Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rogers , Arkansas
family airstream

Hello to all ... I am not sure I am posting this in the right area ... but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have been looking at Airstreams for awhile now. I think we are convinced that this what we'd like to replace our "white box" trailer with. My biggest concern is the sleeping arrangements for a family of four. We have a max tow capacity of around 7000 lbs. So we are looking for something under 6000 lbs. empty.

What is the best Airstream out there for a family of four? We would like something that will be with us for many years to come. So, if it could work for both our little kids ... on into teenage years.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions ...
mtaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Go to Airstream of Arkansas. One of the 10 best Airstream dealers in the country. They'll show you through everything on their lot.

Ignore your tow vehicle dilemma as much as possible. You'll have the Airstream through 3 - 5 tow vehicles!

You sould also look for a forum rally in your area - a great place to see vintage and "soon to be vintage" Airstreams.

What's right for your family depends on how you use the camper. If it's just for weekends even a very small one could work especially if you spend most of your time outside. If you go out for weeks and you've had the joy of being trapped with two kids in a camper for 3 days of rain... even a 34 is tight!

I'll guess that you'll fall in love with the 27 FB.

Paula
Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Attend one of the WBCCI rallies in your area as a guest or just drive in for a Saturday and talk to families with a similar size and use pattern. They will show you what they have and how they use it. If that club does not have similar demographics, look to another club like a local Good Sam. If you are a go it alone over the road touring vacationer that hangs out in State parks, you will likely want to limit your size to the ones that pull easily and back into smaller campsites without a problem.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
This is something I've wondered about with airstreams. With everything else being so great about them compared to other trailers, why do they sleep less people? I've seen very few AS that sleep more than 4 and I know that most families in the 40s, 50s and even into the 60s had more than 2 kids. I've seen the bunk option in one on ebay,but that does not seem to be very common. I guess most people must have put extra kids on the floor.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
We bought an older model and change out the twin beds to bunks and a U shape dinette that turns into a bed also.. The front couch turns into a queen. So we can sleep 4 kids and 2 adults or 2 kids and 3 adults or 4 adults and 2 kids, if 2 of the adults really like each other. The dinette doesn't make a very big bed...

But yes, Airstream seems to build more for people without kids. Not sure why.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
LULING , Louisiana
We are doing the same as Jason. We bought Vintage and are currently on our second phase of our rebuild but are going to have 2 sets of bunks for our three kids. We went with a standard full in the front with no dinette at all. We can easily convert back to a dinette but we spend as little time in the camper as possible and use it mostly for sleeping.
It all depends on what you want to spend and if you plan on going with an older unit or not.
Aaron
aaumpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
long beach , California
Go silver!

We have a 25 foot Safari. My husband and I sleep in the rear and the younger daughter is on the dinette and the teen on the front sofa bed. I also camp with my friend and her two kids. We put the youngest two on the front bed. One in the dinette and one on the floor. Crowded, but it works out fine. WE love our Airstream, but still spend a lot of time outside when we camp. In fact we have only been in a full hook site once. The 25 foot may be the max on your tow capacity. Good luck with your search! Once you go silver, you'll never go back!
LBC Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Hello - we have a 22' Argosy Minuet, which is the narrower AS trailer. It has a side gaucho (couch) and a front dinette. Each of those makes into, essentially, a double bed. We have 2 boys. When we got the trailer, one boy was early teen, the other 3yrs younger. We did fine w/the 4 of us in those 2 bed areas, no one on the floor. Once the boys got a bit older, teens and up, they wanted to sleep in a tent outside the trailer, altho, if it rained heavily or was real cold, they came in and crowded up together in that dinette bed again. Any other activities, as other people have mentioned, are mostly done outside of trailer. I would say it's mostly what your comfort level is being in close quarters w/others. But you will also have to consider your comfort level re: towing a longer trailer if you want more space.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Lubbock , Texas
We were in the same situation and found a 1975 Excella 500 that is 31' and has the full rear bath and the twin beds. It also has the front "L" shaped couch that makes into a full size bed. I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'4" and we have slept in both the full bed and on the twins. We also have two kids that are currently 5 and 2, and this trailer is working great for us.

We have all the original papers that are weight specific for this trailer and it shows a tongue weight of about 600 lbs and trailer weight of about 6,000 lbs without our luggage and other items that you would throw in for a trip. One thing to remember is the weights shown on the tags are gross that the trailer chasssis can go up to, not necessarly the actual weight of the specific trailer.

We have pulled this trailer with a 2003 Chevrolet Suburban with the Z71 package without any problems at all. We live in Texas and have traveled to the Hill Country and through the New Mexico and Colorado mountains. One thing to remember about towing is it has alot to do with how you drive.

I hope this might help, this is a great forum and Airstreams are the only way to go.
JZiegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We have a 2005 Safari Bunkhouse which houses a family of 4 like yours. Lots of info can be found here. They stopped making bunkhouses in 2006; a total of 78 were made. A few used ones pop up in the classified section of Airforums. The bunkhouse is the only true 2 bedroom airstream built. We love ours.

Paul and Miriam
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
2001 31' Limited
1985 29' Sovereign
Jenison , Michigan
We are sleeping 8, that's eight, in a 28 AS. Our son and wife and 6 kids.....Mom and DAD on the front sofa/bed. I made bunks out of twins in the back for 4 kids, ranging from 4 to 12 in age. I made a small bed on the floor, between the bunks, for the 3 year old. The baby goes in a Port-a crib, up front. There is only one problem....another baby is on the way....OH #*><!......NO MORE ROOM!
62bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Sovereign Bunkhouse Sleeps 10

Finally took a pictures of my 7th bunk, the 5th in the rear bedroom. The pack and play fits conveniently between the two sets of bunks, and I have a set of bunks in the passageway across from the bathroom.

I built it out of 1/4" luan reinforced with 1 x 4 lumber. Main support is the other two bunk frames but anchored on either end to the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeps6.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	84696  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote