Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Mistermcfrug

I agree with your post. Meaning in your life, however you define that, is paramount to a happy life.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post

So, after several years of Airstreaming, golf, whatever, just look around and see what you can do to improve the lives of those around you, in addition to some traditional retirement activities.

If you make service part of your retirement, my argument is that you'll actually have more meaning and true joy in your life, than just thinking about yourself. For what it's worth, from a guy who been "retired" for a long time, with maybe a long time to go...
Great post mistermcfrug.
Be kind to all--everyone has a story to share-everyone has a burden to bear.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I have been very busy since I retired in 2006. I don't know how I got everything done when I was working. Having time to complete projects that were in the back of my mind for years has been very enjoyable. Most of them are done now and it's time to put some miles on the A$.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
What a bunch of GREAT stories!! I'm in my 20th year of service work for Coca-Cola and at this point my thoughts of retirement all seem to center on the financial aspects.
(am I saving enough? Diversified? Managing debt? savings...etc....) I'm sure when the time comes I'll move into the "WHAT am I going to do with myself" phase.
Keep up the good work Gentlemen, your all doing a fine job!

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #75
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
What a bunch of GREAT stories!! I'm in my 20th year of service work for Coca-Cola and at this point my thoughts of retirement all seem to center on the financial aspects.
(am I saving enough? Diversified? Managing debt? savings...etc....) I'm sure when the time comes I'll move into the "WHAT am I going to do with myself" phase.
Keep up the good work Gentlemen, your all doing a fine job!
Focusing on the financial aspects IS a good place to center your attention.
Without having that in order when the time comes, it's pretty hard to do much of the "other stuff".
I watched my dear old Dad "retire" many years ago, with essentially little to no money. He did nothing in retirement except walk out to the back patio and sit in the sun, because that was pretty much all he afford.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #76
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I knew I'd never get wealthy on a Government paycheck, so my financial planning for retirement started two decades ago. I started by estimating what my retirement pay would be, based what my salary was at the time. Then I made a concerted effort to live on just that, and bank/invest the difference. Every year, if I got a cost-of-living increase, a promotion, or other pay increase, I recomputed my estimated retirement pay, and adjusted my budget accordingly.

I've known far too many coworkers who couldn't afford to retire because they couldn't take the pay cut and still pay all of their bills. I didn't want to be like them. My simple plan seems to have worked. That simple adjustment in my standard of living allowed me to pay cash for a new Airstream Interstate two years ago. And a year later, to pay cash for a toad to pull behind it. And still have close to three years' worth of retirement income scattered among my various accounts and investments, while still being eleven months away from retirement.

And best of all I'll only be 56 years old when I retire from Federal service, so I should have plenty of years to enjoy my retirement. I could increase my retirement income if I kept working for a few more years, but why? I don't have any dependents to leave it all to. All I need is enough to live on; as long as I don't run out of money before I run out of life, or vice versa, I'm good.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Pro, make sure you look into health ins if you retire that early. If you get it from your fed job then you are all set. Jim
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Sound financial planning is the key to being able to enjoy the "golden years". Unfortunately many people do not consider retirement planning until later in life when it is tough or almost impossible to "catch up" to where you should be at that point in time. For many the "golden years have turned to lead".
Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #79

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Pro, make sure you look into health ins if you retire that early. If you get it from your fed job then you are all set. Jim
Yep. Group insurance through my employer, and I get to keep it after I retire. Best of all, unaffected by the misnamed "Affordable Care Act." Medicare will kick in when I'm old enough, too.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
Having taken Pro's route on similar fashion I started my retirement budget 10 years from retirement, built our retirement home 5 years out, sold our work house 6 months before retirement, lived in a SOB and last work day got in the car and drove to Florida. Planning is a key to successful retirement IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Actually I have the affordable care act ins. 210 a month, almost the same coverage I hah before retiring from my employer. Of course we live on SS and a small income from my wife. If you have a decent retirement and more income it may nit be cost effective. My wife is on Medicare and I will be in Aug. oh, quotes I had before Obama care were as high as 1200 a month. Do not believe in socialized anything, but I would be a fool not to take advantage of it. Sorry to hijack the thread!! Jim
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #82

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Do not believe in socialized anything, but I would be a fool not to take advantage of it. Sorry to hijack the thread!! Jim
Doesn't seem like a hijack; it's all part of getting set up for that final paycheck.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, pay everything off before you retire and basically don't owe anything to anybody. Learn to live with what you get and don't finance anything.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
I retired about 9 months ago (June 2013) and haven't looked back. Financial planning for retirement was always at the forefront throughout my working life and now money is not an impediment to our retirement plans. We also wanted to make sure we pulled the plug on the thread mill/rat race early enough to be able to enjoy life while we both still have our health. God willing, we are going to have a long and fruitful retirement. Don't know how I had time to work and still do the things I need/want to do, I have the time to consider this, but don't have the inclination to think about it as it is now in the rear view mirror, just behind our Airstream so I can't really see it anymore

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote