Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
E-bay units for sale

As of June 26th, 10:30 am, California time, there are about 21 Airstream or Argosy trailers for sale on E-bay.

They range from 1961 to 2004 models.

Of these 21 trailers, 14 of them need axles, up to and including the 2004 model. Some have very clever photo's so as not not show any more of the axle area than necessary.

Makes one wonder how good of a deal, "you really get" on E-bay.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
How could a 2004 need an axle already? Defective?
Old 06-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tremendously overloaded, for a period of time, will do it everytime.

You don't load 3000 pound axles up to 4 or 5 thousand pounds, and park it.

But, somepeople do.

Andy
Old 06-26-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
If your referring to the Bambi - it also has a reciever hitch on the back - BIG no no in my view....... Besides toasting the axle, frame could be toast.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ken J

Great catch.

That hitch receiver on the rear end of that 2004 Bambi, spells many possible problems.

Yet, someone has bid over $12,000.00 for it.

Hopefully, they have enough money to get the necessary repairs done as well.

I think the big point here is that all too many times, the (innocent) seller (?) cons a very innocent buyer into nothing but trouble.

E-bay should come up with an insurance program that has an escape clause, when a person gets stung.

Andy
Old 06-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Good call

I am getting ready to put the Overlander up for sale on Ebay. There are electrical issues that I haven't been able to figure out. My auntie financier wants me to keep the issues to a minimum. Honestly, I don't know if it has any other issues than electric, because I can't test the systems.

The one thing that I DO know is that the breaks and axle are good. That was the first thing I had checked out. The electrical continues to leave me confused.

Hoping to get out of it at least what we've sunk into it.... not out to screw anyone....???

Ron
Old 06-27-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Ron.

What's the electric issue on the 76?

Perhaps I can help you.

Andy
Old 06-28-2004, 04:33 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Andy.That is an intriguing post.How can you tell from a photo that an Airsteam needs a new axle?I ask as I am not up on this and am about to travel 700 miles to look at a 76 excella 500 before closing the deal.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:29 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Andy.That is an intriguing post.How can you tell from a photo that an Airsteam needs a new axle?I ask as I am not up on this and am about to travel 700 miles to look at a 76 excella 500 before closing the deal.
Simon,
Run a board search on "axles" it basically has to do with the amount of tire showing in the wheel well. The more tire the better the axle. IIRC the top of the wheel well should be just at the top of the tire or no more than a few finger widths covering the edge of the tire. If all you see is rim the axles are toast.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Simon,
Run a board search on "axles" it basically has to do with the amount of tire showing in the wheel well. The more tire the better the axle. IIRC the top of the wheel well should be just at the top of the tire or no more than a few finger widths covering the edge of the tire. If all you see is rim the axles are toast.

Aaron
I have been trying to post a picture of the wheel area of the trailer I have under option for your comment.No success yet but here goes again.If picture comes up would you knowlegeable folk comment on likelyhood of axle replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	7402  
Old 06-29-2004, 12:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
One thing I have noticed that we are doing is comparing wheel wells that are designed different. The last post has a newer style that is actual up higher then say my 1972. So this is not a good comparison. I will also attach two other pictures to this post. Look at my personal photo directory here.

If you look at my photo's My tire is up in the wheel well. However I will tell you that I have had my axle inspected. With normal loading I am sitting at a neutral or level. You are allowed up to 5 degrees before you can truly say there is a failure. (I would like to have it at a downward angle but I would also like to have a new trailer.) I have seen brochures that are of brand new trailers in that model year and there might be about 1 inch of tire showing above mine.

As for the 2004 unit the wheel well trim on that particular unit does sit lower then say a classic trailer by Design. So I would hesitate saying it was bad unless you would have indeed look at it personally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wwt.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	7408   Click image for larger version

Name:	wwt2.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	7409  

Old 06-29-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Suck it up, GET UNDERNEATH!!

One of our Forum members has the signature, "suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time!"

Alter that to, "If you're gonna spend the bucks, do it right! Don't stand there taking photos, go underneath your potential new "home" and LOOK AT THE AXLES!" It's worth the little bit of dirt and you'll be getting to know your rig a little bit.

Connie
Old 06-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Connie.

If you had been folowing this thread you would know:

[1]I am 700 miles away from the prospective purchase and so cannot get under the trailer.

[2] I am trying to find out what to look for when I am able to get under the trailer.

Have learned from many posters here but find yours more than a bit trite.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Connie has the right idea, just mis- placed in this particular thread. Lets keep it constructive!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Simon.

The axles on that trailer look reasonably OK. However, I don't know if the trailer is up on blocks, which would make bad axles look good. Also I cannot tell what load is in the trailer when those photo's were made. That could make a difference as well.

To learn how to check them out, go to our web site, inlandrv.com

Click on articles, the click on the "Dura-torque" axle article.

Print it, file it away, then you can refer to it at your convenience.

Andy
Old 06-29-2004, 04:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Simon

It think its hard to determine from looking at a picture unless you can't see the top of the wheel. I think that's what Andy is looking at. In your case it your wheels look a little on the low side which would indicate a worn axle.

Look at www.inlandrv.com which is Andy's site and it will explain what to look for - basically there is a swing arm that is attached to the frame and also to the wheel - looks kinda like a bone - if the arm is pointing up from the frame, good chance its worn. Another test I like, is if there is anyway you can find a new Airstream dealer near you is go inside a new unit - get the feel of what it should feel like and see what the unit you are looking at feels like. If you can't go into a new trailer I would still bounce around it - should not be stiff. Another question I would ask the owner is how much the unit gets used - a sitting trailer (like most of us) will get stiff if its not used.

If you can get the owner to e-mail you a picture of the swing arm that might save you a 700 mile trip.

Having said all that, I would just figure the unit needs a new axle and figure that into the cost of the unit - I think new axles brings up the trailer to basically a brand new unit - especially if you buy all new brakes/bearings etc.

Keep in mind a worn axle will not prevent it from being towed nor will if fall apart on the highway - just make for a rough ride on the trailer.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:40 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Ken and Andy. Thanks for your replies.
Andy.I believe the trailer was loaded for a weekend and it was attached to the tow vehicle at side of road when photo done.Do not think it was on blocks.

Researching these threads leads me to believe the photo indicates axles not in need of immediate attention.

Thanks to this thread I now know better what to look for and will do so at inspection on Saturday
Old 06-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Simon-

You might want to check out the thread "So you want to buy a unit three states away" in the Community Section. There may be someone in the neighborhood that could help you out inspecting the unit before you hand over your hard earned $$$$$$$$$.

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote