Old 12-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
I've been retired for a couple of years now. The only thing I miss are the paid vacations! Everything else is perfect.

There are no vacations in retirement/every day is vacation in retirement.

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Thanks everyone. All of the company loose ends seem to be taken care of so I am ready to hit the road.

Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
This Retirement Thing

Very informative thread, I retired from a major company in 2004 but pretty much worked as a consultant or operated a business full time since then. While I am in good health, the odometer just clicked over 65 and I am feeling the miles. I am thinking of retiring again soon,(or just quit working) but it seems to be a difficult decision to make. I read all of the posts with great interest and input from anyone that has successfully retired would be appreciated.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I did a year's worth of consulting/project management for what was left of the company I had retired from, but finally, as you said, I could feel the clock ticking.

While it was satisfying to be producing money, I finally decided that time with my family was a lot more fun than looking at a bank balance.

So I stopped, and never looked back again. It's a different life, one filled with a lot more fun than working, especially if like me, you have grandchildren.
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
Very informative thread, I retired from a major company in 2004 but pretty much worked as a consultant or operated a business full time since then. While I am in good health, the odometer just clicked over 65 and I am feeling the miles. I am thinking of retiring again soon,(or just quit working) but it seems to be a difficult decision to make. I read all of the posts with great interest and input from anyone that has successfully retired would be appreciated.
"Successfully retired" use your words ? Hmmm, well I suppose it comes down to individual personalities. For me, yes, I enjoyed my job immensely all the years I worked. It was fulfilling and I made a decent living. But....BUT.....all those years working, I was "planning".....and saving/investing for early retirement. I did. I was able to leave at 57 years old, and I had no problem at all never looking back. I have never even gone back to the physical building I worked in since I left. No looking back, no regrets. As I said to those I worked with when I left, I am leaving it in the capable hands of those younger than me. And sure enough, they, and the company are doing just fine without me and the rest of us old farts. Imagine that.
Many years ago, I watched my old Dad ( may he be resting in peace ) work his backside off until his health was so far gone he could do little when he finally did retire.
So now, I often say it out loud as sit outside my camper watching a sunset, "dad, you would have liked this...."

All I can say to you SStar is, "take the money and run".
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
Retire and enjoy...but it is different!

I pulled the pin two years ago after many years of public service followed by a couple has been an interesting transition. I must admit being somewhat defined by my career.....but I walked away and don't look back. Fortunately, the agency I worked for changed dramatically after 9/11 and I found it's new iteration did not really appeal much to nature nudged me out the door.

I remember watching my dad, a great American WWII vet who worked hard all his life, retire at 65 with visions of he and mom traveling around in a travel trailer....exploring this great and wonderful country. Two weeks after retiring, he dropped dead of a heart attack playing his first game of golf in retirement. I decided then and there not to follow that path. And I too think of him as we travel in our Safari and wish he could have experienced this blessing. I hope he sees it through our eyes.

So take advantage of your blessing and enjoy! The way things are going, we may be the last American generation to have the opportunity.
Tom and Robin
2007 Safari 25' FB Twin
"If you have to go through a minefield....follow somebody"
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Congrats ... thinking you will love it - just adjust expenditures accordingly!
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
We retired in 07 and my perspective is that if you were busy before retirement you will be busy after retirement. Doing different things but equally busy and wondering why you don't have time to do everything you "need" to do. My wife and I enjoy getting away in the A/S just so we can relax and not work on any projects, yard, cars, nothing except relaxing. We took up racing upon retirement and that keeps us busy as well as doing the things you want to do with civic organizations and in my case the Masonic Lodge. Some people do think that when you retire you sit on a porch and rock all day and nothing is farther from the case. Seems we had more time when working to do things but that's because priorities have changed. For sure if it doesn't get done today, there's tomorrow or the next day or whatever. We both non golfers and wouldn't have time for the sport if we wanted to.
Tater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
words of wisdom

Thanks for the many words of wisdom, it is sure beginning to look like I have all of the requirements in place, Supportive Wife, Grandkids, Airstream & TV, family to visit, many pending projects, many books to read, etc. I think I am just about there!
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:43 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member
2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
A lot of good wisdom here. 2014 will be our year to retire. I have to admit it is a bit scary in thinking of it. But we are working through the planning list. I've worked for the same company over 38 years and the past 15+ years have been overseas assignments with lots of time away from home. One thing we plan to do while we still have the health is to hook up to our AS and wear the tires out. Hopefully we will see all of you on the road or in a park :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
A retirement blog

I agree, getting a final paycheck is frightening. I, myself, am also looking to retire in 243 days, 7 hours...but who's counting? I like all the stories you guys share here. That has been missing from most of what I read on the web. I guess I will share my story about my journey to retirement and how we came to buy an AS....Of Dreams and Shiny Things&hellip; | A Voyage To Retirement

We bought our first AS, a 19' FC and we are very excited to get on the road with it. I have been pouring through the forum to learn about towing, provisioning, and maintenance. A terrific source of info. Thanks for sharing!

2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin
2014 Ford F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost w/ max towing pkg
oh, and Cleo the wonderdog
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I (like many of us) am a "serial retiree" -- 3 times now, and I continue to do an occasional week of work. I do consulting, so this isn't unusual. I can tell you from my own experience that it is more and more difficult to go to work for a week. The days when I'm "retired" fly by, and I enjoy the many things I love to do without worrying about going to work on Monday morning, or (worse) getting on an airplane to fly somewhere on Sunday to be at work on Monday. I'd read that you actually spend less money when you're not working, and I'm finding that to be somewhat true. The best part of all is that I am scheduling trips in my Airstream on a regular basis and looking forward to each and every one of them with anticipation. I think we Air Forum folk do have an advantage of the lure of the highway. Grass will not be growing on the asphalt or concrete highway....and unlike lots of SOB owners, we don't haul our rig to the lake, mountains, desert and let it sit for four months. We travel, we see, and we do.
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #41
1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Yes like you, I retired Dec 31/13. Just received my last pay check!!!Happy it's all over. Nows the time to have fun and enjoy life!!
It was a nice feeling to stay home watching out my window, warm and toasty while a freezing rain storm hit the Hamilton,ON areas.
I'm so glad I'm retired!!!Now the fun starts!!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #42
Rivet Master
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Popped smoke on 3 January 2014 and have been very busy with retirement. Realized about a week after retiring that my stress level meter sets near zero and the afternoon maps are very refreshing. Once spring sets in I'll be very busy with outside chores.

tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote