Old 07-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
The switchover to ULSD from LSD has to be partly responsible for diesel prices in area other than California. Refiners switching production have to completely clean their lines before thay can make the switch. Retailers have to do the same thing. Otherwise, the fuel will be contaminated and sellable as ULSD with fines up to $32,000/day!!!

The rest of it has to fall in to the 'Conspiracy Theory' category.
BTW, the last two times I filled up with desiel I noticed a warning lable on the pump that said it was illegal to pump that desiel (500 ppm sulfur content) into 2007 and later model vehicles and doing so could damage the engine. What are people with those vehicles supposed to do until the new fuel is available? Assuming of course there is something new coming or is this the LSD not the ULSD. I am new to desiels so I don't know if 500 PPM is LSD or ULSD. Also, does this mean that starting this fall or at some other point in the future we will only be able to buy the more expensive ULSD?

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
This may help ease the pain:
Adjusted for inflation, we paid near the same for gas in 1980. The annual average inflation adjusted price in 1980 was $2.94 (in 2006 dollars)

Old 07-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Why Ca. gas costs more

In Ca. the legislature, a bunch of elected folks decided they know more about gas composition than any one else. So here the legislature mandates by passage of law what our fuel blend is. Oddly enough this botique blend costs more since its only for one state. It has also caused many car fires as the blend is corosive to older fuel lines. These brianiacs in our capitol ignored that warning from the "evil" oil co's along with the one about gas costing more.

"We're from the government and we're here to help."

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
This may help ease the pain:
Adjusted for inflation, we paid near the same for gas in 1980. The annual average inflation adjusted price in 1980 was $2.94 (in 2006 dollars)
It helps a lot when I pay $95 for 3/4 tank of gas...Like I did today.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I doubt you will save enough today to pay for filling up tomorrow In fact some pundits are claiming the spike caused by people trying to beat the gas price hike will actually cause a increase in demand an push the price up faster. My beast takes about $120 on a fill at $3 a gallon of diesel. And to add insult to injury I have a larger tank waiting to go in. It costs what it costs. I suspect if prices get too high I will park the truck. Want to do some interesting reading do a search on "Peak Oil" and "After Peak Oil". Interesting reading. I will let you draw your own conclusions. Right now about 95% of my driving costs are reimbursed by my company, as long as that is the status quo I will continue to drive.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I doubt you will save enough today to pay for filling up tomorrow In fact some pundits are claiming the spike caused by people trying to beat the gas price hike will actually cause a increase in demand an push the price up faster. My beast takes about $120 on a fill at $3 a gallon of diesel. And to add insult to injury I have a larger tank waiting to go in. It costs what it costs. I suspect if prices get too high I will park the truck. Want to do some interesting reading do a search on "Peak Oil" and "After Peak Oil". Interesting reading. I will let you draw your own conclusions. Right now about 95% of my driving costs are reimbursed by my company, as long as that is the status quo I will continue to drive.

Aaron
Aaron, is this the reading you were referring to?
www.hubbertpeak.com
Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Aaron, is this the reading you were referring to?
www.hubbertpeak.com
That is a part of it. Also stuff by Knustler, and quite a few others. My take on it is similar to my take on Y2K. You have the end of the world as we know it prophesies, and the stick your head in the sand nothing is going to happen crowd. I personally think it will fall somewhere inbetween. The human race is resilent (but stubborn) and can adapt but will they want to? There is another report that I can't find the link to, that was written in the mid 90's and many of the items they predicted are coming true, the unstable oil market, the lack of insurance for waterside dwellings due to the increase in storms and probable melting of the the glaciers. It painted a couple of pictures, one grim and one a good bit better. Again I think the truth will lie somewhere in the middle.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote