Old 02-24-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Factory Orders

New guy here. Wife and I went to the West Palm Beach RV show last week and we pretty much ended our year long search for the perfect RV when we saw the International CCD 28'. Love at first (second, third...sight).

Problem - the one example apparently sold the last day of the show. That leaves us with ordering one.

So (finally) my question: How long does a factory order take?

Mike Hassall

PS -- Anybody have a dealer recommendation for Florida? If I have to order, then I have some flexibility at to with whom.

n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums!

Visit our church on the web!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

Welcome to the forum!
There is the #2 dealer in the US in the Tampa Area. Bate's RV. They do stock a whole bunch of units. As with any dealer, get it in writing and watch your wallet

Check this link for Dealers in FL.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks for the welcome. Looks like a pretty deluxe neighborhood...
Old 02-24-2004, 07:00 PM   #5
Cartoon Character
2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Cool Howdy n2916s ...

Welcome to the Forum, Mike. (n2916s? Any relation to thx1138?)

When I was looking for my 34 Classic, I called Airstream and they checked their Dealer Inventory ... what was available was way too far away .. so we ordered one.

At that time (October) the wait was at least 3 months.

Personally, I would look beyond Bates ... perhaps some of the Florida members can make a dealer recommendation for you.
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Welcome Mike

I would check to see what the dealers have in the order pipeline. Big dealers will have units on order for their inventory scheduled out months ahead. That's how I got mine from the factory and the wait was six weeks. Decided on the 30' Classic and lucy enough, one was scheduled for delivery the next month.

I really know what you mean when you say you fell in love at first sight at the RV show. I attended the show last month with no intention of buying, just checking uints out. But, like you, it took just one look at the Classic and now it's mine! It's an awesome feeling!

Good Luck!
"It's the journey."

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Welcome to the forum. I think that you will really enjoy the 28' CCD. I have one and love it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #8
Arr, we captain our ship!
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
What do/will you tow it with?
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Hi, Mike -

I ordered a new 30' Classic from the factory last week that I understand is scheduled for production the last week of April. If I get it in early May, that's ok with me.

The CCD's may take somewhat longer from what I hear due to the demand. One thing about a factory order is you can be sure to get it with the options that you want.

I don't know about CCD's, but I found almost a 10% price difference on Classics between the several dealers I got prices from, ending up with the dealer that seems to have the best combination of price, service and reasonably convenient location.

flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:01 AM   #10
Arr, we captain our ship!
Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Here are several things I've learned recently...

1) A dealer can change an AS "in-process" coach order by a certain cut-off date.

Say you want a 22' CCD with the entertainment and awning packages but can't find a TT configured this way on any lot. If you can find a dealer with a 22' CCD order that is "in-process", he/she can change one of his/her coach orders to add your accessories if it is done by a certain date (the dealer will call AS to determine the date).

2) If you commit to buy before the dealer takes delivery of a coach from AS, you can negotiate a better price. I've found, on a 22' CCD, that I can get close to $2K shaved off their best "on-lot" offer if I am willing to take a coach yet to be delivered. I'm sure this has to do with their flooring costs, etc. Once a coach hits their lot, the cost goes up. In this case, it is always close to $2,000.

3) I spoke to AS on 2/24/04 and they report that it is running 10 - 12 weeks to produce a 22' CCD from date of order. By using the methods, above, you can reduce that to 4 - 6 weeks depending on when your dealer ordered and still get the options you desire while getting a better price...

Food for thought...

Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:34 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Hi Mike,

We were at the show also (South Florida Fairgrounds is only 1.95 miles from our house).

For only 2k more than the 28 CCD, the 30 Classic is the one that we really liked. The floorplan on the 28 CCD is nice but we found the L-Sofa to be a little uncomfortable and I'm really not sold on the black mica that covers a lot of the walls. And then there's that cheesy outdoor step.

I found the sofa in the 30 Classic to be very comfortable and the interior seems so much easier on the eyes and the bathroom has a wonderful wide open feel to it. My wife thought the materials used in the upholstery on the 30 Classic leaned a little towards the tastes of the "old and feeble". I wonder if they have some fabrics that look a little less dated?

Still, for only two thousand dollars difference, I'd take the Classic.
Stephen & Miriam
2005 Bambi Safari 19 LS with Sofa
2006 Harley-Davidson Road King Custom
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:32 AM   #12
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
X-ray is right, however a few things:

1) You'd have to find a dealer that had on in the que (let alone one at the right spot in the que).

2) I have found dealers not as willing to negotiate as much on an ordered coach. This is not the case everywhere, however, the iron is hot right now and all the dealers know this. If it's on their lot, they have more reason to deal. Same holds true with ordered units.

So althogh Xray is right, there are some variables to consider.

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 07:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Thanks all for the advice and help.

Now for your questions --

1. N2916S is the tail number of my other aluminum fantasy, my spanking old 1967 Cessna 150. Sadly, I will be selling it soon as it won't get the use it needs once we are on the road...

2. Towing vehicle -- now that we know roughly what we'll be towing, we will head off (on the advice of our long-term mechanic) and find a Silverado 2500HD pickup. Big gas or diesel depends on relative cost and availability.

Again, thanks all. Next step, talk to the bank...............