Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

East Falmouth , Massachusetts
Double vs Single sinks

Hello from Cape Cod...

I am puzzled about something regarding Airstream's choice of kitchen sinks. To me, a double sink is the way to go as I have washed a million dishes in my life and find that set-up very convenient. Now, as I spend my evenings reviewing Airstream floor plans, I see lots of round/oval sinks and not many doubles. Why is that? Am I so different? Most women I know like them -- wash/rinse. Maybe it is an age thing as I am in my early sixties. Your thoughts and comments on this would be helpful and appreciated.

Many thanks!

AKristine
AKristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We removed the double sink in our 61 and replaced it with a single. Gained more counter space. Our single sink is rectangular and we set an ice cube storage bin in it which uses only about half the sink and wash dishes in that. Just put them in vertically and spin them a couple times.
This works quite well and saves gallons of water , which as boondockers is important to us. We use the storage bins in the bathroom sink as well.
These of course are the bins used to store ice cubes, not make them..
It probably is a different approach than most use but works well for us.

The Airstream round sink is pretty good size and I have wondered if you could put some kind of agitator on the bottom of a sink cover and wash clothes in it
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKristine View Post
Now, as I spend my evenings reviewing Airstream floor plans, I see lots of round/oval sinks and not many doubles. Why is that?
In my Airstream Interstate, there is one oval sink, with a fold-down facuet and a hinged black glass cover. With facuet and cover folded down, it expands the otherwise scarce countertop space. And matches the fold-down black glass cover on the two-burner propane stove, too.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the single sinks are plenty enough, and encourage one to be conscious of how much water you are using.

Unless you are hooked up to fresh water and sewage all the time, you just can't use water in your RV like you would at home. It also depends on the kind and extent of camping/traveling you intend to do.

The single sink is less convenient, but gets the job done. We run a little water in the bottom of the dishpan, add some Dawn or use the dish wand, wash most everything in that water, rinse with clean and set aside to drain. Voila! Dishes are done.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
We just switched from the double to a round single in our International. The wife sure did complain about the switch but once we started camping, this weekend for the first time in the new trailer she did not say a word. The sink is large and very deep, I set a large bowl in the center and washed the dishes in the bowl and then rinsed them under the faucet and dried and then put away. The wife likes to use a dish drain pan, I dry as I go. It turned out to be a non issue.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It's about making everything fit and usable. Two sinks can be fitted, but they are small. One big round sink is very usable for washing lots of things, its the rinsing that takes imagination. Those who have figured out their way of doing it love the big round sink. Those who can't or don't want to adapt, will not, and they won't like it. (We have had both in Airstreams, but prefer the big round sink.)

That's why they sell big Airstreams for some, and even bigger fifth wheels/motor homes for others. It must be balanced with how much camper you're willing to drag around the country, and how much tractor you need to move it.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I have a double sink in the Argosy, but it's laughably shallow. I have 2 plastic things my granny would have called "dish tubs" that I use for several things... they fit nicely in the cabinet below the sink to hold items during travel, and they make it easier to wash dishes because they're larger and deeper than the sink bowls. Also, for my '70s trailer with tiny holding tanks, they allow me to decide where my wash water goes after the dishes are done if I don't have full hookups.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Years ago we replaced the small, rectangular, single sink in our 2002 19' Bambi with a considerably larger, oval, single sink. Obviously not to save water, but to have something large enough for a plate to lie flat on the bottom of the sink. That brings me to the reason for not necessarily having a double sink in an Airstream. For most Airstreams, a double sink which would fit would probably have sink-bowls smaller than many owners would like.

As an aside, prior to buying our Airstream, we had lots of experience with small sinks -- we had two VW campers and those sinks were small!

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
We have double sinks in both our Airstream and Cayo and like it that way. The Cayo being a smaller camper has extremely small sinks and is fine for two people. With the Airstream we travel with 5 and sometimes entertain beyond that so we need space to clean everything up.

With a single sink either you have to spray rinse, which uses more water, or have one or two tubs to divide the sink or make rinse space. Kinda defeats the simplicity and space advantages IMO since you then have to have room for the tubs.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
With a single sink either you have to spray rinse, which uses more water, or have one or two tubs to divide the sink or make rinse space. Kinda defeats the simplicity and space advantages IMO since you then have to have room for the tubs.
A collaspible washbasin that folds sort-of flat takes up little space in transit, and has so many uses besides just washing dishes. Such as carrying your toiletries when going to the public showers, just to name one. And when you eat dinner at the picnic table, it's just as easy to load the dishes right into the washbasin to carry them inside to the sink, so why not wash them in the basin, too, and just rinse in the sink?

I carry my washbasin, uncollapsed, inside the microwave while traveling, as it lets me store items in the microwave (inside the washbasin) that would otherwise damage the microwave if left to rattle around freely.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
With a large single sink you can soak, soap and scrub dishes, pots and pans. For rinsing I use a hand-held plant mister spray bottle at close range while holding the dish over the sink. It removes all soap residue from the dish and uses far less water than a sink based spray head that is part of the trailer's pressurized water system. Frugality with water is a camping virtue.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

What a great idea with the mister! And everything you said about the single sink makes sense...thank you. Sometimes it is hard thinking out of the box or out of the sink if you will. If you don't mind me asking,what was it about the 16 foot that got you to purchase it? I am in the research mode and want to end up making the right decision. K
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We also have had double sinks although they were so small that a plate wouldn't fit flat. Useless! On our current rehab project we have removed the double sinks and opted for a 15" round sink that is fairly deep. The sink has semi-circular removable cutting board insert to both extend counter space and use as a landing zone for hot stuff.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Not true. You can spray rinse, but don't have to.

We have a round, deep sink and two round washbasins which nest inside and hold handsoap, the dish wand and an occasional cantaloupe in transit. The underneath basin is used for cleaning and the occasional sponge bath.

These are easily found in the outdoor goods section at Walmart in spring and summer, several colors. We have a deep red.

Maggie
Old 03-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
. . . If you don't mind me asking,what was it about the 16 foot that got you to purchase it? I am in the research mode and want to end up making the right decision. K
The 16' Wee Wind is the most original late 1940's Airsteam I've ever seen, so I purchased it to preserve it more than use it for long term camping. It is a hard-sided tent with cold running water only after you attach a garden hose, with an ice box only after you have replenished the large block of ice every day or so, and with an unvented interior butane heater that I've never lit. When I use it, I adopt myself to the trailer rather than adopting it to me, so use is occasional and primarily in the summer when I show it at vintage Airsteam events such as this one (once there, select Airstreams (06:24):

Vintage Colorado : Rocky Mountain PBS

The trailer I use for camping is the 1953 21' Flying Cloud, which has been upgraded from original with modern conveniences such as a larger propane-electric refrigerator, a pressurized water system with water heater, toilet and shower, and a cross-ways rear double bed onto which stuff can be tossed to get it out of sight during the daytime. The 21' length is ideal as it provides enough living and storage space while retaining a small agile footprint.

Back to sinks to emphasize an important point made by Janet and others: a typical RV double sink to too small to lay or stack dinner plates flat in the bottom of either half, whereas a single RV sink is usually large enough to accomplish this goal. Soap 'em up, mist them off, and air dry them in a dish rack makes for happy camping.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Lots of energy on this in a number of posts. I've seen some posts where people rave over the double sinks. My new trailer has the single large sink. It's awesome. I can even get the BBQ grill in it. Think it saves space and when it's covered I have a fair amount of countertop.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Hello everyone -- !
On my way home from Boston today, I stopped into Colonial Airstream again to see the inside of a few Airstreams but mostly to check out the round sinks in real time. I didn't have much time on this occasion. The round sinks are deep, large and look great...much bigger than I thought from sites on the Internet! I really appreciate all of your comments, observations, etc., thank you. This forum is terrific and I'm so glad I joined. Now I can put aside the sink issue and continue to consider size, plus front bedroom versus rear -- my next thread!

All good wishes!

AKristine
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
front bedroom versus rear -- my next thread!

All good wishes!

AKristine
That's been asked a couple times.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...oms-27227.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...bed-62826.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...b-r-94668.html
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Atl Bch , Florida
Quote:
Hello from Cape Cod...

I am puzzled about something regarding Airstream's choice of kitchen sinks. To me, a double sink is the way to go as I have washed a million dishes in my life and find that set-up very convenient. Now, as I spend my evenings reviewing Airstream floor plans, I see lots of round/oval sinks and not many doubles. Why is that? Am I so different? Most women I know like them -- wash/rinse. Maybe it is an age thing as I am in my early sixties. Your thoughts and comments on this would be helpful and appreciated.

Many thanks!

AKristine
Everyone's taste will be different. Look at sinks that you're comfortable with their size, and use that as a guide for your choice. I have been through a few remodels over the past few years, and I have made good choices, and not so good choices. All of which I have to either live or work with.

Right now I am in the middle of replacing my entire AS galley. I have taken out the original double sink [realllly, realllly small]. I am also taking out the cabinets to make for more headroom. I have bought a small 30" sink base and a 21" x 16" undermount stainless steel sink [from amazon - 11 gauge, commercial grade, and very sturdy]. I have picked out butcher block counter tops from Ikea [very reasonable, and I can use the sink hole cutout to cover the sink when not in use]. I took out the stove, and am placing my mini fridge in that area, and adding a drop table at the end of the counter nearest the sink. All in all, I am looking forward to a galley that is usable, not just pretty.

Best of luck in your decision!

-----------
1971 Land Yacht Trade Wind, front living area, twin beds [one being removed for extra storage], half bath [currently being upgraded to full shower!
SilverSunny is offline   Reply With Quote