Old 07-31-2003, 09:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Mounting a generator on the A frame is very risky.

We have seen and repaired several such trailers, where the A frame snapped off. Makes the trailer difficult to tow that way.

The additional weight, especially when a heavy duty tow vehicle is used, flexes considerably, each time a bump is hit. That in time, causes the steel in the A frame to crystalize, and then snap.

This also punishes the front of the trailer, especially the hold down plate. It too, in time, will fail.

Andy

Old 07-31-2003, 09:12 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Andy -

Thanks for your input, so, if your tow vehicle is an SUV, where would you put your smelly generator?

Old 07-31-2003, 09:15 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sounds to me like you store it in your car/truck and place it on the ground connected to the trailer power line when needed.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:21 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Well that's the fallback position, get a 30 gallon 'tupperware' container to try to keep the fumes at bay. I was hoping to find an 'outdoor' solution that would be safe and not hurt the trailer.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by darkStar
Well that's the fallback position, get a 30 gallon 'tupperware' container to try to keep the fumes at bay. I was hoping to find an 'outdoor' solution that would be safe and not hurt the trailer.
I'm concidering a big roof rack for the gen set to ride on as well as our bikes. My problem is the truck is already 6ft tall and it is my DD. I do on occasion go places that I may need to go in a parking deck. Lowest roof rack I have found in the style I like is going to add 8 inches of overall hight.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:18 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Mounting a generator on the A frame is very risky.
Andy,

I know you speak from the rich experience of seeing almost every form of trailer abuse possible (I appreciate your sharing that experience). I'd like to get your opinion about my specific situation. Do you think that carrying the Honda 1000 (under 30 lbs. wet) on the top of the battery box of my 2003 Safari may actually fatigue the frame and lead to its failure? Could the load capacity margin on this key area of the trailer be so narrow?

Thanks for your time,

Mike
Old 07-31-2003, 12:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by mcostanzo

Andy,

I know you speak from the rich experience of seeing almost every form of trailer abuse possible (I appreciate your sharing that experience). I'd like to get your opinion about my specific situation. Do you think that carrying the Honda 1000 (under 30 lbs. wet) on the top of the battery box of my 2003 Safari may actually fatigue the frame and lead to its failure? Could the load capacity margin on this key area of the trailer be so narrow?

Thanks for your time,

Mike
Dual or single batteries? The weight your talking about is inline with the weight of a second battery and Airstream is equiping may new units with two batteries on the tounge. Single battery and your proably in line with what A/S feels is reasonable.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Carrying a small (1000) watt generator on the front of an Airstream trailer that has a "tube" A-frame is OK, provided that it has not rusted "internally."

It's the internal part that causes the problem. We dare not assume, that the interior of a tube type A-frame cannot rust. They do, everyday.

Carrying a large load is not.

Carrying additional weight on any "C" channel A-frame is not. It is especially not recommended on the old trailers that have rust inside the frame, and/or if a heavy duty tow vehicle is used, let alone both.

Andy
Old 07-31-2003, 08:56 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Not to beat a dead horse . . .

Quote:
Carrying a small (1000) watt generator on the front of an Airstream trailer that has a "tube" A-frame is OK, provided that it has not rusted "internally."
Quote:
It's the internal part that causes the problem. We dare not assume, that the interior of a tube type A-frame cannot rust. They do, everyday.
OK, I think I get it now. Rust and excessive weight is the main issue and I'm not being stupid for carrying the little Honda on the battery box of my new and presumably rust-free '03 Safari.

I did look at the A frame and it is a fully boxed rectangular section frame . . . maybe that's what Andy means by a tube frame. When I read tube, I think round . . . but I'm a bike geek. Whatever.

Interestingly, the battery box is not attached directly to the A frame, rather it is welded to two hefty cross-members that are in turn welded to the frame.

Cheers!

Mike