winterized and had to replace a large amount of copper with PEX. Why only today I flushed for the first time

To the point of Flooring... We just had a high end wood laminate installed and it looks great Our 1970 has the walnut panelling and we went with a darker floor. I thought it might be too dark but was really happy with the look.

Enjoy!

Ken.
TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hey, the jack is probably just the battery. Also, check all of the fuses, get a new batttery in there and I bet it works fine. Also look to see if it has "tripped", something people have mentioned about raising or lowering too far can cause it to "trip" or need to be reset. But without a good battery the jack may not work right even with shore power.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
Well after only a month or so of waiting for 4 dry days in a row so the ground would be dry enough to pull my 31ft AS over it finally happened.
[/color]

Congratulations on your new Airstream. I have found this forum invaluable for all types of Airstream advice.

Where did you have to tow it from?
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight
Congratulations John! And welcome to the club! If you don't mind , how much did you have to give for your find? Hope you have lots of fun. Camping is just a side benefit to owning an A/S. Working on it and spending time with it is very addictive, watch out, but I think its to late.
Another plus too! In one of the cabinets I found a miniature Airstream that looks like it's the same model, but a different year. It is made by Franklin Mint.

I thought I got a bargain and after I got it home and found all the goodies I know I got a great deal. Heck, I think its camp ready to tell the truth except I will seal it first. I paid $2500 and only had to go 100 miles south of me to get it. It came with all kinds of books, all the towing equipment too. I went ahead and used their towing equipment to save time. (The spring tension bars with the chains) Their sway bar was frozen, so I used mine. I will be changing the hitch over to the equalizer hitch. I like that hitch much better than the chain thing.

Heck even all the running lights worked except the reverse light on the left side, (Bulb)

I am pleasantly surprised at the condition of this unit. I am lucky to have found something that I have always wanted without costing me much, and to tell the truth I probably couldn't have gotten a decent (SOB) for what I spent.

Unfortunately, the
PO developed heart problems 4 years back and passed away last year, that is why it was sitting for so long and probably why I got it at such a great price.

Another great thing is that the original owner is the
PO's brother. It has been in their family since it was new. They said if I need any info on it all I need to do is give them a call. I plan on trying to work out the history on the unit too.

Got to get back down there real soon so I can take that man and his wife out to dinner. He did more work helping me to get everything going than the guy I brought to help.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Such a deal!

The Franklin Mint model typically sells for about $200 on ebay alone!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote