Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Final Pay Check

I have been planning my "Retirement" on 1/1/2014 for about a year now but today I had a cold chill when our payroll department sent me an email letting me that my unused vacation pay for 2013 would be included in "My Final Paycheck". Two things hit home, no more paid vacation and Final Pay Check. "I was just kidding, I am not retiring" is what I wanted to respond. But I took a deep breath and regained my perspective. I have planned ahead and have things in order financially. We are staying in our home but we should be able to travel more in Airstream Motor Home and enjoy this new adventure. I am going through my check list now. What should I make sure that is on my check list as I get ready to make this step.

Thanks everyone, see you down the road

Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I know what it's like, Don, I took that dive into the unknown in March of 2008. It was scary at first, but you know what? Give yourself a bit of time, you will be amazed at how good it is. And how busy your family will keep you!

If you have a plan, you are way ahead of most folks, so all you need to remember now is "Plan your work and work your plan".

See you down the road.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
I dunno, I hear retirement can be pretty tough - as you sorta noted, retirees never get a day off.
Congratulations on the big step, and best wishes for a fun and happy retirement!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I retired 2+ years ago and it has been great. We spent 160+ days on the road this year and visited over 20 states.

The best advise I have is to do all of your banking online. Get a smartphone to pay bills and monitor your accounts. Take plenty of pictures and post them here.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Congratulations and welcome to your new career! I am a few years behind you. I am sure that now you can get to some of that "other stuff" with your new schedule. Now, get a ladder and caulk around those roof vents!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
When u leave home, be sure any "bills"(which are never fully retired) are on "auto pay". If afraid of "bank issues" create a new account and put money in there to cover the charges. Set up auto pay from other accounts. That way you only need to remember to put money in the account.

Make copies of all credit cards and other important document. Put one copy in safe place in AS, leave other with someone you trust. Don't forget to document the "emergency" numbers for your credit cards, lawyer, etc in safe place.

Mostly don't forget your sense if humor and remember, "work" did not define your life, only you do by what you do from here out.

Peace and blessings!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
"work" did not define your life, only you do by what you do from here out.
Great saying. So often we make work our purpose.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I retired 2+ years ago and it has been great. We spent 160+ days on the road this year and visited over 20 states.

The best advise I have is to do all of your banking online. Get a smartphone to pay bills and monitor your accounts. Take plenty of pictures and post them here.
Yes for sure, I already bank on line and have a new iPhone 5s and a new laptop or tablet computer is in the near future. I love pictures. Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
When u leave home, be sure any "bills"(which are never fully retired) are on "auto pay". If afraid of "bank issues" create a new account and put money in there to cover the charges. Set up auto pay from other accounts. That way you only need to remember to put money in the account.

Make copies of all credit cards and other important document. Put one copy in safe place in AS, leave other with someone you trust. Don't forget to document the "emergency" numbers for your credit cards, lawyer, etc in safe place.

Mostly don't forget your sense if humor and remember, "work" did not define your life, only you do by what you do from here out.

Peace and blessings!
Good, good, good. OK add those to my list. I love it, "work" did not define your life, only you do by what you do from here out.

rodsterinfl Now, get a ladder and caulk around those roof vents!

That reminds me I have one of those new vent covers to install, Thanks
Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Don-

Congratulations, and good luck with new chapter.. As a "Serial Retiree" (3 times so far..) most useful advice I found was to avoid drastic or radical changes as you "decompress" from long-term work routines.. It takes a while to get used to rising with the sun, making plans day-by-day and thoughtfully deciding what your priorities are going forward.. After you've spent some time with that process, then you can begin working on projects and planning specific trips or adventure travels...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
According to my app on my Iphone I have 154 more days until my final paycheck. I am looking forward to joining the club. I took a year off about 30 years ago and was surprised to learn how comfortable life can be and not knowing what day it was. I hope you enjoy your time.
Doug
Old 12-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
After forty years, I retired on June 30th of this year. We then left on July 20th for a three and a half month trip throughout the Rocky Mountains and then the Four Corners as participants in the WBCCI Southwest Adventure Caravan. Needless to say it was the trip of a lifetime for us. The Suburban and Flying Cloud did not miss a beat over the 12,000 miles. Not it is back home for the holidays and to figure out what's next. I just don't seem to be a in a hurry to find out what that is over than taking off for Florida in February. Good luck to you!!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
How many retired people does it take to change a light bulb? Just one but it takes all day. You'll come to see this joke as funny.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
When people ask what do I do. My response is " Anything I want ". Enjoy retirement you earned it. OH, and don't look back

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote