Old 11-17-2002, 08:53 AM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
"Please enlighten me, those of you in cold country as to your experiences and why you would not airstream in winter. "

my two major reasons are:

1 salt

2 no driving morons eating lunch, talking on cell phones, personal grooming and doing just about anything but paying attention the first 3 good snowfalls.

driving on snow covered roads with a heavy trailer is not hard, you MUST have good tires and have your brakes adjusted properly. also you cannot have any kind of sway control engaged.
if you don't, the last thing you'll see before you crash is the trailer passing you.

however, with all of that I am thinking about de-winterizing the trailer for deer hunting next weekend as it will be in the mid 40's.

john

Old 11-17-2002, 08:57 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Jackson Center Tour

Quote:
Originally posted by rtaylor537

I'd like to make this suggestion to the company. Anyone have suggestions on how to do this ?

RTaylor
Try suggestions@airstream.com

Regards,

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:02 AM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Re: Jackson Center Tour

Quote:
Originally posted by rtaylor537
We have been on two AS factory tours. They were both excellent but the second was even more informative than the first.
RTaylor
I was quite astounded that the trailer skins come out as nice as they do with all the equipment and people buzzing around the units. At the end of the line they put what looks like small sticky note tabs on any skin imperfection. They really didn't tell us how these problems were taken care of. Our tour guide told us that these are bears to fix.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 11-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
This coming week maybe.....

If Henschen calls and tells me my axles are ready, I'll be heading up there later on this coming week, possibly Friday, I hope. If not, the week after.

There is only one solution to this winter camping dilemma, FLORIDA!!!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 11:07 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Re: Factory Tour

Quote:
Originally posted by rcaldwel
The factory tour is a must. When I took my '01 Bambi there in May to have some work done on it, I stayed on the grounds and during my stay took the tour.
The tour is very informative. You can get a greater appreciation for your airstream as well as the build process. They start from ground zero and you follow the manufacturing process until the unit is out the door. Our tour took almost two hours. I was keenly interested in the Bambi and the tour guide was very supportive. He allowed me to talk to employees throughout the plant if they were working on a Bambi. It was great. you can see the unit being put together and see each step and how it all works. I would strongly suggest it is a must see.

By the way, living in Florida we don't winterize or put our trailers to sleep for the winter. I have never lived in cold weather but I am told that these trailers are all weather units. So, my question is , why put your trailer away during the winter months. I would think it would be adventurous to camp in the snow or what every. At least your camping in your airstream. I am sure there are a number of reasons people don't but I would think if these units are designed for it, why not. I couldn't think of not using my airstream for several months. Please enlighten me, those of you in cold country as to your experiences and why you would not airstream in winter.

thanks,

Bob Caldwell
01 Bambi
Quote:
A 30 lb. tank of propane lasts 1.5 days at -10C/14F. Been there done that.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Smile Honor system

Quote:
Unless things have changed in the last year, they don't collect. The sign is there stating $10 a day parking. Even an old rusty collection box with a padlock which hasn't been touched in years. It was a running joke with those of us staying there and the Service Center folks that A/S really doesn't police their camping area for collection of camping fees. BTW the sites are in a wheel and spoke
It's known as an Honor System..

The only reason why I didn't "have to"pay was, because I was there for services on my rig
ciao
Old 11-17-2002, 09:57 PM   #21

Fenton , Missouri
Well I was there for service also. Three days. It's just a matter of fact not attempting to scam the folks there. We just asked the question inside and were told that no one checks the box or even attempts to collect. As long as the camping is for folks there for service or even those staying overnight for the tour, the camping is really a courtesy. So if you drop your $$ in that rusty old box, its enriching someone else's pockets, but not A/S.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 11-17-2002, 11:04 PM   #22
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Why put your trailer away during the winter months? I dont know, I try to camp one weekend a month! Its a nice thing to wake up on Christmas morning find it snowed all night!!!!!