Old 05-02-2003, 02:51 PM   #1

Talking Encounter with IFO (Identified Flying Objects)

Plonk !!!!!!

Did that happen to you?

Up to now, we had (that we know of) 2 small birds killed themselves, crashing in our trailers:

_ we found a bluebird, dead after colliding with our #1 (1971) parked at home
_ we saw a sparrow-like bird fly smack on the side of our #2 (1974) parked in the street in NJ.

I'm afraid it's #3 turn now. Yesterday was the most interesting and scary experience to date:

#3 (1990) is temporary parked in the field, awaiting construction of his concrete pad.
Nice natural & wild setting: surrounded by small trees.... and plenty of birds.

I was inside a building, about 100' from the trailer. When I heard a loud "plonk", the sound of something hitting aluminium.

Then, Mike yelled: "Come out, I cannot believe it !!!! A big hawk chased a woodpecker into..... ..... the box of the truck"

That was a relief: that bird missed the trailer by about 10'. It made a nice splash and a big cloud of feathers. It turned out to be a bobwhite (bad flyers, and bigger than a pigeon).

I then wondered what would have happened if it had hit the trailer, and worse, a window. And even worse scenario: the hawk could have hit a window.

After losing a window on #1 because of a ball thrown by a kid, we thing about that from time to time.

Did anybody had any encounter with identified flying objects ?

Old 05-02-2003, 05:17 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When we bought the Caravel the POs showed us a huge dent on their big airstream that came from a dove flying into it. She said she wouldn't have believed it if she hadn't been sitting there and saw it happen. Amazing. Maybe our big shiny toys are too shiny for their own good, but then if they can't see the box truck either...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
How sad...

The thing I found interesting though was this:

"(1990) is temporary parked in the field, awaiting construction of his concrete pad."

It has a sex??? Does it have a name?? Not that I disagree, I totally agree, hell I do it too!

How did you tell it was a he Airstream vs. a she Airstream?

Eric
Old 05-03-2003, 01:04 AM   #4
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Quote:
How did you tell it was a he Airstream vs. a she Airstream?
Apparently you didn't see the photo of Mike making the
genital determination. I suspect they bought this one
as a stud so they can mate it with their other two Airstreams
and start their own Airstream hatchery.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2003, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
you didn't see the photo of Mike making the
genital determination
That must be some kind of X-rated picture: I have been trying to download it for the last half-hour. Does not want to come up.
Quote:
It has a sex??? Does it have a name??
No and Yes. Sort of.

The "he" was actually a Frenchification, or a slip of the mother tongue, as "it" and "he" are the same in French.

Our trailer are known by the cute pet names of: #1, #2 and #3.

We had to give them name. It simplifies communication, like: "did you remember to close the windows in #1 ?" or "I think I left my hat in #3".
Old 05-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #6

It took me best part of the day to be able to download pictures from the forum.

So, I wondered what pix you were referring to. I thought it was the one below.

As far as breeding is concerned, it is obvious that it is too late: Mike is checking the umbilical cord.

And what about "checking the genitals" ??? Come on now !!!! Everybody knows that the genitals are located closer to the tail.

(PIX: picking up #3 at Airstream dealer, where the customer is encouraged to use the shop's tools and do the job himself. At the speed this nice "ancient" was working, we would still be there ....!!!) [I mean: the "ancient" with the back towards the camera]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nc_mike 2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	2048  
Old 05-03-2003, 06:58 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
While driving out west I was following my friend and he was pulling his airstream when BAM a bird hit his CB antena and then right into the front window smashing it. It was his second window of the trip the first was broken by someone at Cabela's. They tried to break in but the dogs scared them off. Thank god for the dogs.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:35 AM   #8
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
The Answer!

I think I can explain why these birds are taking their own lives on our campers. Hostess is running a series of adds about wildlife mistaking signs and spare tires for their confectionary delights. If we follow their line of logic to its obvious conclusion!!! These animals see a giant silver TWINKIE! My kids have always called it the twinkie. We name our campers. Our 4 door GMC tow vehicle is named Big Gim (GM). A side note, the night after we bought our AS, my wife had a nightmare. One of our favorite places to go is the TR North unit. Buffalo run free and usually are in the campsite every morning. She dreamt that the buffalo did not like their reflections in our AS.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:31 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: The Answer!

Quote:
Originally posted by trumpwer
These animals see a giant silver TWINKIE!
I hear ya...I see it the same way!

Eric
Old 05-04-2003, 10:38 AM   #10

When asked at a toll booth, we always refer to it as "the silver suppository behind"
Old 05-04-2003, 11:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Encounter with IFO (Identified Flying Objects)

In 1998 following the WBCCI International Rally in Boise, Idaho, I witnessed the aftermath of an accident similar to that referenced by Trumpwer. While on a side-trip to Yellowstone, I was on a Gray Line Tour when our guide made an announcement that there would be a brief delay for a "Bison Jam". When we finally arrived at the site of the disruption, there was a gleaming classic Airstream motorhome with a huge dent in the font end. A large male bison evidently mistook his reflection for another male and charged the motorhome. The result was a huge dent and some mangled cooling system components - - the Airstream had to be towed from the scene to West Yellowstone, MT. The garage doing the towing was next to the Gray Line station, and the talk of the neighborhood upon our return was that the bison had done something in the neighborhood of $10,000 in damage to the motorhome. The bison evidently ambled away with little more than a few bruises and a couple of scratches.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 06:26 PM   #12

Good things we don't have bisons in the East.

OK, there are not exactly flying, but..... neither are those:

After towing AS for a total of about 100,000 miles, we have found a more acurate way to tell if they have a very low ground clearance.

What to do:

Park a 1971 or similar, on a parking lot, in the boondocks, by an overgrown field, and, in the Spring, listen for "Clonk!!!! Clonk!!!!" coming from underneath the trailer.

What was it????

The sound of rabbits whacking their poor little heads while running under the trailer.

Mike says they are playing ??????

As we have to make sure we don't step on rabbits around here: I have a better idea of what they are really doing under there.