Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2003, 12:28 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Good point.

Bottom line is, if it is in your region, and you think you might like it, go see it, physically examine it. Problem is, these Airstreams inevitably turn out to be 12 hours away from you. But you never know.

Rightly or wrongly, seller ratings play a huge part in my ebay decision-making process.

I have another idea: Create an ebay-like forum but for trading. Example: You have a 34 footer but want a 25' instead and would be willing to trade it for one plus a tow vehicle. This way it's just one step instead of (1) selling it and (2) buying one, both aggravating. Oh wait, that would be barter, and barter doesn't work really well. It died out as an institution, what 3,000 years ago?
But, think of all the possibilities. Instantly search the database for matches. Program it to notify if you a match occurs.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:02 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

A Forum for trading ??

Ipso,

I have obtained and held on to the web URLS of www.peoplethattrade.com....
peoplethatbuy.com ... and peoplethatsell.com ..... maybe its time to do something with them??

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 08:14 AM   #23
Vroom

Mahone Bay
Ebay Strategy

Re: Last 20 second strategy:
If you see something you want and place a bid, all you are doing is drawing attention to the item as people look at items with the most bids. I have never won anything when I place an early bid. There is always someone who will go an extra buck. If you place a high proxy bid and meet the reserve, you can be stuck with a higher amount than bidding the last 20 seconds. For my first, last and final bid, I determine my absolute top I will go and usually get the item for a dollar over what it was last listed at. The best strategy is to what items for the real deal in a price, hit the watch button only, to add it to your watching list and do not bein a hurry. Another one will always come along at the right price. I buy and sell thousands of items this way and I get great deals. I can then relist them and double to triple my money in the same market.

Ebay has really cracked down on people with double accounts and try to bid up items. I hace friends who have beencaught biddign up items that way and they all get kicked off eBay perminently! That is not to say that a friend could not place a bid once in a while to push something up. This I know happens.

Sincerely,
Richard
Richard Vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 10:55 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

airstreamcaravel,

Interesting. Here is what you can do:

Point this web address to a message board, run by software much like this one. Just a regular Internet board but all the forums on it are dedicated to trading. You can start with A/S, SOBs, towing vehicles and of course cars. Then add other categories.

EZboard ( www.ezboard.com ) offers free message boards, the downside is, you get annoying ads. You can get rid of them by paying them. Ultimately, you can get a dedicated server for this trading message board. There are lots of services which will host it for you.

Richard Vroom,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I only dealt with ebay once and it was a good experience. I got a car engine. In all honesty, I could have gotten the same deal elsewhere.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:57 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Having bought my latest Airstream thru EBay, I can say you have to use common sense and do your homework.

The person selling my trailer was accessable and had posted their home phone number in the ad, encouraging people to call with questions. I spoke with the seller for twenty minutes and it was obvious he knew about Airstreams. It turned out he had done business with a person I knew thru my local WBCCI chapter, so I verified his story and got good reviews on the seller.

In addition, he sent me a couple dozen photos that were not on EBay and they showed the trailer in great detail - blemishes and all. It seemed to me that he didn't want there to be any surprises for the buyers.

Finally, I checked out his feedback - not just the number, but I went and read the individual entries from previous buyers - it was full of comments such as "better than advertised" and "just as promised". I felt pretty comfortable when I left home for the 600 mile drive to his house.

When I arrived, it was "better than advertised" and I happily towed my new Airstream home. It's been eight months and I have had no regrets.

On the flipside, I did come in contact with sellers that seemed to know very little about the item they were selling and could not answer basic questions - some admitted they were selling it for a friend of had just bought it to resell. I crossed those folks off my list and didn't look back.

You have to take your time, ask your questions and don't let the excitement of the ticking clock force you into making a decision before you are comfortable with your purchase.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:07 PM   #26

Quote:
don't let the excitement of the ticking clock force you into making a decision ....
It's called gambling.

No, I am far from a moralizer. But I just hate to lose money. And, as far as I am concerned, gambling is the best way to do that.

We have bought only 3 things on ebay: all "buy now". No excitement, no regrets.

By the way, I just got a decent deal on a stainless steel sink for our #3. The original whatever metal was chipped and I hate this stuff.

I had found on line only 2 sinks of the same size (32 X 20). One was about $80, the other over $200.

The ones on ebay were new from Service Supply Distribution, a mostly plumbing supply outfit. I paid $57 delivered.

What I liked: the sink came damaged from UPS. They shipped us a replacement right away, we got it before they picked up the first one.

I don't think I will buy any other way on ebay.

We looked to buy Mike his Nikon 5700 (with the money I saved when horsetrading on our #3), and bought it from a reputable store. All the adds I checked on ebay were either much higher or scams. (I spent over a month studying that)
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 01:45 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

"It's called gambling."

Yes, indeed. I found a vehicle service manual on ebay, initially at a good price. I remembered the "20 second" rule and didn't bid. But it rose, and rose again. Now a few hours before the auction ends, the price is same as elsewhere. It's no longer a good deal. So I am likely going to get it elsewhere.

Ebay sometimes gets you good deals, but in my limited experience with it, it's usually the market price you pay. Unless the item is something nobody else wants. But Airstreams are desirable vs. SOBs. Nice 1 ton towing vehicles are desirable too, it is doubtful you can get a good price on these vs. say a newspaper.

But if you are looking for something totally eccentric, say some antique clock (for an antique A/S), or a book, or whatever, then I think it certainly constitutes a great way of finding these rare items.

But the above is not a certainty either, that's why you keep going back and looking. The other exciting thing is, they constantly add new items.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I agree with HP9K

My buying experiences with ebay have been the same. For the most part very good. They parallel the my other buying experiences. Some good and some not so good. My latest ebay auction purchase is not working out. That is the used mirrors I bought are rusted beyond a usable limit. The seller wants me to soak the rusted part in WD 40 for a couple of days. If that does not work he has already told me he will refund my money. BTW his feedback # is in triple didgets, with no negatives.

Not sure I see the diff between ebay and face to face. One can lie either way. Or one can be honorable either way. My next vehicle purchase will be on ebay, and I plan on spending about $20K for an SUV.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-11-2003, 11:27 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Not sure I see the diff between ebay and face to face. One can lie either way. Or one can be honorable either way.

A seller who got lots of positive reviews is actually safer than an unknown face to face, IMO.

If you sell on ebay, you have to behave really nicely, or someone can really impact your business through lots and lots of negative feedback. One comment reachable by 100,000 people? Paradigm shift?
Old 05-12-2003, 07:09 AM   #30
79 SLY

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
We buy and sell almost constantly on Ebay. A few minor bad things at first, part of the learning curve. But its an auction, "ya buys ya ticket, yas takes ya chances." Thats part of the fun. We bid when we see something, the maximum we will pay. Sometimes, with shipping, its cheaper than we can get around here. But we are kind of out there, not the end of the world, but you can see it from here. Some things we get on Ebay are just not available here without a days trip to a Wallyworld. And some of the things we bid higher on, you cant get there. We bought an owners manual for our twinkie, mint condition for $15 with shipping. We bid on so much of the AS stuff, I am sure we have bid against some of you, and probably have bought some of your stuff. Overall, we enjoy Ebay.
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 08:34 AM   #31
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Ebay!!!!!! Lets see 73 airstream 31ft for under $3,000 and a 89 Chevy Sub. rustfree 2500 454 with under 90,000 $2,800 a pullrite hitch for $350 Prodigy brake control for $89 Now if i could find a new Girlfriend on Ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2003, 12:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Now if i could find a new Girlfriend on Ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Make sure the item is described in minute details, with plenty of pictures.

Otherwise your "girl" friend may be of the type you can catch in a back alley.
Like a bad deal on an Airstream: the plumbing does not work the way it used to.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote