Old 01-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Retirement it does have it downside. For instance no weekends off, no paid holidays, no vacation time, no sick leave. As you see retirement does not have the benifits that working does but I am doing everything in my power enjoying mine.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #44
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm still nearly a year from retirement (344 days and counting!) but my give-a-rip meter is already pegged on empty! You just can't get stressed out when you don't give a rip.

Noted New Orleans media personality Frank Davis (may he rest in peace) once said, the secret to a happy life is:
1 - Find something you really enjoy doing.
2 - Do it better than anybody else.
3 - Find someone who'll pay you to do it.
By those criteria, retirement is a happy life by definition! But just to be certain that I fulfill all three criteria, I bought my Airstream a couple years ago, and have taken every chance I could to spend time in my Airstream getting in some retirement training, so that by the time I actually do retire, I'll be very good at retirement!

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
Just checked my iPhone app and it says 118 days left until retirement. Retiring May, 22, 2014, then brother and family are coming from California to celebrate my retirement and 70th birthday and leaving to go back to California on Memorial Day. After waving them goodbye, we're hitching up the trailer and heading to Alaska for a 3-4 month journey. Have a route in mind but no set itinerary. We'll return to Illinois after traveling down the whole West Coast and return via Route 66 leaving from Santa Monica and traveling to Chicago. (Was surprised to see that one of the starting points/ending points for Route 66 was Lou Mitchel's Restaurant in Chicago.) 10,000-15,000 miles planned. We hope we've covered all bases with routine bill paying on line, trying to think of the non-recurring bills that come due during the year, i.e., car insurance, license stickers, professional fees, etc. We thought we'd stay home next fall but after the winter we're having this year, we're thinking of leaving for the South in October or November and not returning again to the Midwest until Spring 2015.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
That sounds like an awesome plan... hope you have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
Just checked my iPhone app and it says 118 days left until retirement. Retiring May, 22, 2014, then brother and family are coming from California to celebrate my retirement and 70th birthday and leaving to go back to California on Memorial Day. After waving them goodbye, we're hitching up the trailer and heading to Alaska for a 3-4 month journey. Have a route in mind but no set itinerary. We'll return to Illinois after traveling down the whole West Coast and return via Route 66 leaving from Santa Monica and traveling to Chicago. (Was surprised to see that one of the starting points/ending points for Route 66 was Lou Mitchel's Restaurant in Chicago.) 10,000-15,000 miles planned. We hope we've covered all bases with routine bill paying on line, trying to think of the non-recurring bills that come due during the year, i.e., car insurance, license stickers, professional fees, etc. We thought we'd stay home next fall but after the winter we're having this year, we're thinking of leaving for the South in October or November and not returning again to the Midwest until Spring 2015.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Popped smoke on 3 January 2014 and have been very busy with retirement. Realized about a week after retiring that my stress level meter sets near zero and the afternoon maps are very refreshing. Once spring sets in I'll be very busy with outside chores.
Sounds like our plan come the end of March. Yahoo!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbroedlow View Post
I'm working up a plan for a long trip to Alaska sometime in 2015, if all goes well. I would be interested in hearing about your adventure when you get back or when you post them here on the AS forum. Be safe and enjoy.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Protagonist -- congratulations on getting to the 'count-down-to-retirement ' stage of your life. Good for you.
In another one of your posts you mention having a Sea Eagle kayak. Could you tell me which model you have and do you like it? (I'm looking at the SE3330) -- Mockinbrd
Old 01-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My hopes are that I have 8,790 days till I retire....just around the corner lol

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
My hopes are that I have 8,790 days till I retire....just around the corner lol
....get back to work youngster ! we need you to keep paying our SS checks !
Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #52

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
Protagonist -- congratulations on getting to the 'count-down-to-retirement ' stage of your life. Good for you.
In another one of your posts you mention having a Sea Eagle kayak. Could you tell me which model you have and do you like it? (I'm looking at the SE3330) -- Mockinbrd
FastTrack 385. To date all of my paddling has been flatwater; so the FastTrack, with its skeg and keel to help it track straight, is ideal for me. If you're going to do moderate whitewater, you might consider the Explorer models instead.

I really enjoy it. Even more so since I bought a wheeled carry-bag for it. The original carry bag made a pretty awkward bundle to schlep around. Bagged, it's about the same size as a suitcase.

One thing to keep in mind… they call it an inflatable kayak, but it's really an extremely stable inflatable canoe that you paddle with a double-ended paddle as you would a kayak. Don't expect it to do any of the cool kayak stunts, but when I say "stable" I mean it. You can literally paddle it standing up and it won't turn turtle on you.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Protagonist,
Thanks for the Kayak info.
You mentioned once, that your an engineer. The 2/2/14 Dilbert cartoon addresses that field. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1391783450.678231.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	205076
Perhaps this will tickle your funny bone.
Mockinbrd
Old 02-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Lincoln City , Oregon
Dun-Werkin'

I have 21 calendar days until I retire for the second time. We are having a moving sale today. We have a 10' x 10' storage area for the rest. If we sell the queen bed this week end we'll be in the Flying Cloud now out of storage and parked in the driveway.

March first we are off on our 1 year plus adventure. Dun-werkin'! Guess I will start a travel log thread. Photo is our new Airstream residence in Mulege' Baja California, Sur. We will spend April and May there, then travel in US until our return to Mexico in November.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1316.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	205077   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1405.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	205078  

Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #55

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
Protagonist,
Thanks for the Kayak info.
You mentioned once, that your an engineer. The 2/2/14 Dilbert cartoon addresses that field. Attachment 205076
Perhaps this will tickle your funny bone.
Mockinbrd
I prefer this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110218_strip.gif
Views:	86
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	205079  
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Pro,
How many days until you engineering "issues" are resolved? Wasn't the last count 442? So now, what? Sweatshop conditions for only 438 more days? In your office, Do you have a count-down clock like like SecDef Gates had?
Do all your friends call you Protagonist? Or is "Pro" the more familiar name. But that takes the Protagonist as hero to a different twist.
Mockinbrd