Old 03-23-2004, 12:36 PM   #1
2004 25' Safari
Wyckoff , New Jersey
Smile Extended Warranty

I am currently buying a new Safari 25SS. The dealer, Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ, has offered an extended warranty or service agreement. This runs concurrently with the factory warranty and continues for an additonal five years for a total of seven years. The cost for the Platinum Coverage is a whopping $2,000! It covers chassis frame, suspension, brakes, seals and gaskets, water heater, waste system, fresh water system, AC, range and oven, L.P. gas system, heating system, refrigeration, CO and smoke detectors, jack system, TV, etc.
Is this in any way worth the cost. The dealer is telling me that the refrigerator in my unit is worth $5,800. replacement, so if the frig goes the contract will pay for itself.
Any comment from anyone would be appreciated.

tlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I think with a bit of research you will find a refer will run less than $1500.00 installed.

That being said, it will also come with a 3 year? warranty from Dometic that will cover replacement should it fail as ling as you have the yearly service performed on it. Cleaned and adjusted. Dometic will also offer you a longer term by mail once you register it with them.

In my opinion the add on warranties are a profit center for the dealer and if you read the fine print the level of maintenance documentation you have to provide and the hoops you have to jump through to get a repair covered are not worth it.

Take the Warranty money and invest it in a decent yield security and withdraw it when you need it. You will come out ahead in my estimation.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
From personal experience I have found that the extended warranties are not worth the price. Once the exclusions are brought into play very little is covered. The extended warranty companies try very hard not to pay for any repairs.

$2000 would cover a lot of out of pocket repairs. By the way a "new" and not "repaired" refer is about $1500.00. I have never seen one for more than maybe $1800.00 for a top of the line Dometic.

Good luck. Congratulations on your new trailer.
LLB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
Extended Warranty

I Just purchased a trailer from the same dealer and I got the same lines. I am going to cancel the extended warrany this week. Lesson learned. By the way my warranty cost $2800.
dkekrksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I very much agree with what has already been said here. Take the money and run. $5800 for a fridge? I have a Safari C and unless they have gold plated shelves....they are telling an untruth. $1500 is more in the ballpark.

BTW, my parents 1982 SOB just had the fridge fail just this past summer (for the first time in over 20 years now). Now it is not as nice as the one in the Safari C, but it is the exact same size as the one in the Bambi. It cost $400 to overhaul it. Works as good as new now and you can't tell it ever had a problem!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote