Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Etiquette on gathering info for history

Wanting some input as I'd like to write a brief history of our travel trailer. The former owner wrote his name and address in the owner's manual. He is now deceased, but I understand his spouse is still living, as well as a number of children. What is your opinion on contacting members of the family for info on the travel trailer? I know it was a part of WBCCI rallies as stickers are a part of the decor. In my mind there's a fine line between Airstream's history and owners' lives. Some people will be concerned about privacy; others don't mind sharing info.
I'd like to know original decor and some info on original owners, as well as any highlights.
What do you think? Also, is it kosher to ask forum members if they knew this family?
Thanks,
Nancy
gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:37 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think it is. Most airstreams are beloved members of the familiy, and people who are in the club are, in my experience, like one big family as well. The original owners family might have pictures they could share, or stories to tell. I'd say be brave and ask, and as long as youre polite, the worst they can do is say no.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
IMHO I agree with Stephanne.

If you are into the allure of the history and not just a travel trailer to rebuild - then there is a lot more meaning to it. You have 31 years of travel history that could possibly emerge. What stories, adventure could be lurking behind those aluminum walls???? (Besides the dust and grime)

Sort of like those people who find old posters behind their great great great aunts farm house walls and they just hit the "motherload".

There could be diamonds dropped in behind the gouchos, in the drains, or a secret compartment specially built for valuables - oooh makes me want to do another strip down of the MoonBeam.

The only thing we found was a very precious childs craft of "I love you daddy" sprinkled with gold sparkles. Some old trailer park key fob from Oregon - but no names. The WBCCI# number we have was last registered in 1985 and a name and city only - but after a bit of research we came to a dead end (one day we will pick up the research again when we have more time. So just in case this was the original number we decided to re-register it - as there were no signs of previous numbers on the trailer.

Good luck with your search - one point though - it might help if you joined the WBCCI if you are not already members - if for nothing else the privilage to research "fellow" WBCCI members.

(Not snuffy here - but just expressing what our attitude was and still is when we entered the Airstream "life" on Friday 13th this past February.Regardless much negative that is sometimes apparent throughout various circles about the WBCCI - the first thing we wanted to do was to join and preserve "MoonBeams" history.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Go for it. I like to rebuild old hot rods, I have been semi successful getting ahold of the original builders. Most of them are pretty happy to hear that their old creation is getting a new lease on life. As long as you don't get into the personal aspects of their lives I have never run into anyone that objected, most are more than willing to share what they did, like pictures of it as I got it and as it is restored.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I'm off and running

Thank you so much! Will get my letters to the family ready, and see what happens. We found an unused baby's diaper (very small), so that was a tiny clue that probably grandchildren went camping at some time!

We thought we were just going to remove current flooring and put down new, but that has resulted in removing a lot of stuff and becoming intimately acquainted with the innards of Magnolia! (Finding more stuff to be fixed as we to along.)

We are in contact with the local WBCCI unit, and will be sending in papers as soon as we get them. So will be following up that lead as well. Good reminder.

Thanks for you encouragement. Will let you know how I do. If you have any more ideas, keep them coming.
Nancy
Old 11-29-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Smile Honor Society

Personnally, I think the original owners would be honored to share their history with you. I know I would! I think you've received some good advise above. Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I think it would be helpful if you sent a self addressed stamped envelope along with your letter. Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Ideas for contact

Good idea, and think I'll send my e-mail address, too.