Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Farm smell

We have recently bought at slightly used 2009 FC 20 it was stored in a barn over the last 3 years. We have removed all of the cushions and mattress. Washed them and have been airing them out for the last couple of weeks. Any recommendations to get ride of the farm smell?
BambiFC20LBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
A product named "Odoban" worked well in my house to rid the smell of smoke after a fire.... You spray it on carpet, soft goods, etc. The smells might be in the insulation, which would air out over time. Then you might have to embrace the barn :-)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Scatter a dozen or so dryer (fabreeze)sheets though out the trailer and close it up for a few days.It will take care of it.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Recommendation: Deep, deep cleaning. My trailer was also kept in a sort of barn. Had a bit of "farm" odor also. Starting deep cleaning and found all sorts of nasty stuff in hidden nooks and crannies. Rat poop and rat parts, dead snake, roach dropping and lots of unidentifiable mystery stuff. Cleaned it all out and the smells went away.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I agree with Michael, look for animal parts and droppings. You can't perfume it away. Also wash all surfaces, inside cabinets and all with damp cloths and a little soap, and wipe dry. Odors cling and some dirty little rat may have pee'd in the corner somewhere.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Consider an ozone generator.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Consider an ozone generator.

Perry
Ozone generators are dangerous, stay away from them.

"The Connecticut Department of Public Health (CT DPH) recommends that ozone generators not be used in the home. Ozone is a gas that can cause health problems, including respiratory tract irritation, breathing difficulty, asthma exacerbation, and chest pain.

Ozone is not effective at cleaning the air except at extremely high, unsafe levels, and then it is only partially effective. Devices that emit ozone at or below health standards set by the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) do not effectively remove particles such as dust and pollen from the air, nor do they kill bacteria, viruses, mold, or other biological contaminants, despite claims made by advertisers. Further, if bacteria and/or mold are imbedded inside of porous materials such as carpet fibers or furniture cushions, ozone at or below health standards will have no effect on these biological contaminants.
Ozone is not effective at removing odor, but instead, can deaden the sense of smell. Being unable to detect odor removes our natural warning property for exposure to high levels of ozone.

Besides being harmful to people and animals, ozone can also damage furnishings made from certain plastics and rubber materials."

http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/enviro...fact_sheet.pdf

I was able to get the smoke smell out of a used truck I bought years back by soaking the interior with Febreze and running the heater on high for a few hours. I would read the Febreze label as it may not like an exposed flame. It may also be as bad as Ozone who knows anymore.

I use Simple Green on my boat, wiping down the interior and the bilge. I also fill the head with fresh water and pour some in the bowl when I leave the boat, keeps the head fresh.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I was not suggesting snorting the stuff or long term use of it. Ozone in larger quanities is harmfull but it takes a lot of it and long term exposure. It can be very effective and chemically removes odors as opposed to covering them up. It can attack plastics and other organic materials but that is the whole reason for using it. I don't recommend using it long term on a daily basis.

Perry
Old 12-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
My trailer came with a distinct air of eau de dog and smoker. Got rid of both by removing all the old carpet and underlay, washing all surfaces with a good industrial cleaner, and getting rid of about half a dog worth of hair found under the front gaucho. Smell is gone, walls are brighter, and the cork floor is a lot nicer than ratty old carpet. Good luck.....Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I was not suggesting snorting the stuff or long term use of it. Ozone in larger quanities is harmfull but it takes a lot of it and long term exposure. It can be very effective and chemically removes odors as opposed to covering them up. It can attack plastics and other organic materials but that is the whole reason for using it. I don't recommend using it long term on a daily basis.

Perry
"Ozone is not effective at removing odor, but instead, can deaden the sense of smell. Being unable to detect odor removes our natural warning property for exposure to high levels of ozone."

Just passing on what The Connecticut Department of Public Health has to say. I looked into Ozone Generators back in 1990 to use on my boats and the conclusion was the same but not stated as forceful. Seems the years have brought in even sterner warnings. It has been known for many years the damaging effects that Ozone has on rubber and plastics which could cause expensive damaged to boats and trailers. One can choose to heed the warning or not makes no diffrence to me.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
All cleaning regimens should include forced-air ventilation, with fans blowing air in at one end and pulling air out at the other. If you replace the stinky air with clean air this way and the odor comes back, then you know the odor source is still there.

Also, do not overlook the holding tanks as a possible odor source, especially if seals are dry-rotted from disuse. Manure is manure, even if it came from humans and is held in a holding tank; the smell is still much the same. Filling the holding tanks with water and adding enzymes, giving the enzymes enough time to work, and then repeated flushing of the tanks would not be amiss.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
If it is just "musty" and not caused by animal droppings, a product called Safe T Air might work. We used in in the in laws basement.
It is available at Amazon.

1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Thanks for all the great input. Remarkable how informative the responses are. Our AS is very clean inside and we will focus on the cushions and mattresses
BambiFC20LBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
If stored in a barn the plywood floors would absorb some of the farm smell.It will dissipate in time.The dryer sheets will help neutralize it . I use fabreeze dryer sheets in collectible automobiles with.values exceeding $200,000.I will get them in at times that have been stored in basements or underground storage and they have a musty smell.After a few days with dryer sheets I open the windows and leave them down for a few days .the result is a clean smell not perfume as mentioned above .I put them in my Airstream when stored as they also deter mice.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't run the ozonater when you are in the trailer. It can't deaden your smell if you air out of the trailer prior to living in it again. Ozone will oxidize anything it touches as well as decontaminate and sanitize. This is something I consider a last resort. It will oxidize anything it touches. You don't want to live around the stuff.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
"Ozone is not effective at removing odor, but instead, can deaden the sense of smell. Being unable to detect odor removes our natural warning property for exposure to high levels of ozone."

Just passing on what The Connecticut Department of Public Health has to say. I looked into Ozone Generators back in 1990 to use on my boats and the conclusion was the same but not stated as forceful. Seems the years have brought in even sterner warnings. It has been known for many years the damaging effects that Ozone has on rubber and plastics which could cause expensive damaged to boats and trailers. One can choose to heed the warning or not makes no diffrence to me.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiFC20LBI View Post
We have recently bought at slightly used 2009 FC 20 it was stored in a barn over the last 3 years. We have removed all of the cushions and mattress. Washed them and have been airing them out for the last couple of weeks. Any recommendations to get ride of the farm smell?
I'd sell the farm or drive your trailer around with the top down. Just kidding of course but, I would think that if everything that can absorb smell were cleaned thouroghly and you used dryer sheets followed by a good airing out you should be good to go very soon.... What's wrong with farm smell anyway? Good luck!