Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Ernesto's Aftermath

Hurricane/TS/TD Ernesto's Over but not forgotten. We're in Rehoboth, DE at Holly Lake Campground, and share these pics with you. Toyota totalled; Airstream needs de-bumping, but nobody's hurt!!

Anybody else out there get hit by this "sleeper" storm?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_090206_009.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	25490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_090206_002.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	25491  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_090206_006.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	25492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_090206_008.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	25493  

AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
That's terrible

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for sharing.At least nobody was hurt.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Santa Catalina Island , California
Truly sorry for your loss. A real blessing no one was injured. Our best to your beautiful Airstream for a speedy recovery!!
AIR #14503
"We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. . . Only when this is recognized can the blown-in-the-glass bum relax and go along with it." ~John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley, in Search of America
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ouch!

I'm sorry to see the damage on your A/S and tow vehicle. Wow, I'd thought it was dying out as it left Virginia... Of course Deleware is only 100 or so miles north. Glad you weren't hurt! What year is your A/S?

I'm in Virginia Beach and stay at a campground that will flood in heavy rains. I had decided to pull off and park behind our business before it got really bad. I thought Friday morning would be fine, but woke up very very early to realize that the electricity was out and there were three inches of water on the ground. I'd already hooked up the 'burb but had left the water, sewer and electric in place - planning for a nice morning shower and coffee before moving. Needless to say I got out, disconnected everything - changed cloths cause I was soaked to the skin - and hauled butt!

As I left I noticed several tree limbs down, one only feet from my Suburban, and I saw one more come down as I was driving out. I thought, OK, good. Now as long as Princess Anne Road isn't flooded....

Hehe... nine places had high water on the road, one I didn't see until I sent a 10 ft high bow wave off my front tires! OHNO Did the rest of the trip at 25 mph. Finally reached a point where I was within a block of good drainage and 4 lane, and there was Dominion Va. Power blocking the highway trying to fix live wires. Several trucks ahead decided to turn around, but I didn't even think that was an option - so waited about 15 minutes and they cleared the highway.

I got to work without too much more hassle, but heard from some camping buddies that there had been quite a bit of wind damage and three or four other SOB's were badly messed up. I can't believe that so many weekend campers leave their awnings up! I'll check back today, but I think the worst of the damage was really inland rather than right on the coast.

Fellow Virginians, all y'all OK? let us know.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ernesto turned out to be a non-event down here, I had a few leaves and twigs come off our trees, but it got stronger when it got back out into the Atlantic. It is still dumping tons of rain in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states as we speak. Flooding seems to be the current crisis with this storm, although one man was killed here. Hopefully the Toyota was insured, and the Airstream doesn't look too bad. Like you said, at least no one there was hurt, or worse.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
AirConditioner- Sorry to see the damage to your Airstream and vehicle, and glad no one was hurt. Those pictures made me cringe. This storm caught us by surprise. The sustained winds weren't much, but the gusts seemed intense. I don't believe I had as many limbs and trees come down, and my yard furniture so rearranged, during the last hurricane. I live in the woods a few miles from where you were over near Coolspring, and have a cleared area where the Bambi is parked, but the Trade Wind is under the trees next to the house. Fortunately, neither sustained any damage.

While I was out checking on the trailers during the peak of the storm, I witnessed a tree come down on one of my metal shipping containers. No damage there either. Today I noticed a pine tree leaning ever so slightly towards where I park the Bambi. I'll be sharpening the chain on my chainsaw tomorrow morning.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Oh, NO!

Very sorry your vehicles were damaged/lost... but I join in the chorus and say, "glad you and family are alright!"

We were living in "aluminum" in 1983 during a big earthquake in California... aluminum was okay... people okay... town crumpled like dominoes. I was thankful for our trailer (a SOB at the time, but metal ). We had water, power, refrig, etc. A couple of broken eggs and a beer on the floor that flew out of the refrigerator. Life went on.

I think I will opt for earthquakes any day!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Sorry for your loss AirConditioner. We survived here in the Fredericksburg, VA area OK. Ernesto's eye passed just East of us. Lots of heavy rain, flooding in the streams and downed trees. We lost power for about 45 minutes. Thank God for no losses to our property.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
Bellevue , Full-timing
Ouch, sorry for your loss, but at least everyone is OK. Look at the brightside, not everyone as a cool story to go with the "beauty marks" on their AS!
asta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Ernesto turned out to be a non-event down here, I had a few leaves and twigs come off our trees, but it got stronger when it got back out into the Atlantic. It is still dumping tons of rain in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states as we speak. Flooding seems to be the current crisis with this storm, although one man was killed here. Hopefully the Toyota was insured, and the Airstream doesn't look too bad. Like you said, at least no one there was hurt, or worse.
its claimed someone up here, too. although the rain hasn't amounted to much, the seas off the coast here are pretty rough. An old friend of mine was thrown from his boat when it capsized, and was killed yesterday.
we weren't real close or anything...lost touch a few years ago, but I still feel pretty sick about it. He was 37.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Hurricaines, no mater what category, can be devestating. Many don't truly understand the emotional roller coaster of hurricaine survival unless they have suffered the effects of one firsthand. Being born and raised in South Florida, I can sympathize. Air conditioner, I'm thankful that you and your family are still healthy, but sorry to hear about your AS and TV. I wish for you a speedy settlement and repair/replacement!
Chuck, even though you hadn't been in touch with your friend recently it doesn't lessen the impact of his death. It starts to hit home how precariously we are suspended on that thread between life and death, no matter how young.