Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
I will reach the 65 milestone on May 7! My wife is taking early retirement May 8!

She has been working to keep me in health insurance. With my being able to get on Medicare, she doesn't need to keep up the insurance.

It is cheaper for her to go through the exchanges to get insurance. Even without a subsidy (we don't qualify) it is a good deal.

After the ATHS (American Truck Historical Society) national show in Springfield at the end of May, we are taking off in our Airstream.

We like Arizona and I want to go to Florida to see my 4 brothers who all live there.

Lots of work getting ready, what with medicine, taxes, etc. But we are looking forward to the trip.

Gonna do it now while we still can. Our neighbor down the street has a 34 Excella triple axle that hasn't been out of his driveway in at least 6 years. He is in his late 80s, his wife is almost an invalid. He tells me about the trips they used to take when their health was good. He thinks he's got maybe one more trip left in him.

He tells us to get while the gettings good!

And we shall!
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Ok well today personnel called with the magic date - 2 years 4mths away! I told you I was a few years behind you. I hope all is going well. Caulk was on sale at Cmpgwrld and I thought of you Adonh!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Wow. I just got out of a meeting like that.... :-) time to retire :-)

(417 days and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
Protagonist,
Thanks for the Kayak info.
You mentioned once, that your an engineer. The 2/2/14 Dilbert cartoon addresses that field.
Perhaps this will tickle your funny bone.
Mockinbrd
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:46 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I am told an AS will accelerate my retirement date. With the acquisition of my new AS this month we are open to that revelation. Have a good feeling about this.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Got my last official paycheck today!

Now I get to start doing whatever I want.
Just don't tell any of my relatives that I'm retired.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:43 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Pro,
Getting specific, does this Dilbert explain your position?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1391838192.639226.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	205141

Plg
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #67
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Pretty much what I told my boss just before I retired. To my surprise he agreed totally and started asking me about advise for retiring. My immediate boss retired 2 weeks after me and the top boss retired shortly after. I do not think I had anything to do with that, but it does make me wonder. Both were asking me about what I was to do after retiring. Of course both of them retired very well off, not so much forme but we do get by very well. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
Kind of like "Fishing is like having nothing to do and all day to do it"
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Pretty much what I told my boss just before I retired. To my surprise he agreed totally and started asking me about advise for retiring. My immediate boss retired 2 weeks after me and the top boss retired shortly after. I do not think I had anything to do with that, but it does make me wonder. Both were asking me about what I was to do after retiring. Of course both of them retired very well off, not so much forme but we do get by very well. Jim
I get that "what are you going to do now" question pretty much every time I tell someone i am retired / retiring. The first responses has been nothing, what I want to do, and smile a lot. Actually, I think I will be plenty busy for the immediate future.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I'm all for retirement. I retired from all professional work at age 44. I just turned 63. My only unsolicited advice to anyone who wants to hear it, is to not attempt to turn "retirement" into some sort of Disneyland, where all you think about is yourself and "having fun." I say this as guy with an Airstream and a second home. So, after several years of Airstreaming, golf, whatever, just look around and see what you can do to improve the lives of those around you, in addition to some traditional retirement activities.

If you make service part of your retirement, my argument is that you'll actually have more meaning and true joy in your life, than just thinking about yourself. For what it's worth, from a guy who been "retired" for a long time, with maybe a long time to go...
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Mistermcfrug

I agree with your post. Meaning in your life, however you define that, is paramount to a happy life.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post

So, after several years of Airstreaming, golf, whatever, just look around and see what you can do to improve the lives of those around you, in addition to some traditional retirement activities.

If you make service part of your retirement, my argument is that you'll actually have more meaning and true joy in your life, than just thinking about yourself. For what it's worth, from a guy who been "retired" for a long time, with maybe a long time to go...
Great post mistermcfrug.
Be kind to all--everyone has a story to share-everyone has a burden to bear.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I have been very busy since I retired in 2006. I don't know how I got everything done when I was working. Having time to complete projects that were in the back of my mind for years has been very enjoyable. Most of them are done now and it's time to put some miles on the A$.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
What a bunch of GREAT stories!! I'm in my 20th year of service work for Coca-Cola and at this point my thoughts of retirement all seem to center on the financial aspects.
(am I saving enough? Diversified? Managing debt? savings...etc....) I'm sure when the time comes I'll move into the "WHAT am I going to do with myself" phase.
Keep up the good work Gentlemen, your all doing a fine job!

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
What a bunch of GREAT stories!! I'm in my 20th year of service work for Coca-Cola and at this point my thoughts of retirement all seem to center on the financial aspects.
(am I saving enough? Diversified? Managing debt? savings...etc....) I'm sure when the time comes I'll move into the "WHAT am I going to do with myself" phase.
Keep up the good work Gentlemen, your all doing a fine job!
Focusing on the financial aspects IS a good place to center your attention.
Without having that in order when the time comes, it's pretty hard to do much of the "other stuff".
I watched my dear old Dad "retire" many years ago, with essentially little to no money. He did nothing in retirement except walk out to the back patio and sit in the sun, because that was pretty much all he afford.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:05 AM   #76
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I knew I'd never get wealthy on a Government paycheck, so my financial planning for retirement started two decades ago. I started by estimating what my retirement pay would be, based what my salary was at the time. Then I made a concerted effort to live on just that, and bank/invest the difference. Every year, if I got a cost-of-living increase, a promotion, or other pay increase, I recomputed my estimated retirement pay, and adjusted my budget accordingly.

I've known far too many coworkers who couldn't afford to retire because they couldn't take the pay cut and still pay all of their bills. I didn't want to be like them. My simple plan seems to have worked. That simple adjustment in my standard of living allowed me to pay cash for a new Airstream Interstate two years ago. And a year later, to pay cash for a toad to pull behind it. And still have close to three years' worth of retirement income scattered among my various accounts and investments, while still being eleven months away from retirement.

And best of all I'll only be 56½ years old when I retire from Federal service, so I should have plenty of years to enjoy my retirement. I could increase my retirement income if I kept working for a few more years, but why? I don't have any dependents to leave it all to. All I need is enough to live on; as long as I don't run out of money before I run out of life, or vice versa, I'm good.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Pro, make sure you look into health ins if you retire that early. If you get it from your fed job then you are all set. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Sound financial planning is the key to being able to enjoy the "golden years". Unfortunately many people do not consider retirement planning until later in life when it is tough or almost impossible to "catch up" to where you should be at that point in time. For many the "golden years have turned to lead".
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #79
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Pro, make sure you look into health ins if you retire that early. If you get it from your fed job then you are all set. Jim
Yep. Group insurance through my employer, and I get to keep it after I retire. Best of all, unaffected by the misnamed "Affordable Care Act." Medicare will kick in when I'm old enough, too.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM   #80
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Having taken Pro's route on similar fashion I started my retirement budget 10 years from retirement, built our retirement home 5 years out, sold our work house 6 months before retirement, lived in a SOB and last work day got in the car and drove to Florida. Planning is a key to successful retirement IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote