Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2008, 08:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Know what ya mean, some folks are just plain anal about flushing.
Oh, don't you know? They eat out of those things!

Lynn
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

I go with the flow.

I use the enzyme treatment in which you want " something " in the black tank for the enzymes to feed on. But if there is no line, I rinse a few times. Sometimes it is easier to flush at home, and sometimes I want to get on the road fast.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Most folks are considerate. Triple T in Tucson can get backed up on Sunday's in the evening with everyone coming home. There will be 4 or 5 in line at a time and everyone is pretty much just getting it done with a Black, grey, and stow it away.

One time a guy in front of me went over the top. He was in such a hurry that he did not let his hose drip out all that good and when stowing, the excess hose water ended up flowing out the end all over his hands. He wiped them on his pants, jumped in, and drove on. That is a little more consideration than I am capable of. I just hope he washed up before his next meal .
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #24
Razorback

2005 30' Classic
Springdale , Arkansas
If there is no line, we do the full flush. If anyone is behind us waiting, we empty the tanks, rinse the hose and be on our way. We give it the full flush at the next place we stay. We always try to be courteous to others as there have been times when we were extended some courtesy.

Sid and Becky
2005 Classic 30 "Twinkie II"
Hensley Arrow
2008 Bighorn 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins
WBCCI Member At Large #2786

Life is not a dress rehearsal, live your dreams!
razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Most of the places we stay have sewer hook-ups, but occasionally we stay at a state park or other camp ground that doesn't have them. On those occasions I must admit that I take my time and clean out the black tank while at the dump station with the built-in flush system. I try to hurry and don't do as good of a job as I would at a camp site, though, but I do try to get it cleaned out.

BTW, I wear vinyl gloves and use hand sanitizer afterwords. This is the grossest part of camping.

I also carry a container of swimming pool chlorine because once I had an "RV moment" when I pulled the black tank valve and the hose connector where I had two sections of hose came apart and spilled a good portion of the contents of the black tank on the ground. Double The poor family at the camp site behind us was eating their breakfast on the picnic table...they quickly packed up and left. I now have a hose connector that uses a metal retainer that spirals up the reinforcing wire to keep the sections from coming off. No spillage since!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
We got up at the crack of dawn to be first at the dump station but were beat out by the crack of Dan....Don't get me wrong, this person was very polite and friendly but there is more to dump station etiquette than politeness! Please be courteous to those behind you...no plumbers, PLEASE!
Steve...you crack me up! That photo says it all! I just want to know, did you urge him to say, "Cheese"?
Cheers! Karin
Attached Images

"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results".
Sir Winston Churchill
Luminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
We got up at the crack of dawn to be first at the dump station but were beat out by the crack of Dan....Don't get me wrong, this person was very polite and friendly but there is more to dump station etiquette than politeness! Please be courteous to those behind you...no plumbers, PLEASE!
That guy could use some crack paste. Caca Pasa.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
HIHO AG MAN
We are newbies this yr, this may gross out some people But We walked over the to dump station and watched about 3 people dump and talked to each and got thier version of "DA DUMP STATION".When we first took a dump we kinda waited till we saw no one in line. We went over and used what we had learned by watching. First time in and out 10-12 minutes tops.
The second outing we did really good by leaving a little later after everyone else. This time we had a collapseable hose with us,it was fortunate because there was water but no rinse hose.
Long story short, in an out in 10 minutes or less with included rolling up the collapseable hose.So we think watching others take a dump was benaficial to us taken a speedy DUMP. Does anyone think 10 minutes is to long or do we need to practice taken a dump
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If there's nobody waiting we do the full monte...if there are people waiting, we do the short routine... Unfortunately, not everyone does it this way. We must be onn a different schedule than the rest of the world, though, because we usually don't have to wait, nor is there a line. Maybe we're just lucky.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Wait, your supposed to dump something? Is that why it's stinking back there?

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone View Post
You made me laugh!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #32
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
.... Does anyone think 10 minutes is to long or do we need to practice taken a dump
Roger
I guess it depends. How fast can you get through a Reader's Digest?

Seriously, the hard part is cleaning out the inside of the rinsewater hose.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
My manual has a diagram for a device that eliminates dumping altogether. It connects to your tow vehicles exhaust and basically incinerates the waste as you go down the highway. Don't know what it smells like for vehicles behind you, but i'll bet it ain't like fresh-baked cookies!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
The Flying J Dump....

We like to purchase diesel fuel at Flying J's. Many of them have dump stations right at the diesel pump. I should note for those unaware that this is at the RV/Car/Light Truck diesel side of things and NOT where the big rigs hang out.

Any rate, my blood boils when we wind up behind someone who not only takes the time to pump many gallons of fuel but then starts on the dump of the waste tanks. Grrrrr. Lots of other unhappy want to be fuel purchasers in line as well.

And yes, the mess that some leave behind is unbelievable. It can, unfortunately be worse; when they are dumping next to you while you are filling up and they manage to spill everywhere. The spillage at these places is beyond belief.

If I may quote that famous Mama person, Ms. Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does!".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program....

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Redshed
I think we did rather well, considering. We had to break-out our own rinse hose cause state park we were at did not provide one or someone stole it.Probably the later. Yes,the rinsing of the big slinky hose is the worst. OH,am I suppose to get drownded by the rinse hose sprayer,my wife says thats part of dump-station procedure.We actually did a dump and rinse and go I did a finish rinse and a tank treatment when we got home.
Oh I don't read really fast so there wasn't time for Readers Digest.
Roger
Old 07-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I prefer the Cousin Eddie approach - park in front of an in-law's house and put it down the storm sewer. A beer helps the job to go smoothly too.

"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
They key in my opinion is dumping the black tank as full as possible. For example at Moraine View, I added an additional 21 gallons of fresh water at my site. Prior to leaving our site I filled the remaining space in the black and grey tanks with fresh water pumped from the fresh water tank. When I got to the dump station I emptied a full black tank and then a full grey tank.

Any residue left in either tank is so minor, it's not worth the effort to do multiple flushes of the tank. So instead of sitting at the dump station doing multiple flushes, fill both tanks before leaving your site and then dump. You will find the dump process goes quickly. I've always followed this practice on my trailers and have never experience a clog or buildup.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone View Post

No, seriously.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Hummmm never thought of Adding water. We will try that.Thats also a little less weight to bring home. Actually it would be better to have a pressure built up and the additional water would dilute what ever solids are there. Good Point we will try it.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gparker View Post
My manual has a diagram for a device that eliminates dumping altogether. It connects to your tow vehicles exhaust and basically incinerates the waste as you go down the highway. Don't know what it smells like for vehicles behind you, but i'll bet it ain't like fresh-baked cookies!
Greg, there was a brochure for the Thermasan in my '74 Argosy -- the PO didn't actually install it however. See posts at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ence-8635.html.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote