Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
? Extended Stay Boulder CO RV Park

Hi, everyone. Thanks for stopping in.

I'm looking for a place to park near Boulder, CO full-time, from August thru June of 2017. The only RV park right in town has a 30 day limit. I'm looking at Longmont, possibly a little further north than that. I have a big dog! I'm a graduate student in a clinical program that keeps me really busy from 9-5pm 4 days/week so I can't get too far from Boulder for the sake of my dog's well-being.

Any thoughts? Do you happen to have a suggestion? Maybe encouragement or caution? It's all good. Thanks again.
_ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Question, will you be wintering in Boulder in the trailer.

Avg Jan weather:
High 46
Low 22
Temp 34
Snowfall 11"

In addition to the research your doing for extended parking You'll want info of protecting your pipes, heating and condensation.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That RV park might give you an exception, if you very politely explained your situation.

It would be worth a try.

Good luck!

Maggie
Old 06-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Might also change your thread title. For now it reads "help finding full time" and might not get the attention of needs.

Maybe something like..."wintering in a Boulder Colorado RV park" of "extended stay in a Boulder CO RV park"

That will get more attention from the locals. And there are lots of Airstreamers in CO.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a great idea, and I can do that for you, if you like.

Let me know.

Maggie
Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
That is a great idea, Hittenstiehl! I would love if you could change the title to "extended stay in a Boulder CO RV park," Maggie... thanks you two!!

In regards to over-wintering I've got some plans (and alternatives to said plans... so you know, Plan A, B, and C!). I had been living in Boulder up until March when I had to come back to Newfoundland to help care for my father (stupid cancer), so I'm aware of the weather. If I can live in crappy cabins in the middle of a Newfoundland winter you bet I can figure out an Airstream in bone-dry CO. I also accept that despite my best efforts my pipes will likely freeze at least once before I figure my system out. I'm banking on a PEX plumbing situation with integrated furnace at appropriate BTUs so that it cuts in regularly enough... plus winter skirting.... plus hay bales in triple plastic... plus possibly a heater down below... extra insulation around holding tanks. We'll see. I don't have a trailer to trick out yet. (:
Old 06-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
You may have a tough time in Boulder. Closest 'rv' park would B&B Mobile and RV park north of Erie, CO. They might have a pad site and worth checking. To the south is Prospect RV Park in Wheat Ridge and Deluxe RV Park in Arvada. The Boulder County park does enforce their 14 day limit within a calendar year at the Boulder County Fairgrounds. But those sites are W/E and you would need to move to dump. Water is off in the winter. Dump is on the fairgrounds.

All that being said setting aside any snow we do get several periods each winter where it may go a couple of weeks with temps below zero. Since you don't have a trailer yet, and not to rain on the parade, I would find an apartment rather than trying to tough it out.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just gotta say it . . .

No Airstream trailer is designed to have its plumbing system function during a Colorado winter.

Period.

No amount of add-ons like hay bales, heaters, etc. etc. will make the effort cost-effective or pleasant at all.

Time to pick another route IMO.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
That's enough posts about Boulder winter, thanks y'all. I'm Canadian, remember? And I have lived in CO --- Boulder is in a valley and the winter months are way warmer with less snow than higher up in the mountains. It's not the Yukon or Labrador. Why am I defending myself?

Seriously though, thanks for the tips about camping spots. I hope more folks will comment on the 'where' of this situation, rather than the 'how'. I've got this. Cheers!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Maybe there is a member here who has courtesey parking. My daught just moved back, she would have allowed u to use her place.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
I frequent Boulder on business and the closest I have found is Dakota Ridge in Golden. There is a company in town called, "Rent Boulder" that has gobs of rental units for students. Maybe contact them to inquire if they might have a place you could park your trailer. Not likely with all the zoning issues but just a thought.

Good luck.
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
Hey Minipad!! Thanks! Yeah zoning in Boulder is a nightmare... my best find so far has been a guy in Longmont who's willing to rent me his driveway with access to fenced in yard for $425-500 (dependent on my electricity usage). He's been doing month-to-month so I might offer $400 for 10 months (I'm planning on installing a solar system so my usage won't be insane, excepting the first couple months where I need AC for my nordic dog).
Old 06-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #13
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have used the following in the fall for three consecutive months for the last three years prior to this past fall. If you are interested for this coming fall you had better call now because the are usually full. I imagine they keep a waiting list. Good friendly people with good upkeep. Convenient services close by.
Barr Lake Campground
Sites: 118
Brighton, Colorado
Phone: (303) 659-6180
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:32 PM   #14
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
thanks, guskmg!!! It's a little farther out than I'm hoping for, but will keep it in mind... I'm calling this next week crunch time in finding a spot. So far the private driveway in Longmont is looking pretty good---as long as the neighbours aren't complaining. (: Did Barr Lake give you a decent monthly rate??
Old 06-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You might look into "Mobile Home Parks" near Longmont, CO. I have a friend who rents a space for his 5th Wheeler. Not sure what the name is. But there are 3 different ones in Longmont. Countrywood has 20 winterized sites. Don't have any more info.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
ALLY. All three times we were there to help sick and dying relatives so we just went a week at a time. I never did ask the monthly rate, but it must be pretty reasonable as they are always fun. A lot of working folks.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #17
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
TG Twinkie: thanks! I can't quite figure out if I would be allowed to park at a mobile home site or not---given that boulder county's zoning laws are strict, and a mobile site would be wary of breaking any rules (it'd get shut down pretty quick). Countrywood is a last resort option for me---their reviews are not pleasant and neither is their customer service. Despite their website saying exactly otherwise, they do not offer seasonal discounts and want $600/month + utilities. I think they get business 'cause there's often nowhere else to go!!

guskmg: cool. I've give a call anyway. I need options and I'm becoming increasingly stubborn about giving up on this idea. (: I enjoy RV parks for the most part and appreciate that you had a good time there.