Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2003, 06:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Wink Texas Drivers are Scary on Ice!

Here in Chicago, they just broadcast pictures of the ice storms blasting parts of Texas and other southern areas.

They featured pictures of drivers spinning their tires, people ganged up behind and pushing cars, and several wrecks (accidents?). One was a car traveling alone on a divided highway, just losing control and spinning into the concrete wall (no injuries other than pride...).

I think that people there are not used to it, and don't take it seriously! That is, they don't realize how to safely drive when it gets ugly out there... I hope I don't have to drive there in bad weather because the locals will cream me!

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:21 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Texas Drivers are Scary on Ice!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil and/or Sue
Here in Chicago, they just broadcast pictures of the ice storms blasting parts of Texas and other southern areas.

They featured pictures of drivers spinning their tires, people ganged up behind and pushing cars, and several wrecks (accidents?). One was a car traveling alone on a divided highway, just losing control and spinning into the concrete wall (no injuries other than pride...).

I think that people there are not used to it, and don't take it seriously! That is, they don't realize how to safely drive when it gets ugly out there... I hope I don't have to drive there in bad weather because the locals will cream me!
Yeah the news here loves showing this one shot of this Ice storm we had a few years back where a MARTA (our mass transit) bus is spinning out on a on ramp to I 75 EVERY time we have the treat of winter weather.
We simply have so little winter weather that they have minimal equipment to deal with it. A 2 inch snow that sticks and freezes will shut Atlanta down for 2 day's.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:18 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I have driven in the ice and snow in Wisconsin and Arkansas even though I have lived here for 15 years. It has been a while but I still have a little of the good winter driving habits in my blood. The worst thing of all is a native Texas driver in a 4x4 sport utility, I was behind one this morning on my way to work. They would drive like heck until they got to a bridge and as soon as they got on the bridge they would hit the brakes, not before the bridge, ON THE BRIDGE!! After about 2 or 3 bridges and the same nonsense I decided to pass it but no way, they would't have that happen!! Figured it would be better to just drop back and see what happens, nothing, so I guess they were lucky, this time.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:05 PM   #44
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
OK Mr. Irwin, it is summer officially and finally getting into the 80's here. I haven't seen any weather reports from the southern tier lately, how is it doing there?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:25 PM   #45
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Currently

High eighties and some low ninetys. A lot of rain about a week ago, so everything is green and growing.

We don't camp as much in July and August, as much to avoid crowds and families with kids as to avoid the heat. We're taking the trailer to Lampasas Friday (I have a gig there Friday night) and Saturday, we will go to Colorado Bend State Park for a cave tour. 2 1/2 mile hike to get to the cave and flashlights and hard hats required. Saturday night, back to Lampasas. Like most things in the Texas summer, the cave thing is done by about 1PM when it gets hot.

Other places we go in hot weather are the lakes and the Hill Country. We hike quite a bit early morning and evening. Outside of the afternoons, the heat isn't very much worse than where I grew up in central PA. It even seems to cool off better here than I remember as a kid when I used to sleep outside in a hammock in the summer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I don't know where John has been hangin' out at lately but today it was awful, downright miserable hot!! Near 100 where I am with this "heat index" thing of 107 degrees! The humidity needs to be factored in.

I usually go to the lake quite a bit this time of the year.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 09:52 PM   #47
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Chas

I worked outside, collecting seeds at the Wildflower Center from 8 till 12 today. A bit muggy, but not bad at all. It was cloudy most of the time. I spent the afternoon at the computer and in the workshop. Spent some time outside this evening and it was quite pleasant.

Summer just makes me shift my outside activity early and late and stay in during the heat of the day.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:40 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool It was...

John,

It was so HOT here in the Northern tiers that, I finally had to breakdwn the musty old wallet to buy an A/C...lol (for the house)

Got up to the upper 80's, heard rumors that, it may have hit the 90's in some places. Now that's a summer for you!~

Pulling outa of here for the holidays at our place in Va Beach,Va.
I'll try to post some pictures later.(without the dates on them too, just for you..Shari)

Ya'll have a safe,fun-filled summer ~
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:26 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I just got my weather station on line last month. A great weather site is Weather Underground

This links to almost real time data at my home weather station. Udates every 5 minutes. I get an artificially high high temperature around 1PM because of the sun hitting my temp sensor. Have to build a shield for it.

Weather at Pick's House
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:55 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
that's cool stuff.
when do you make it mobile and go on the road with it
then there would be an Airstream Weather Station
jpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:19 AM   #51
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
so towner, you're not going to the rally? I figure I probably won't live long enough to see it in New England ever again, so its now or never.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 07:32 AM   #52
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, I think it's more than a safe bet (finally) that we poor folks up north have an official heat wave and there is now green and growth everywhere.....

John, we'll pay you back in the fall when the leaves change!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 08:19 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Washington, D.C.........

in the summertime! 97 degrees expected today, with a heat index of 105. You won't be able to see the Washington Monument by mid-afternoon due to the ozone. My weekends and holidays (to include all of next week) are spent in south Georgia. I can take hot in the country any time over hot in the city. This Friday I will move the Airstream from Fort Clinch State Park, Amelia Island, Florida, to Georgia Veterans' State Park, Lake Blackshear, Georgia. I have historically taken the family on trips that included air travel and hotel reservations. This is our first full summer with the trailer, and we can't get enough of it yet. Fishing, swimming, boating, beer and picknicking. It is great to be an American, this summer especially. Everyone have a safe and happy July 4th.......I'm out of here!
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:17 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up I'll be back..

chuck

I'll be back Monday evening..
I just don't know if it'll be in time for a day trip over to VT or not..
Because of a new "vacation schedule" formula at work, I ended up with three weeks this part of the year. After Oct 1st, I get my full 5 weeks back on the books.
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote