Old 01-14-2004, 12:23 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This person must be the first generation to walk on twos!

It must be nice living in never never land, perhaps someone will come and visit that person someday!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Last one got no bids, this one already has one for $8,000.00
The last one ended early, I figured he reached a deal off line with someone. Look at the price for these new, repair money invested, and popularity. Even a salvage title won't deter people if the price is right and they are done correctly.

John

Old 01-14-2004, 08:28 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Notice this time, the seller is smart enough to make the bidders list private! I commented on some thread not too long ago, how useful it is to the bidders to know who is bidding, how many bids from each person, etc. Sometimes, there are say, 12 bids showing, but only maybe 3 bidders.
So I'm not too sure the seller doesn't read this forum! Or somebody clued him in...

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-14-2004, 08:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Honestly if you have the room and time and are restoring another coach it's not a bad deal at all. You could score nearly new appliances ALL in one shot. A Airstream is a Airstream. It would not be hard to take a large part of the interrior of that coach and put it into a 70's body. Then sell the remainder.

I bet you could complete refurb a old unit and then sell the remains and do it for far less cash outlay then just buying a peice here and there till your done. Not counting labor even paying $8k I bet you could come out around $4k after parting. There are PLENTY of us who have spent $8k redoing older coaches.

I'm looking for a old coach as we speak. I have run accross a few cosmetically challanged SOB's that have good appliances like Reefer, water heater and A/C that I could buy the whole coach for less that what it is going to cost me to get 2 of the above new and sometimes used. I need everything unless I can be content with a Park model. It's disposing of the remains that hold me back.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster
It's disposing of the remains that hold me back.
59T,

A match comes to mind My inlaws used to have a Coachmen 29' TT, I now have a 28' flat bed trailer, all it took was some inattention on someones part and up it went by the time the fire department got there, all they could do was spray down the ground to keep the ground fire from spreading. Not much left at all. I have also seen people take trailers both TT an Mobile Homes down to the bare chassis, selling the steel for scrap and the axles and hitches. I guess the wood either gets burned or goes to the dump. If you live in a neighborhood though, the neighbors might not appreciate your recyling efforts

Aaron
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by wahoonc

59T,

A match comes to mind My inlaws used to have a Coachmen 29' TT, I now have a 28' flat bed trailer, all it took was some inattention on someones part and up it went by the time the fire department got there, all they could do was spray down the ground to keep the ground fire from spreading. Not much left at all. I have also seen people take trailers both TT an Mobile Homes down to the bare chassis, selling the steel for scrap and the axles and hitches. I guess the wood either gets burned or goes to the dump. If you live in a neighborhood though, the neighbors might not appreciate your recyling efforts

Aaron
Well see sir I was cleaning the counters in the RV with gasoline and the $9.99 Harbofreight grinder I was using to get the tuff stuff off caught the gas on fire. I tried the get the full 5 gallon gas can out the door with me but I spilled it all over from front to rear and about 4ft up all the walls. LOL

My neighbors already worry about me. Something like that would not surprise them. Let me put it this way. In the last 6 years I have owned 10 vehicles and one of them I only paid $1 for and I still have it and drive it.

I got my eye on #11 right now. It's a 1987 Deisel Suburban that has been in a wreck and is missing a few parts like the transmission and all the sheetmetal from the doors forward. It has a good motor. I know where enough parts are that I can put it back on the road for around $500 INCLUDING the purchace of the truck Take about 2 weeks. I'm thinking about getting this as my DD. After I cut the roof off from behind the back doors and do some other things to lighten it I figure I can get about 400lb off it. If I'm lucky I may score a fiberglass front end and loos another 300lb. I figure if I can get the weght down to around 4500lb I can get about 22mpg out of it.

We won't even get into the body of our 59 sitting on our front lawn for a month while my wife and I replaced the floor.

I just might be the type of guy that causes HOA's. LOL.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #21
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by 59toaster

Well see sir I was cleaning the counters in the RV with gasoline and the $9.99 Harbofreight grinder I was using to get the tuff stuff off caught the gas on fire. I tried the get the full 5 gallon gas can out the door with me but I spilled it all over from front to rear and about 4ft up all the walls. LOL

That's GREAT, toaster!

You don't even need to be that creative tho... I remember back in the early '80s when I was camping in Borrego Springs, in San Diego County when someone with a large class-A SOB motorhome was frying bacon or sausage or something, and the grease caught fire. Rather than smothering the fire with a lid, the cook carried the burning skillet through the coach, spilling out flaming grease as he/she went. The coach was on the ground in less than five minutes. It was a spectacular blaze, visible for miles in the desert!

"Golly Mr. Insurance Adjuster... I was just frying up breakfast when..."

Roger
Old 01-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Guys,
the SOB we had that burned up, was caused by someone cutting the hinges off the fridge with a grinder, they nicked one of the LP lines behind the fridge...tanks were disconected but there was still LP in the line. The person that did it got out with his life but that was about it, the whole trailer was gone in less than 15 minutes. Fire Department is only about 1.5 miles away, and they responded with in 6 minutes. Those SOB's are nothing but chip board and tinfoil, they burn fast!

Aaron
Old 01-30-2004, 07:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Take thre...

Here we go again...ebay listing

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Did I ever mention how suspicious it makes me when the seller provides for hidden bidder identities?? I hate it, because it's clearly a way for them to make sure previous bidders and eBay watchdogs can't contact a bidder who may not realize they're bidding on junk.

If it's for a Monet painting and you want to let museums and millionaires bid discreetly, fine. But banged up trailers? It smells bad to me.
Brad
Old 01-30-2004, 07:38 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Yeah,

Really fishey
Old 01-30-2004, 07:45 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Take a look at the picture of the roadside, that is a pretty hefty wrinkle over the wheel well. I would bet on sheared rivets or bent frames. Wonder why we aren't seeing pictures of the inside rear corner damage? Also the interior shot pointing towards the back, looks like something is out of square? Just a few observations.

Aaron
Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Angry Same one? Or another?

This listing looks exactly like the first one he listed at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=2451753980
So either he is selling it again, or can't be bothered with taking new pictures.
In fact, if you go to the first listing, please note this statement:
This item or one like it has been relisted.

Think he'll hit the reserve price this time?

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-31-2004, 12:05 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

I LOVe this thread! It's better than a soap opera... it's the same trailer!
What a mystery..... NOT!