Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Elevators for motor homes?

Hello to all by Airstream friends. I trust you all had a happy holiday. My Father who just turned 84 has purchased a holiday Rambler motorhome. I would not want to put the fear of God into anyone so I'll tell you now he will not be driving it. Hiring a professional driver to transport it between Oregon and Arizona. I must say it is the ultimate in opulence. But to qualify, way over-the-top for my taste. There is one fly in his appointment that I would like to look into. My mother who is 82 cannot navigate steps. Which as we all know one must do to get into any vehicle of that sort. So I'm trying to be the dutiful son and look into the possibility of getting them some sort of elevator platform that could be used to get mom into the motor home. Any information that you may have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again as always, and here is a wish to all of a happy and healthful New Year.
SaabLover

SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #2

2006 22' International CCD
St Petersburg , Florida
SaabLover

I would first inquire of the coach manufacturer as they may have a solution that would work with your coach.

Also, with the number of mobility scooters in use out there, there are likely companies who specialize in equipment to stow them on motor coaches and get the occupants on-board for RVs.

Goodluck!
ASBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would pursue that idea...a mobility company that can build a lift into the access for the motorhome. There are many modified trucks, vans and such out there, so you can be sure that someone can accomodate that need.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We had a friend in our local that was disabled. His son built an elevator from a jack usually used for the front of the trailer. A square tube welded to the bottom shaft plugged into a 2" receiver that he cut in next to the door of the Airstream trailer. The platform was attached to the jack body and rose up when the electric jack was turned on. It was fairly small and his wife took it out of the receiver and stored it in the trunk of the car when not in use. Unfortunately Bob died this year.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A wheelchair van conversion company should be able to build something that will do nicely. I envision a platform at the top to step (or wheel) onto. Push a button, and the lift will come up to the top. Push another button, and the door opens, push a third button and the lift will go down to ground level.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
lifts

Hello,
most places that sell electric wheel chairs have some one to make wheel chair elevators..also give your local motor vechile office a call they should know who install ramps or lifts.( called tommy lifts)
Bob
Old 12-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here are some pictures of a MH with a llifting device for a wheel chair. The MH is listed on Fred's Airstream Archives site.
Fred's Airstream Archives - 1983 Airstream Motorhome Class A 310 (G)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I think I remember a segment on the RV Today show that had an example of a lift built into a motorhome. If you did a search on past episodes you might be able to dig up the tape and/or the manufacturer of that lift.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote