Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Everybody go fill up.

I just heard on the news tonight gas is going up to $3 a gallon nationwide this weekend. Just made a trip to the station and filled up our exploder. Our tv has been parked since the last camping trip 3 weeks ago. We leave on vacation in 2 weeks just my luck the prices go up.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Be glad sthat you don't live in California, $3.00 is a bargin, try a bargin at $3.45 and I only get 6 miles to the gallon
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Why are prices so different regionally (i.e., state-to-state)? Over the July 4th weekend, I noticed that gas prices in Massachusetts hovered around $2.95/gal whereas in Maine the gas price averaged $2.75.

Three months ago, it was the complete opposite, i.e., prices in Massachusetts were $.20 lower than prices in Maine! It's another conspiracy!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
$3 bucks a gallon, maybe you could send me 30 gals for my burban.
"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Killo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Why are prices so different regionally (i.e., state-to-state)? Over the July 4th weekend, I noticed that gas prices in Massachusetts hovered around $2.95/gal whereas in Maine the gas price averaged $2.75.

Three months ago, it was the complete opposite, i.e., prices in Massachusetts were $.20 lower than prices in Maine! It's another conspiracy!
Part of it has to do with local laws regarding content of fuel, part of it has to do with local demand, and part of it has to do with what the refinery is set up to provide at any given time.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:53 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Part of it has to do with local laws regarding content of fuel, part of it has to do with local demand, and part of it has to do with what the refinery is set up to provide at any given time.
...and part of it has to do with the individual state's fuel tax rate. Some states have relaxed them temporarily and some have put them back into effect and some never adjusted them at all.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
CT above $3.00......

Our town's at $3.15 already .....I can't believe it when I see people in line at the pumps at that price....a short drive over the Mass line and we can find $2.93...feel bad for the people in the central part of the state.
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
When I drove cross-country last week, the diesel prices were all over the place! It started in FL at $2.97 kept going lower across the Gulf states until I hit TX at a low of $2.72 and escalated from there to a high of $3.15 in OR. The average in the NW is currently around $3.05.

I'm still mystified by the lack of a differential between gas and diesel prices! Used to be that diesel was always at least $.20 lower than regular. Now, depending on where you are, it is equal to regular or in a lot of places, higher than premium. Considering it takes way less refining to make, the oil profiteers are really hitting it on this one!!!!!

Count me in for the 'Conspiracy Theory'!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
The switchover to ULSD from LSD has to be partly responsible for diesel prices in area other than California. Refiners switching production have to completely clean their lines before thay can make the switch. Retailers have to do the same thing. Otherwise, the fuel will be contaminated and sellable as ULSD with fines up to $32,000/day!!!

The rest of it has to fall in to the 'Conspiracy Theory' category.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Conspiracey theory? Well the way fuel goes up .50 per gal and then drops .20 before going up again is kinda fishy.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Well, you live in California. It really is a conspiracy as to why CA insists only only sell fuel that they produce in their state. If definitely makes sure that the refiners don't go over capacity (and usually stay just a tad under capacity once you add in refineries that are down for maintenance) to keep those prices nice and high.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Well, you live in California. It really is a conspiracy as to why CA insists only only sell fuel that they produce in their state. If definitely makes sure that the refiners don't go over capacity (and usually stay just a tad under capacity once you add in refineries that are down for maintenance) to keep those prices nice and high.
Sounds like a conspiracy script out of Hollywood for Arnold to recite.
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

You're right, I should have said 90% of California gasoline is produced in California. The 10% is imported. That is because California refineries are always at capacity.

Sources:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/gasoline_q-and-a.html
"Where does our oil and gasoline come from?

California consumes substantial amounts of gasoline - about 16 billion gallons per year! Crude oil is made into gasoline, and the crude comes from within-state oil wells (39.46%), Alaska (20.16%) and foreign sources (40.39%).

Most (about 90%) of our gasoline is refined in-state, but additional quantities of gasoline and blending components are imported because refining capacity cannot keep pace with growing demand.

California is also isolated from other refining centers in the United States. Because most of California is designated by the federal government as an air quality "non-attainment" area, our gasoline must meet stringent air quality requirements to burn cleanly to protect public health and the environment."

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2006publica...0-2006-006.PDF
Corresponding graph on page 11: "In the last two decades, California refineries have been running increasingly closer
to capacity levels. Figure 6 shows the total crude oil throughput refining capacity and
the throughput oil inputs to the refinery by area. "

Truth is stranger than fiction.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I also wondered about the rise in diesel prices, and axed an old friend about it. "Well, its the awl bidniz, as JR Ewing used to say," ....
I lived in Europe for a few years, and always thought that the day was coming when we in the USA would have to pay more for fuel. I never dreamed that it would be so soon.

I usually look at this web site, it's about as good as the folks buying and reporting the prices.
--GasBuddy.com - Find cheap gas prices in your city
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
The switchover to ULSD from LSD has to be partly responsible for diesel prices in area other than California. Refiners switching production have to completely clean their lines before thay can make the switch. Retailers have to do the same thing. Otherwise, the fuel will be contaminated and sellable as ULSD with fines up to $32,000/day!!!

The rest of it has to fall in to the 'Conspiracy Theory' category.
BTW, the last two times I filled up with desiel I noticed a warning lable on the pump that said it was illegal to pump that desiel (500 ppm sulfur content) into 2007 and later model vehicles and doing so could damage the engine. What are people with those vehicles supposed to do until the new fuel is available? Assuming of course there is something new coming or is this the LSD not the ULSD. I am new to desiels so I don't know if 500 PPM is LSD or ULSD. Also, does this mean that starting this fall or at some other point in the future we will only be able to buy the more expensive ULSD?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #16
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
This may help ease the pain:
Adjusted for inflation, we paid near the same for gas in 1980. The annual average inflation adjusted price in 1980 was $2.94 (in 2006 dollars)
HHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Why Ca. gas costs more

In Ca. the legislature, a bunch of elected folks decided they know more about gas composition than any one else. So here the legislature mandates by passage of law what our fuel blend is. Oddly enough this botique blend costs more since its only for one state. It has also caused many car fires as the blend is corosive to older fuel lines. These brianiacs in our capitol ignored that warning from the "evil" oil co's along with the one about gas costing more.

"We're from the government and we're here to help."

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
This may help ease the pain:
Adjusted for inflation, we paid near the same for gas in 1980. The annual average inflation adjusted price in 1980 was $2.94 (in 2006 dollars)
It helps a lot when I pay $95 for 3/4 tank of gas...Like I did today.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I doubt you will save enough today to pay for filling up tomorrow In fact some pundits are claiming the spike caused by people trying to beat the gas price hike will actually cause a increase in demand an push the price up faster. My beast takes about $120 on a fill at $3 a gallon of diesel. And to add insult to injury I have a larger tank waiting to go in. It costs what it costs. I suspect if prices get too high I will park the truck. Want to do some interesting reading do a search on "Peak Oil" and "After Peak Oil". Interesting reading. I will let you draw your own conclusions. Right now about 95% of my driving costs are reimbursed by my company, as long as that is the status quo I will continue to drive.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I doubt you will save enough today to pay for filling up tomorrow In fact some pundits are claiming the spike caused by people trying to beat the gas price hike will actually cause a increase in demand an push the price up faster. My beast takes about $120 on a fill at $3 a gallon of diesel. And to add insult to injury I have a larger tank waiting to go in. It costs what it costs. I suspect if prices get too high I will park the truck. Want to do some interesting reading do a search on "Peak Oil" and "After Peak Oil". Interesting reading. I will let you draw your own conclusions. Right now about 95% of my driving costs are reimbursed by my company, as long as that is the status quo I will continue to drive.

Aaron
Aaron, is this the reading you were referring to?
www.hubbertpeak.com