Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
The question for me is solely about whether or not manufacturers of SOB's and Airstreams are knowingly using materials that are harmful to their inhabitants.
As with a lot of things that tend to make us sick in this modern age of synthetic everything, it tends to be the cumulative effects that tend to be the problem. What I mean is, as an example, the cabinets are rated to give off a safe level over time, flooring gives of a safe level over time, foam, sealants, and on down the line. Tie that in with an air tight box and a very rapid delivery schedule and then you have an issue. Maybe there are and I am sure there are government ratings for all of this. Throw in a natural disaster of this magnatude, press that it's all the governments fault (huh ), global warming (where did that come from), bad local officials and the rush to provide shelter (200,000 + trailers) and the offgas becomes a big issue.

My big point is, for the expected time of 90 days (the original planned length of stay) these trailers were probably safe, the exposure would of been a non issue. 29+ months later, the length of exposure has been greater and you can be certian that, and I agree, there is a big problem.

One of and maybe the main reason I bought an Airstream was I tried to stay in an SOB (older unit) and my sinuses could not handle 3 days.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
So, when I pass away and my spirit goes to that big Airstream in the sky Sandi should just place my earthly remains in a SOB and bury it?

Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
In the press conference the director of the CDC, I assume she was he head spoke to the issue of getting people out before the hotter summer months she did not speak of global warming, someone else may have but I didn't hear the reference. She was very well spoken and had her information down. This all comes under the no good deed goes unpunished statement.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:53 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That is a shame that people are still living in slapped together trailers. I'm sure it's the same materials as other trailers are built of, but certainly not meant to be lived in. It's a shame people still don't have better options than to stay in a hastily slapped together tempoorary trailer, but I guess any roof over your head is better than none. Maybe this attention being given to the chemicals in them will push efforts to build permanent homes for people to move into. I don't buy into that thing about people just need to buck up and help themselves. I can't imagine what you're supposed to do if you have almost nothing (like the people you say prefer the FEMA trailers to the home they used to have), and then you lose everything.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
That is a shame that people are still living in slapped together trailers. I'm sure it's the same materials as other trailers are built of, but certainly not meant to be lived in. It's a shame people still don't have better options than to stay in a hastily slapped together tempoorary trailer, but I guess any roof over your head is better than none. Maybe this attention being given to the chemicals in them will push efforts to build permanent homes for people to move into. I don't buy into that thing about people just need to buck up and help themselves. I can't imagine what you're supposed to do if you have almost nothing (like the people you say prefer the FEMA trailers to the home they used to have), and then you lose everything.
I live in a fairly affluent subdivision, the last of the FEMA trailers were removed from the subdivision just a couple of months ago. Homes in the subdivision are still under going repairs, I still have some repairs to make to my home which are storm related. Part of the problem is lack of work force and higher cost. The neighbor hood association had a running count of FEMA trailers in the neighbor in the news letter since the storm. FEMA did mention the use of Katina Cottages which are more like a small shotgun house than a trailer. They were proposed after the storm but I don't think FEMA like the cost. The original regulation stated that 18 months after the event the trailers had to be taken out of service and removed, of course that keeps slipping. We have a lot less trailers now than we did. The trailers are ugly and unsafe in thunderstorms. Every time we have sever weather shelters are opened for the occupants of the trailers to go to. It is tough to lose your home. Things have improved and the rest of the country has stepped up and helped I hear great stories of great deeds every day and we are thankful.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I am wondering if this question is going to raise a "cloud", but I remember this being publicised maybe a year ago. Why is it again being dragged through the public mudhole? I would hope the answer is not purely political, and it was genuinely the resident's best interests that were the cause.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #21
_

. , .
warning labels? they already got PLENTY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
...put a simple warning label on it....
yep they use LOTS of warning labels already,

read 'em here and the cali/cancer label is in post 2...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...bel-18080.html

what has and is happening to the fema village people and those huts they were given to live in....

has got very little to do with rv's or rv travel and living....

as for the safety of newer a/s trailer products, we are gonna cover many of these issues eventually, here......

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...afe-39545.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
I do. Been there, down but not out. Just do something about it. It's not easy but can be done, no excuses. That mentality is what keeps so many people down, there have been thousands and thousands that were poor living in Louisiana who have rebounded and are doing good now, some of them now live in my area. You dishonor all of those that stood up from the wreckage and said okay now we start over and rebuild our lives and have succeeded and you do people a disservice when you tell them they can't possibly help themselves, that they need more help than others to achieve the same goals. I know I wouldn't like it if somone told me you can't do what these others have done, you can't stand on your own two feet and start over and maybe this time do even better. There is nothing wrong with giving people a hand up but hand outs damage the human spirit in the long run until eventually people will believe that they can't do anything for themselves, that they aren't capable of succeeding. Just my humble opinion though, others will surely disagree.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't mean to dishonor anyone who's made the crawl back up from the bottom, but I can also see that not everyone may be able to do it on their own. People all have different abilities. If you can just barely afford to eat, you may not be able to afford to rebuild a house. Building a home is trying enough for people with lots of money who are doing it on purpose, to suddenly find yourself with a wrecked home, no posessions, starting from scratch, I can see why I'm still hearing stories about entire neighborhoods abandoned.

I don't believe people who get a handout when they really need it will necessarily expect it from then on. When the going gets tough people band together and help each other. That's what being a community is about, and as Americans we should all feel part of the same community, and we should be disturbed to know people in our own country are suffering. It's only natural to want to help.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
I don't mean to dishonor anyone who's made the crawl back up from the bottom, but I can also see that not everyone may be able to do it on their own. People all have different abilities. If you can just barely afford to eat, you may not be able to afford to rebuild a house. Building a home is trying enough for people with lots of money who are doing it on purpose, to suddenly find yourself with a wrecked home, no posessions, starting from scratch, I can see why I'm still hearing stories about entire neighborhoods abandoned.

I don't believe people who get a handout when they really need it will necessarily expect it from then on. When the going gets tough people band together and help each other. That's what being a community is about, and as Americans we should all feel part of the same community, and we should be disturbed to know people in our own country are suffering. It's only natural to want to help.
We just disagree as to what helps. Helping each other should be a part of what makes us human. I have been remodeling houses for the poor through a local ministry/benevolent foundation and some people are helping us help themselves they just need a handup right now, while others we have been helping expect others to do for them, their human spirit and dignity have been mostly destroyed by the handouts. I'm all for helping our fellow man, helping them but not hindering or harming them in the longrun. I do respect your position and your compassion I just have a disagreement as to what actually helps and how to implement it.

Take care.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The use of formaldehyde-bearing materials is certainly nothing new in the construction of camping trailers but several questions need to be addressed: First, how long does it take for the "gassing" to become a non-issue - healthwise? Second, are there equally inexpensive materials that could replace formaldehyde bearing materials? Third - and with respect to our Airstreams - how do the materials used to build Airstreams compare to those materials used to build SOBs? This last question may be one for Jackson Center to respond to. I know that with my 2000 30' Excella I can hardly detect any formaldehyde odor when I first enter - even if it's been closed up for several weeks. Once we're set up and camping - air conditioning or not - the only odors come from normal camping smells - like fresh coffee brewing, sausages frying, soup or chili cooking - or a whiff of campfire smoke! The odor of formaldehyde doesn't have a chance! Truth is, a case could probably be made for inhaling too much campfire smoke - but I want to die happy!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
which sob

The CBS news made it sound as if these trailers were by a single manufacturer, does anyone know if that is true? When we hear 35 times the acceptable level of toxins many months after manufacture, that seems like particular trailers perhaps had extreme levels to begin with (they have been outgassing and vented at some level all this time right). So my question is who are the manufacturers, and although I have no interest in any SOB, which ones should we have our friends, ok associates, avoid.
Friends don't let friends buy SOBs.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3957
The CBS news made it sound as if these trailers were by a single manufacturer, does anyone know if that is true? When we hear 35 times the acceptable level of toxins many months after manufacture, that seems like particular trailers perhaps had extreme levels to begin with (they have been outgassing and vented at some level all this time right). So my question is who are the manufacturers, and although I have no interest in any SOB, which ones should we have our friends, ok associates, avoid.
Friends don't let friends buy SOBs.
I watched the news conference, the trailers were from various manufactures. The sample size was 519. Trailers in Louisiana and Mississippi were sampled.
Link to news conference:
FEMA, CDC Talk Trailer Safety - Video - WDSU New Orleans
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #28
_

. , .
as suggested already, these ARE NOT TYPICAL RVs regardless of maker...

there are other threads on this...

especially post #12, which if factually correct, is important.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ers-30693.html

and lots of background reading to understand why and how these units were developed.

don't be a fish and get hooked on a trotline here or go by any one news wire...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote