Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
2014 30' International

2014 30' International
Scarborough , Ontario
FB or RB?

We are launching onto the world of Airstreaming as we start our long-dreamed-of opportunity to travel throughout US and Canada as we are now retired.
We would very much appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the experience and wisdom of seasoned a/s owners in helping us to conclude on FB or RB. We are looking at 25 ft to 27 ft trailers, but first think we need to decide on which configuration we'd like.
Any thoughts shared on how others made this decision would be welcomed.

Elly and Gordon
Eheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Corsicana , Texas
FB for us. But the response to your question will be near 50-50 I bet. We like back-in camp spots on the perimeter of the park. So most of the time the best view and the most privacy will be out the rear windows. And most of your waking hours (in the camper) will be spent in the dinette area. So we like the dinette in the back.

The 25 and 27 models are great. You will enjoy your Airstream with whatever you choose.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
FB for us because we wanted the rear hatch ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
We love the rear twins and the forward gaucho. Pull through or back-in it the best for us.
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 27FB models have the bed in line with the frame while the 25FB models it is across the frame. Access to the front side of the bed in our International Serenity 25FB became an issue for me. I would awaken my wife trying to crab walk down the bed in the middle of the night for the restroom break. Sitting up in bed, I would hit my head on the overhead cabinet. Access to that same cabinet required climbing upon the mattress.

We initially decided to change to the Classic 27FB with twin beds, but decided we wanted to be able to sit and see the TV comfortably which was not possible from the dinette seats for us. So we jumped to the Classic model 30.

Get some time in these various models, like a few hours sitting in each model to see how the seating feels, how the space feels and if there are kids or pets, where they will hang out.

On this iPad, I can not cut and paste the link, so go to :

New Airstreams for Sale, Used Airstream Trailers for Sale, Airstream Mercedes Sprinter Interstate for Sale, Flying Cloud, Bambi, Classic, Sport

and select any Airstream model and scroll down on the left side of the page to the link to download the 2014 model year Airstream factory catalog.

Welcome to the forums. Lots of information here along with opinions.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
In a general way, most camp sites are laid out with the assumption of a trailer door near the front. For instance, when a concrete pad exists for a picnic table, it is usually oriented to the front. If any of that matters, it might be one reason to choose a certain config.

For us, we noticed a subtle difference in the floorplans between the 25FB and the 25RB. The FB had about 10" more space in the commode. You might think the floorplans would be the same with just moving the bedroom, but in fact they weren't. The added space in the commode was HIGHLY appreciated and we chose that.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Definitely FB for me. We love our 25 FB. All the state parks and places we go are back in spots so the view is out the back so we keep the curtains open by the dinette and enjoy the view. But you're going to hear others say the opposite. It's up to you.

It is true in the 25' that the bed is sideways so someone has to crawl over the other. That is a negative. But it's up to you. We love our 25FB.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
In back-in campsites, it is nice to have the bedroom as far from the road as possible due to noise. Almost every morning in almost every campground, you encounter the "first lighters" who are bound and determined to be underway before the dawn.

Many are stealthy but most are not. Some insist on running their prime movers (especially diesels) for at least 15 minutes before leaving. Others communicate loudly as they pack. Sometimes they, or their dogs, set off all the other dogs in the area.

It helps to wear earplugs and to be in the back of the trailer. Well, it helps a little...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
For us, it was a no brainer to buy the 27' FB. Most of the time spent in your trailer will probably be in the kitchen/living space. As stated earlier, most camp spots are back in. So the question for you is: As you sitting at your table, do you want to see the view of the campground or the back of your tow vehicle?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
For us, the deal breaker on the rear bedroom was the lounge area had but one large window, where the front bedroom lounge has two.

Of course, the bathroom in the rear bedroom is a bit roomier, but as the salesperson mentioned, "Where do you spend most of your time?"

And the rear bedroom has that dreaded suicide door.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We would have only the rear bed. Quiet sleeping area, privacy and sunscreens at front living area, larger bath, exterior door opens properly toward the front of the trailer, the rear mount bicycles don't block our view.

And if you use large RV resorts as we do often on our six month winter trips, you will probably be backed up to another big RV behind you, such as a big window fifth wheel looking down into your Airstream living room.

We also found the front dinette to be an easy conversion to recliners and folding tables.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5694.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	202656  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We avoided the 25FB for exactly the reasons stated above. The East/West configuration of that bed was sure to cause issues, so we went with the 27FB. We chose the FB configuration for reasons like those cited above - a chance to back the trailer into a spot with a beautiful view out the back and a dinette from which to enjoy it.

The 28 looked nice too, but we also preferred the dinette layout in the 27FB. Ironically, the 27FB and the 28 are almost the same length nose to tail, with the 27 coming in at 1" longer, so don't choose between these based on length.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
We also found the front dinette to be an easy conversion to recliners and folding tables.
===========
Nice job there. Did you post any details about what you did there? I wouldn't mind that setup myself. I worry a bit though about losing the original layout when it's time to sell or get a 27. I suppose it could all be put back.

Anyway, nice job.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
As someone already mentioned, the bathrooms are a bit different and the commode has more room around it in the rear bed models. That was important to us. A salesman for a different brand of trailer advised us to be sure to try a "sit test" in any model of trailer we were considering. This was important to us as we are wide body folk, and my husband is tall and found the extra knee room more comfortable. We have a 28 ft and it is really no longer than the 27.
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntex View Post
As someone already mentioned, the bathrooms are a bit different and the commode has more room around it in the rear bed models. That was important to us. A salesman for a different brand of trailer advised us to be sure to try a "sit test" in any model of trailer we were considering. This was important to us as we are wide body folk, and my husband is tall and found the extra knee room more comfortable. We have a 28 ft and it is really no longer than the 27.
"Sit Test"

Yeah, that's the first thing I did in every RV we looked at. Head to the commode, and sit with the door closed. I have two knee replacements and some other leg problems that prevent me from doing much knee bending. That ruled out about 90% of all RVs right there! When we tried the 25 raer bed Flying Cloud, I sat down and yelled out, "This is the one!" That extra space was completely significant.

BTW, our 2012 also included the higher ceramic commode. A real bonus too.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
===========
Nice job there. Did you post any details about what you did there? I wouldn't mind that setup myself. I worry a bit though about losing the original layout when it's time to sell or get a 27. I suppose it could all be put back.

Anyway, nice job.
Removed the original parts, stored at home, and took it to Jackson Center to install 30' recliner option folding table, center console, and recliners. They built the new storage compartment from Flying Cloud materials to match interior and look like a 25' FC factory option. If ever sold, would market it as is, a trailer for two, or with original configuration easily reinstalled.

A photo set showing start to finish.

25 ft Airstream Recliner Conversion - a set on Flickr

Old 12-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
For us, we noticed a subtle difference in the floorplans between the 25FB and the 25RB. The FB had about 10" more space in the commode. You might think the floorplans would be the same with just moving the bedroom, but in fact they weren't. The added space in the commode was HIGHLY appreciated and we chose that.
I'm confused - I thought the RB had the larger bathroom? One of the things you gain for the loss of the second side lounge window and the shorter lounge seating.

Another point of confusion - I'd think that you could do the Doug Recliner Conversion on a FB as easily as on a RB. Or is there something I'm missing there?

Tom
Old 12-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
...snip...
Another point of confusion - I'd think that you could do the Doug Recliner Conversion on a FB as easily as on a RB. Or is there something I'm missing there?

Tom
I talked with the service center about the same conversion in our 27FB. They feel without removing the while street side couch, it would be tight with 2 recliners. We're going with one on street side and a thinning out of the dining table.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
FB or RB?

I never noticed a difference in the WC size in the two trailers (27FB vs. 28), but, and this is a big butt, it never occurred to me to try a sit test. We'll just have to make do with what we got in the 27FB! Perhaps it will be an incentive to skinny up instead of widening out.

The recliner conversion is delightful, btw. It looks really great!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The problem with recliner conversion on FB is the furnace is located where you may want to attach the folding table to the wall, and it may be a tight fit for the street side recliner. Our 25 RB version has the furnace behind the kitchen sink.

I would think the furnace could be moved forward in the FB version. Probably an everyday task at Jackson Center or many Airstream renovators. Having lived in our trailer with recliners since October we would probably have it done if we had the FB.

It's certainly more comfortable than the bench seats if seating for only two inside works for you. We have a grandchild coming for a visit in May so I may get to sleep in my recliner (been practicing).

As for bathroom size the 25' RB is larger using the identical bath as the 30' FC and Int'l. Tip: If you don't want the bath door opening toward the living space, it takes about an hour to unscrew the hinge and catch from the jambs, turn it upside down, and screw them to the opposite sides.